New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
You need more practice

12-16 must be with a parent, military officer, instructor, or someone over 18 with written permission from parent provided that person has there hunter safety class

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Good thing I never went shooting with my kids in NY. My daughter shot her first pistol match in Kitzingen Germany at the age of 8 Y/O.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I remember shooting my first 12 gauge before I was 12. I couldn't even hold up the end of the gun. My father had to help hold it up for me. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the law though.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
12 huh??? oops ... I guess doing things with the family and the kids is yet again outlawed. Oh well .. cuff me and stuff me. Where's OnPatrol??? I'll let him arrest me. HAHAHA Both of my Daughters hunt with me too. Is that a crime?? Of course I don't take them anyplace I'm unsure of nor a place where there are other hunters for safety's sake nor do they carry any weapons, but still .. they both enjoy nature as I take my bow for a walk in the woods. LOL Hmmmm .... I don't think I like that law.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12 huh??? oops ... I guess doing things with the family and the kids is yet again outlawed.
thats what i was thinking. Regardless, my son will still shoot with me on private property... never too young to learn about respecting firearms in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
You need more practice

12-16 must be with a parent, military officer, instructor, or someone over 18 with written permission from parent provided that person has there hunter safety class
Just to shoot a .22?? How about a pellet gun?? It too is a firearm. A Squirt Gun is a firearm. (It's also on the lethal weapons list in NYS because it can and will shoot a projectile albeit designed for water) Why do they make and sell the little Cricket's? Hmmmm .... stupid law!!!! Does this pertain to only public lands?? What about private property??

This law is really stupid. You're telling me that a child can get a Junior hunting license at 12 BUT they are not allowed to shoot a gun to practice with and learn how to use properly and safely prior to that?? I see a problem here. Someone should notify the Citizen Marksmanship Program and let them know that they have broken the law at events here in NY.

I'm not trying to be a smartazz but I really don't see the need for this law when the child is with a parent. If a gun club wants to impose an age rule that's one thing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I take my eight year old grandson to the range with me and he shoots his Henry 22, and yes if anyone is wondering this is a club that has been around since 1958 with a large membership and lots of young shooters..

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Fortunately, my 6 y/o is still at that age when he is around me, I am the law... He's a pretty good shot, too, but we must have been in PA when that happens ;) He drives a boat better than most adults I know too. Teach them young and teach them well; they'll be better people for it when they're older despite what Chucky and Bloomy want you to believe.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Actually the law states 16. The Econ law makes an exception for 12 to 16 under the proper circumstances.

S 265.05 Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen.
It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to
possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which
the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or
weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges
may be used, or
any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous
knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition
therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to
article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in
accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Actually the law states 16. The Econ law makes an exception for 12 to 16 under the proper circumstances.

S 265.05 Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen.
It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to
possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which
the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or
weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges
may be used, or
any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous
knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition
therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to
article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in
accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section.
Only in the PRNY ...... the more i know about this republic the more I believe I am in the 7th level of Hell.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did you try the search function before asking your question?
That's just plain rude, really I thought the idea of this forum is to share information and to foster our 2nd amendment rights and history.
Manners are free they cost nothing to use, Really?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts