New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into doing a Colt XM177 vietnam build but since I dont have a preban lower I cannot have the 5.5" flashhider perm attached to it. For those that do not know these are 11.5" barrel uppers with a 5.5" perm flash hider on them.

Anyways Since I don't wanna sleeve the hider and block off the ports cause it just doesnt look right I was looking into other options. I found this.

US Machinegun: 5.5 Inch Ported Muzzle Brake for AR-15 1/2x28 Threads, AR-15 & AR10 PARTS & ACCESSORIES, AR-PRT28

Now I called them and talked to the owner on the phone and he said it was more of a comp then anything. It's not really gonna suppress flash with all the holes. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Nice looking gun! I think you have to look at the end of it to be sure,if its got just a hole for the bullet your fine.If its fully opened it can be debatable,I think thas how it goes?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am not very versed in the tactical firearms dept but have been wondering...and i don't think this strays too far off topic. since we have to have a barrel over 16" on the rifle. I see a lot of folks getting shorter barrels and adding the brakes on the ends to get over 16. so if we have to get over 16, why not get over 16 with a barrel?I mean a real barrel. seems like a short barrel doesn't offer any weight reduction since we would have to add onto it to get above 16 anyways. So why not a 16 1/8" barrel to get more advantage ballistically. An 11" barrel is almost a long pistol barrel.

I am seriously wondering the advantage of a component like you are looking to put on since I will hopefully be doing a build in the future.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I see in this picture it looks open at the end,would like to know if this is legal and reason/advantage for using it instead of a 16" barrel as well..

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
On the bottom it says they cant sell it to you if its illegal in your state. It also says you can contact them for questions about legality. It says its a muzzle break but I cant be sure. I say email them asking and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the bottom it says they cant sell it to you if its illegal in your state. It also says you can contact them for questions about legality. It says its a muzzle break but I cant be sure. I say email them asking and see what they say.
When i talked to him on the phone(owner) he was aware I was in NY as we were discussing the crummy laws. Said if I ordered today then I should have it the end of the week.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
The hole in the end is huge, it's a flash hider. I see it's threaded so maybe a bushing will make it legal.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one on order from model 1 sales for my pre-ban lower. It's no question a flash hider and they refer to it as such. They also sell an AWB version, but that one with the holes isn't it.

Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 XM177 Upper
I know they sell them. Those are the ones i was considering ordering until today when I called them and asked about their AWB version. The AWB version is basically just a extension tube made to look like the hider but has no holes in it. Not a fan of the way it looks. Also their barrels are not chrome lined.

I'm looking for a true legal 5.5" brake to use so i can order a real 11.5 or 10.5" upper thats chrome lined. I just prefer to stay away from non chrome lined myself. Also they model 1 is 6-7 weeks behind they said. I like instant gratification if possible.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Wildman...Is this purely a looks thing or is their a functional advantage to what you want to do

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wildman...Is this purely a looks thing or is their a functional advantage to what you want to do
It's purely a look thing and if I'm gonna do it I want it correct. If i don't build it the correct way I will never be happy with it and end up selling it, losing money and costing me more in the end! It's only gonna be a short distance rifle anyways and will be more then accurate for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My understanding is that anything open on the end is considered a flashhider....I looked at the ones available for a long time before I dared to buy one, just so I wouldn't get the wrong one..:err:

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It looks to me a useless piece of metal. If you weld a dummy one or 'long brake' might be legal over the 16" but then why so many complications to anyway give up the precious round speed?
...just my two cents.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Somebody needs to put this on and get arrested so we can get a definitive definition of what a brake/flash hider/comp is in the states eyes.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
*touches finger to nose*

Not it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
noddit

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'll do it. But only if I can get arrested for public indecency and lewd acts involving 2 or 3 college cheerleaders who happen to be exchange students from either Brazil or Sweden. I'll bring the gun with, just to get the opinion if someone else can arrange the 'crime' for me.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'll do it. But only if I can get arrested for public indecency and lewd acts involving 2 or 3 college cheerleaders who happen to be exchange students from either Brazil or Sweden. I'll bring the gun with, just to get the opinion if someone else can arrange the 'crime' for me.
I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC. Why don't you go ahead and have a seat on that stool? Right over there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts