New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so don't laugh at this question, but ya know how there's been a flap in the news about the possible bending of an iPhone 6 Plus in your pocket? Well, do I have to worry at all about carrying a spare magazine in my pocket? Like my back pocket, and sitting down? Any chance that will bend?

I haven't carried like that yet but it got me to thinking in case I do.

Specifically, I carry a Sig P238 (.380) so you get an idea of the size of the magazine.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I wouldn't, personally, carry a magazine that way. I could see the potential for bending parts of the magazine, especially the feed lips if you sit down just right on a hard seat. Plus I can't imagine it would be comfortable to sit on a piece of metal.

There's also the potential, depending on how tight your pants, to have the magazine print and be picked up by some extra-discerning person in passing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've been carrying my spare mag in my front left pocket since I started carrying. They have never bent, never broken, and never failed to perform. No issue when I had a Sig P220 and no issue with my glock. So neither aluminum sig magazines, nor plastic glocks have had problems.

I wouldn't put a magazine in my back pocket because one has my wallet, the other hasthe barrel of my pistol under it, and makes it difficult to get to. and I wouldn't want to sit on them. Uncomfortable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the input. I haven't as of yet put one in my back pocket, but to just carry it around that would be the most convenient place considering the crap I keep in my other pockets. But it may end up being uncomfortable anyway. I just figured a pouch on my belt is a little too conspicuous so I wanted it concealed somehow. I didn't "think" it would bend, but those puppies aren't that cheap either!

·
Registered
323 Posts
They're built better than iPhones are. Probably the only thing you really have to worry about is build up of pocket lint. I need to figure out a better method in my pocket too. In my jeans they just fall to the bottom and lay horizontally and print something horrible. Might have to go to the belt with them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
They're built better than iPhones are. Probably the only thing you really have to worry about is build up of pocket lint. I need to figure out a better method in my pocket too. In my jeans they just fall to the bottom and lay horizontally and print something horrible. Might have to go to the belt with them.
Mine do the same, ut I set them so I can index them while i reach in my pocket, so a reload would be a little easier. Plus I don't keep anything else in that pocket.

I don't worry to much about it printing, because nobody is going to pay that much attention to my front pocket, and they wont know the difference between a spare magazine, a phone, harmonica, or whatever else it could be.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I carry a mag for my P938 in a cordura nylon mag case in my back pocket. No problems. No lint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts