New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the year the answer was "yes, no.. maybe" so now that some of the provisions of the Safe Act have been implemented, I wanted to find whether there's been a resolution regarding the legality of the possession of loaded 10-round stripper clips in NYS..

..or, should I unseal the tin crate and pluck out 3 rounds per clip to be on the safe side? -Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The bill is so poorly written, ill-conceived, and misguided the authors can't even answer that for you.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Unless the stripper clip stays in the gun (ala the M! Garand "H Clip"), IMO you are fine. It's an ammunition storage device, not an ammunition feeding device. If I'm wrong, you probably can't have more than 7 rounds in a box of ammo either.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Unless the stripper clip stays in the gun (ala the M! Garand "H Clip"), IMO you are fine. It's an ammunition storage device, not an ammunition feeding device. If I'm wrong, you probably can't have more than 7 rounds in a box of ammo either.
...which leads us to the unanswered debate about the legality of the M1 Garand en bloc clip.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
stripper clips cannot be "loaded" they are designed to keep the rounds together but they cannot be attached
to any-firearm and fired as they are.
The world clip is used in too many places for too many reasons. A clip here has little to do with any meaningful way to
provide quick reloading of the firearm.
There is no way an SKS clip is any less compliant than this under these BS statutes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Due to the ambiguity of the safe act, and the ignorance of the DA, they will dog pile as many charges onto someone to get you thrown in jail. This is where you need a very knowledgeable lawyer to fight these charges and have them thrown out.
Because of the vague language in the safe act, there will be many test cases to determine the limits of the law.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
stripper clips cannot be "loaded" they are designed to keep the rounds together but they cannot be attached
to any-firearm and fired as they are.
The world clip is used in too many places for too many reasons. A clip here has little to do with any meaningful way to
provide quick reloading of the firearm.
There is no way an SKS clip is any less compliant than this under these BS statutes.
I agree with you 100% that this is the correct answer... However, I would not put it past an ambitious and badly trained LEO to see it otherwise and to potentially cause an owner some big trouble over it. Even if something like this were to get thrown out, a person's life and livelyhood could be turned upside-down and inside-out before it was over. That's just one thing that's so terrible about these laws being so badly written and more importantly that LEO agencies are altrady making arrests based on them without any real training. How can they possibly even have training though when even the official SAFE hotline doesn't have the answers (or even consistantly give the same answers from what they do have) ?. It's a complete clusterfudge.

Mind you, I certainly intended no LEO bashing here. I'm not saying all LEOs would made this kind of mistake by any means but I have personally been harrased about gun features by officers who didn't understand the laws, and this was long before there was a safe act.. so all I'm saying is that it most certainly can happen.

If they were in a sealed crate then I'd leave them alone because, as already stated, they are legal as is.. and frankly if you have a cop in your home busting open a sealed crate then I think you'd already have bigger problems then one not knowing how the law pertains to sks strippers. Honestly though, and I know I'll catch some flak for this, but if I had them stored out somewhere I'd personally probably load them down to 7, for the time being anyway. It just wouldn't be worth it to me, between money issues and health issues and just.. living life in general, to want to potentially have to do battle over it because someone uninformed wanted to make it an issue.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Is the crate under your bed or in the trunk next to the dead hooker? One of those will probably get you charged with a safe act violation
Dead hooker??? Well that would prove the SAFE act didn't work now wouldn't it!!! Could be someone's packing more than 7 something somewhere which could have done that!! (not that I'm talking from experience or anything ... LOL)

Hex ... you're depressing me man ... c'mon ... the answer is NO it's not illegal to have 10 bullets on a STRIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CLIP! (shhhhhhhhhh)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If stripper clips were illegal people would not be selling them in NYS.
Last month got a couple of boxes of lake city M193 and that is how they come packaged from factory.
I am sure what I bought at the store was a legal transaction and I get folks are super confused. I am not
sure the value of bringing this up while we have many other real threats to worry about.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ahh my friend depends on which way the crow flies now if it be north /south your ok but east /west it's your in trouble . Or was it if you throw it in the pond and it sinks you guilty and if it floats your innocent I forget.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.