New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hmmm.........Not sure,I don't see how that is different from a stock on a skeet or trap shotgun.....The hang-up may be the type of rifle you are mounting it on,god forbid we shoot a comfortable rifle.....Grrrrr.....NY

·
Registered
273 Posts
Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher;

It's up to you to decide whether "adjustable" is folding or telescoping....

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher;

It's up to you to decide whether "adjustable" is folding or telescoping....
Yeah, thanks for the clarification. I kind of knew that... Ugh.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, if assuming you get the set up just right (presumably outside of NY), and then epoxy the $hit out of a perfectly good stock, it would be legal in NYS?

·
Registered
528 Posts
On the PRS, it's not the stock body that telescopes (a la MOE/CTR/STR/ACS/ACS-L, etc). It's the endplate :p

BUT, if we're looking at minor adjustments, any stock that has a removable buttplate falls in violation since, even on A2 fixed stocks, it's possible to add a thicker buttplate via the screws--and just as easy to remove that extended buttplate.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Exactly.......What a crock right ! I suppose the ONLY thing worse would be living in "Commufornia"......Get's a little disgusting after a while,and all this from people,most of wich don't know thier a** from a hole in the ground about guns making these laws.....<sigh>

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So are we OK or not in NY? Rhetorical question. I know you can't answer. I wonder if every law abiding gun owner moved to VT, if the gun laws in NY would become reasonable? Yeah, I know, another rhetorical question....

·
Registered
257 Posts
So are we OK or not in NY? Rhetorical question. I know you can't answer. I wonder if every law abiding gun owner moved to VT, if the gun laws in NY would become reasonable? Yeah, I know, another rhetorical question....
I would say its OK,,its a Precision Stock for gosh sakes,,its not a Collapsible stock !! Lots of guys will have there input I'm sure,,but if you are building a Bench/Precision AR,,buy it,,,install it and don't worry about it !! But then thats just me,,LOL !!! I have a buddy that has that Stock on his AR and has had it for years,,hunts with it etc,,,never had a problem with anyone asking about it !! I think your looking a bit to hard at the whole thing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The legal premise against adding a collapsible stock is that "it makes the gun more easily concealable."

But the PRS is already about the same length as an A2 stock regardless of where you have the adjustable buttplate at.

So, if the PRS were ruled an aide to concealment, then the A2 stock would also be just as easily concealable--defeating the requirement against a collapsible stock.

To me, any prosecution would clearly be on a technicality and actually proving significant criminal intent or violation would be an exercise in trying the court's patience & envelope of belief.

·
Registered
720 Posts
See this is the problem with law making. The New York legislative authority create the laws and that is as far as they go they, are not tasked with the actual enforcement of the law. Its up to the controlling enforcment authorizes to interpret the statute and create regulations, guidance and enforcement policies . So there is a lot of grey area in between the statute and the actual interpretation and enforcment of the law.

You need to get official guidance and clarification from the regulating authorities first before you purchase this. The actual statute is not going to help you here....it's all dependent upon the interpretation.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I will say if you do enough research on this, you'll find folks who will say they've been told by the NYSP and others that it's legal. You'll also see them being used on postban guns.

HOWEVER, remember - it's up to you to prove your innocence if someone decides to arrest you for having it. No amount of paperwork, signed this or that will save you from having to still deal with someone who's decided its illegal and will toss you in jail. You may end up innocent (as well you should IMO) but you still have to deal with the fallout from everything that will happen prior.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
The PRS is a fixed stock. It does not move on the tube. It does not fold. It does not collapse. It does not telescope. The BUTT PLATE can be adjusted a whole 1"!
My local LEOs (Sheriff, SP, and BCI,) have absolutely no problem with it. For any DA to go after you for having one you will have had to committed multiple serious other felonies, so if not planning these in the future, I say you're GTG with a PRS.
This being said, I live in free NY. (Western NY, with exception of Monroe County,) The OP being in Orange county so close to NYC, perhaps being paranoid might not be such a bad idea.
By the way, the PRS is heavier than the gates of you know what so not so great anyway for a carbine. Mine's on a bench rifle.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I will say if you do enough research on this, you'll find folks who will say they've been told by the NYSP and others that it's legal. You'll also see them being used on postban guns.

HOWEVER, remember - it's up to you to prove your innocence if someone decides to arrest you for having it. No amount of paperwork, signed this or that will save you from having to still deal with someone who's decided its illegal and will toss you in jail. You may end up innocent (as well you should IMO) but you still have to deal with the fallout from everything that will happen prior.
and let's not forget, IMO most judges will yank your pistol permit until it is all straightened out for lack of good judgement (in their opinion of course...)...this is just my opinion...and I think I'm right :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts