New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this fancy (sarcasm) little Walther P22 which I like to shoot with a suppressor attached, but having the suppressor on there causes a tremendous amount of dirt to stay inside the trigger assembly and all the little nooks and crannies of the gun and it is impossible to get cleaned unless I disassemble everything out of the frame of the gun, which I am not really interested in doing. The dirt causes a gritty feeling to the hammer/trigger which does not impede the function of the gun but annoys the hell out of me.

Does anyone currently use any aerosol spray cleaner to blast out the dirt and grime from those impossible to reach places of their guns? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
remington spray cleaner/solvent or similar to get the worse out.
then copper solvent for the barrel.
For any hard to clean parts there is no substitute for ultrasonic cleaning when possible like
Ultrasonic is perfect for AR bolt carrier groups, brakes, suppressors, etc...
I also use honda motorcycle/sports vehicle spray wax. It is perfect inside and out of guns
and they stay clean longer. This light wax is also a great weather barrier.
A couple of drops of a light machine oil on the slide is all is needed. Don't over lube as this
attracts more dust and debris accumulation.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
/Hate you!

anyways, when I was on active duty we had a couple tricks to cleaning our rifles very thoroughly,

option A: toss the complete rifle (bolt open) into the solvant tank for 24 hours... Nice and clean lol

option B: cheap ass dollar store shaving cream! Get it into all the books and crannys and let it turn from foam to ****, then you rinse it under water and get some light oil on it after it dries.

Option b is what I primarily used and I can say that it works wonders on cleaning lowers especially since sand gets Everywhere!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
remington spray cleaner/solvent or similar to get the worse out.
then copper solvent for the barrel.
For any hard to clean parts there is no substitute for ultrasonic cleaning when possible like
Ultrasonic is perfect for AR bolt carrier groups, brakes, suppressors, etc...
I also use honda motorcycle/sports vehicle spray wax. It is perfect inside and out of guns
and they stay clean longer. This light wax is also a great weather barrier.
A couple of drops of a light machine oil on the slide is all is needed. Don't over lube as this
attracts more dust and debris accumulation.
Yeah I was leaning towards some rem oil in the aerosol can to blast the gritty stuff out of the inner workings without having to do a full disassembly...just curious if anyone else had any other brands they had used and really liked....thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/Hate you!

anyways, when I was on active duty we had a couple tricks to cleaning our rifles very thoroughly,

option A: toss the complete rifle (bolt open) into the solvant tank for 24 hours... Nice and clean lol

option B: cheap ass dollar store shaving cream! Get it into all the books and crannys and let it turn from foam to ****, then you rinse it under water and get some light oil on it after it dries.

Option b is what I primarily used and I can say that it works wonders on cleaning lowers especially since sand gets Everywhere!
I have used the shaving cream trick in an issued M4 and an M9, I just dont know how hot to trot I am to use that on my own personal weapons!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Birchwood Casey: Product Details

The gun scrubber works great for trigger assembly cleaning/blasting.
This stuff works well for me also. I go through quite a bit but if there's anything stubborn, I take a wire brush and hit it a few times after soaking it in the gun scrubber. Wipe down any excess and let it dry. Follow that with a liberal dose of Remoil. Unless it's a barrel - chrome lined gets shooters choice and non lined get hoppes.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use wd-40. I'm sure I'll catch alot of flak for saying that, but wd-40 does its job perfectly. hoppes 9 for the bore wd-40 for the actions and exterior metal. Now I dont know about pistols, but it works fine for all of my semi .22 rifles, lever actions etc.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I won't give you hell for it, but you should NOT be using WD40.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
been using it as long as i have been shooting, no problems yet.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I bought a Rger Mark 2 from a friend earlier this year, he owned the gun for quit a few years and never took it part to clean the action. All he ever done was put a patch down the barrel. When I took it a part the insides looked like old grease on the side of a stove that had never been cleaned. I used Brake Cleaner for auto brakes, I sprayed it down and blew it out with my air compressor, another spraying down and blow it out again. hen applied some rem oil. I have several friends who use auto brake cleaner to remove old dirt & grime from abused firearms. It's amazing how many people never properly clean their firearms.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought a Rger Mark 2 from a friend earlier this year, he owned the gun for quit a few years and never took it aprt to clean the action. All he ever done was put a patch down the barrel. When I took it a part the insides looked like old grease on the side of a stove that had never been cleaned. I used Brake Cleaner for auto brakes, I sprayed it down and blew it out with my air compressor, another spraying down and blow it out again. hen applied some rem oil. I have several friends who use auto brake cleaner to remove old dirt & grime from abused firearms. It's amazing how many people never properly clean their firearms.
I was thinking about using some brake cleaner followed by my normal lubrication (Weapons Shield), but I was hesitant to use it because I wasn't sure if it was going to damage any of the parts!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of using brake cleaner but for situations like Highlandlofts mentions, I would think for the initial cleanup it's ok. Once the coked up gunk is gone and the thing is clean and oiled, using anything actually designed for cleaning firearms would be better in the long run.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.