New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of a limit too the number of firearms a person can own.
And a limet to the munber you can have outside your home. ?
I WAS TOLD TODAY THA THE LIMIT IS 20 and 3
I call BS

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Unlimited in your home, outside I think it is 20.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
There is no limit to LEGALLY owned guns.

People read the penal code that says if you possess more than 10 firearms then it's criminal possession of a weapon. But you have to read the definition of a "firearm" in the penal code and it's basically any illegal gun (short barreled rifle or shotgun, pistol for which you do not have a permit).

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Other than NYC, or other localities which may have enacted their own ordinances, there is no limit within your home.

I do believe that there is a limit in your possesion outside of your home. I want to say that I recall hearing 5, but I will have to search.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
There is no limit to LEGALLY owned guns.

People read the penal code that says if you possess more than 10 firearms then it's criminal possession of a weapon. But you have to read the definition of a "firearm" in the penal code and it's basically any illegal gun (short barreled rifle or shotgun, pistol for which you do not have a permit).
Can you link to this code? That is what I was referring to. What you said doesn't make sense, like the rest of the NY laws, but think about it: More than 10, let's say, "Pistols for which you do not have a permit." Well, 1 pistol for which you do not have a permit is already illegal.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Can you link to this code? That is what I was referring to. What you said doesn't make sense, like the rest of the NY laws, but think about it: More than 10, let's say, "Pistols for which you do not have a permit." Well, 1 pistol for which you do not have a permit is already illegal.
Laws of New York

§ 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
(5) (i) Such person possesses three or more firearms; or

and...

§ 265.04 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree.
(2) possesses ten or more firearms.

But from the definitions...

§ 265.00 Definitions.
3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique firearm.

And from the exemptions...

§ 265.20 Exemptions.

3. Possession of a pistol or revolver by a person to whom a license therefor has been issued as provided under section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter;

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Also I think its important to note that prebans are not assualt weapon under penal law.

22. "Assault weapon" means................
(e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in Appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October first, nineteen hundred ninety-three. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September fourteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four.

(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Laws of New York

and...

§ 265.00 Definitions.
3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique firearm.

§ 265.20 Exemptions.

3. Possession of a pistol or revolver by a person to whom a license therefor has been issued as provided under section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter;
Which leads to the same question...If 1 pistol without a permit is already illegal, what is 3...or 10!? o_O. Illegal++?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Which leads to the same question...If 1 pistol without a permit is already illegal, what is 3...or 10!? o_O. Illegal++?
Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree, third degree and fourth degree.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
all this legal mumbo jumbo is giving me a headache, so if i have a permit i could have 100 pistols in my car with me, but if i dont have a permit its only illegal if i have 3 or more?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
On the state level (not sure about federal lol) yes you can have as many as you want assuming no local laws make it illegal. If you have 1 illegal pistol you are still breaking the law but its not as bad as having more.

§ 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when: (1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star";

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
all this legal mumbo jumbo is giving me a headache, so if i have a permit i could have 100 pistols in my car with me, but if i dont have a permit its only illegal if i have 3 or more?
1 pistol without a permit is still illegal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for cutting through the BS. This topic should be a sticky FAQ

Keith

Laws of New York

and...

§ 265.00 Definitions.

§ 265.20 Exemptions.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I don't think it needs to be a sticky. Have an illegal gun? You're breaking the law. Have legal guns, you're fine. Pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
1 illegal gun is fourth degree. 3 is third degree, 10 is first degree.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts