New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the guns in the house are listed on both my wife and my permit. For our first gun I had a bill of sale made out only to me so I had to write a letter, get it notarized, saying that my wife also owned the gun. To avoid that, the detective at the Clerks office said to get the bill of sale made out for both of us, which is what I've done ever since. Today I went to buy a new pistol and asked them to put both names on the bill of sale and the gun store said they couldn't. When I pressed them they said its illegal for them to do so, but I've gotten the 'its illegal' excuse multiple times when I've known it not to be true, so I always regard it suspiciously as the STFU excuse. Since I've had multiple other dealers list both of us without an issue, I have to ask: is anyone aware of any legal reason why they can't list two people on a bill of sale? Or did the store just not want to be bothered and give the standard excuse.

Thanks.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the seller doesn't run the NICS check the FFL does. Like I said, I've had other stores put both names on the bill of sale without issue. Both my wife and I then submit a copy of the BoS with our permit amendments, the county has never said we can't both use the same BoS. We receive two tickets from the judge one for each of our permits, then either of us can go to the FFL to pick up the gun. The FFL runs the check on whoever picks it up. Now maybe they should be running an NICS on both of us, but that still doesn't make it against the law, nor is it an issue for the seller, but rather for the FFL or the county.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.