New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a resident of PRNJ, I was wondering if I could bring a black powder revolver with me when I visit family in upstate. I know NY has strick hand gun laws and I don't feel like getting jammed up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
As long as you do not have any of the components to load/fire it you should not have a problem.... But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Should be Ok as NY doesn't make us register them unless we have loading components like Justin said.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Once you get there just give it to a family member to put on their permit. When you return you can watch them shoot it because it would be illegal for you to even touch it. Ya NY sucks that bad.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Yeah, I think they set it up that way so that people who just wanted show-pieces to hang on the wall could do so without having to own a permit.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Maybe a better option is to mail it up, give your brother a week to get it on his permit then drive up the powder, balls and caps to watch him shoot it.:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll just have him come down here to use my handguns without fear of prosecution plus he gets 5 extra rounds to try and hit the target

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just bought one from carbelas and i didn't have to put it on my permit. They mailed it right to me. No FFL.

You can't unless you have a NYS permit and the gun is registered on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought one from carbelas and i didn't have to put it on my permit. They mailed it right to me. No FFL.
its not considered a firearm until you possess the materials to make it fire. Once you have those materials it needs to be on your permit, or its a felony. yes, nys sucks.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I'm confused .. I thought a BP pistol was legal to own/possess and use ... or is that only for revolver type BP pistols. I don't own any and not sure I'd want to, but I have seen a few single shot BP pistols that were very nice.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm confused .. I thought a BP pistol was legal to own/possess and use ... or is that only for revolver type BP pistols. I don't own any and not sure I'd want to, but I have seen a few single shot BP pistols that were very nice.
you can own it you just can't use it. unless you have the permit.

·
Registered
848 Posts
NYS regs are that you cannot posess the gun and the components to make it function without it being on a permit, SS or revolver. At one time, there was an exception to the rule for people shooting traditional BP handguns in a sanctioned competition in NY. They had to carry locked in a case, with a copy of the shoot program in hand. We used to have a lot of reenactors doing flint pistol competitions from out of state visit. This goes back 20+ years, so i have my doubts that it is still a valid exemption.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts