New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a desaintis sof-tuk for iwb carry. It works for both my Sig and my glock with no issues. With my Sig I carry with a round chambered, the long hard d/a pull for the first shot makes me feel that an ad/nd is impossible.

Now I've only had the g19 for about a month now and i carry it often but I never carry +1 because I'm still trying to get used to the fact the only thing keeping it from going bang is the little piece on the trigger. It just seems a soft flexable holster with a chambered glock is a bit unsafe, i would just hate to be in Walmart go to bend down and cheddar bob myself. Or go to take it out of my holster and put a hole in my pants.

So let's get down to brass tacks. In your guys oppinon is the combo of the glock in a soft iwb safe to be carried chambered?

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
It's not just the "little piece on the trigger." There should be internal safeties that you don't see from the outside.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
This is a common misconception about Glocks in general, and has everything to do with the holster (as well as mindset/safety knowledge of the person carrying) and really nothing to do with the gun itself. First and foremost, don't cut corners on the holster. Can a $16.94 cheap soft holster catch the trigger and cause a ND when you're sitting or bending over? Yes, so avoid purchasing the $16.94 holster at Walmart. Personally, I prefer solid-material kydex IWB holsters (Comp-tac among many other manufacturers make them). Trigger is completely covered while my G19 is holstered, no chance of setting it off accidentally. When you draw *properly* from a holster, your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. The more practice you can get with drawing from the holster, the better...

I've been carrying my G19 for well over a year now with no issues. I've bumped into things, taken spills, etc., no ND's. Choose a good holster - research the different brands, head to a local dealer and try some out to see what fits your preferences.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Not sure I'd be comfortable with a soft holster either; whether that's justified or not I don't know. My Durbin holster has such stiff leather, there is no way to press it in far enough to activate the trigger.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I wouldn't carry in a soft holster with a round chambered but I carry everyday with a round chambered in leather.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Not justified.

I have a DeSantis Sof-tuk. It is a cheap holster, but I would not feel uncomfortable carrying a Glock in it. In fact, I have carried a Walther PPS and Glock 26 in it (both no safety, striker-fired guns). You can do a test if you're not sure:

1. Unload gun
2. Double check its unloaded
3. Are you sure its unloaded?
4. Rack the slide to cock the striker and holster the gun
5. Try as hard as you possibly can to pull the trigger with the gun in the holster. I'm talking push as hard as you can on the leather, stick stuff inside there, bend and twist it every way you can, etc.
6. Remove gun and see if the gun "fired"

I do this with all my holsters and have yet to be successful. With the Sof-Tuk, I could definitely make contact with the trigger through the material, but I couldn't move it much at all. If I could, it would most definitely not fire because I could NOT touch the trigger safety, only the very edges of the trigger.

The only way you're going to have an accidental discharge with a Glock, other than pulling the trigger on accident, is if something gets in the trigger guard while you are holstering. One of my big issues with the Glock platform is there is no striker indicator you can "ride" into the holster. A Walther PPS for example (or XD, or Ruger SR, etc) have a piece of plastic or metal that come out of the back of the slide when the trigger is pulled. If you have your thumb on that, you will be fighting the movement of the trigger with your thumb; your thumb has to get out of the way for the gun to fire.

I digress slightly. Point is, its not a great holster but you shouldn't be paranoid using it. I would however order something else, if for no other reason that there are such nicer options out there for not much more expensive. The High Noon Mr. Softy or its variants would be one such example ($29 plus shipping).

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
XD's with the backstap safety makes sense to me. Always know the condition of your weapon and train/practice often!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This is a common misconception about Glocks in general, and has everything to do with the holster (as well as mindset/safety knowledge of the person carrying) and really nothing to do with the gun itself. First and foremost, don't cut corners on the holster. Can a $16.94 cheap soft holster catch the trigger and cause a ND when you're sitting or bending over? Yes, so avoid purchasing the $16.94 holster at Walmart. Personally, I prefer solid-material kydex IWB holsters (Comp-tac among many other manufacturers make them). Trigger is completely covered while my G19 is holstered, no chance of setting it off accidentally. When you draw *properly* from a holster, your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. The more practice you can get with drawing from the holster, the better...

I've been carrying my G19 for well over a year now with no issues. I've bumped into things, taken spills, etc., no ND's. Choose a good holster - research the different brands, head to a local dealer and try some out to see what fits your preferences.
+1 on this. Excellent advise !
I would also add that there are some excellent IWB leather holsters out there. Do some research.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The glock will not go off unless you pull the trigger. It one can send proper signals from the brain to the fingers then do not
worry about the glock or any other guns otherwise visit a neurologist ASAP.
And also buy a good quality holster like folks wisely already recommended above.

I saw this one day and though it was funny...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the glock has internal safeties as well I just wanted some advice on weather it was safe in the desantis sof-tuk. I really like the holster. For a lot of reasons. It's comfortable, fits almost all of my autos, and for the 20$ I paid for it its very durable and high quality. I think tonight ill try the unloaded gun in holster and try to make it go off. I wasnt comfortable carrying my Sig +1 either untill I played with it at the range trying to make it go bang without touching the trigger.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It's very possible for a gun to go off without YOU pulling the trigger. You could hook it on the edge of a holster when holstering, if you are dumb enough to carry without a holster then a foreign object could pull it. What I, and I think you, were worried about is the gun going off when it IS holstered by, say, material bunching up in the trigger guard and pulling it. I thought that was possible. For a few days. Not anymore. Why? I did all the methods people mentioned here. Carry a day or 2 without one in the chamber, you will see the trigger is still forward. Put your unloaded gun in a holster and then TRY you hardest to get the material into the trigger guard. You won't be able to. A decent holster has been designed with THAT IN MIND (to not provide enough excess material to let that happen).

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
It's possible for very soft leather (possibly due to age) to bunch up and cause a ND. It's happened before, but it doesn't happen often. I would suggest getting a good, stiff holster made of kydex, leather, or some other stiff material. Then you can carry +1 and not worry.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the input guys. I played with the gun in the holster for about a half hour last night and I've come to the conclusion that if holstered properly there is no way in Hell I will have a nd. I tried pressing the material in with my fingers as hard as I could and I could barely pull on the edge of the trigger, couldent even come close to touching the trigger safety.

So.... Plus one it is! Wich is a big relief. I practice alot but I still feel in a high stress situation the last thing I want to do is add one extra step and loose about 1 second wich could save my life.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
That first paragraph is exactly what I did. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts