New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So Ive never owned or operated a fire-arm before. But Its always been a goal of mine. Recently Ive been super interested in getting some practice in, and building a collection. Unfortunately, since this is now 3 years after the "SAFE ACT" passed, theres no way im getting an actual, true to heritage " AR-15". Ive checked this forum for awhile and Ive yet to get a definitive answer on whether or not a featureless AR-15 would really be better than a Mini 14 or a Saiga Sporter AK. It seems like we're jsut trying so hard to make the AR-15 happen. Im new to guns so I'd love to hear some opinions. Im planning on making my first purchase in a month. Ive been checking out DSI, and campsite for featureless AR options. So far im liking the spur grip + henry trigger guard for a lightweight rifle. Im not the biggest mini 14 fan but i think its pretty practical in home defense situaitons and DSI has some available. Also the saiga sporter AK seems pretty legit, and Ive heard they're well crafted and have quality parts. So to just wrap it up. Out of these 3 options , if you could only get one, and you intended to use it for home defense, and general range shooting. Would you still recommend a featureless AR-15 over a mini 14 , saiga?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I bought a mini 14 right after the unsafe act was rammed up our ass. I thought it was great but had limits as far as accuracy. I was more then happy with a 6" groups at 100yds. That's what I got it for. Being able to deliver center mass hits for defense.
Last summer I got a M&P15 featureless AR. Holy crap this thing will always out shoot me. 2" groups at 100yds and 4-6" groups at 200yds and these are with a red dot.
Now to me the Mini is just easier to use but after more use the AR will become 2nd nature to me. Oh and I now have another AR. They can breed on their own

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Why not a fully featured AR?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Get a mini

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'd guess so as to be able to shoot it in public without worry of legal drama? I still think the ARES SCR is the best thing going in ban compliant states. I'd would go for the Saiga next. The mini 14 is a good rifle but has priced itself into obsolescence. Oh yeah if you can find one the SU 16CA is a decent option too, depending on how you feel about Kel Tecs.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Just pick one and run with it. Then get another. Repeat...

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Are you giving him permission to shoot it in your back yard?

I mean really. Risking jail time when you go to the range or God forbid in a home defense shooting when you have a family to feed is not the smartest thing to do. But I guess you have no such problems.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Anyway, back on topic. The AR with a Thordsen Stock beats the Mini or Saiga as far as accuracy goes. I had a Spur installed and it wasn't easy to hold on to one handed. I have since installed a Thordsen and couldn't be happier as far as function goes.

Ergonomics with the Thordsen is not that much different than either the Mini or Saiga as long as you install an Ambi safety.

As far as home defense goes, the AR also beats the above two as far as reloading with low capacity magazines go due to the swelled, oversized magazine well. AR magazines go in smoother straight up, drop down free one handed with just the push of a button, and don't need to be placed in at an angle like the other 2 rifles. With a low capacity magazine, that can be tricky.

You can also have different uppers in different calibers for other uses. IE 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendal for hunting. With the Mini 14 or Saiga you will be limited to only 1 caliber.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As far as home defense goes, the AR also beats the above two as far as reloading with low capacity magazines go due to the swelled, oversized magazine well. AR magazines go in smoother straight up, drop down free one handed with just the push of a button, and don't need to be placed in at an angle like the other 2 rifles. With a low capacity magazine, that can be tricky.
I will strongly agree with this

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh I wanted to add that my ARs both have a spur and henry trigger guard hook. Retention is not as good as a pistol grip but not bad either. I would much rather have this setup than a fixed mag. Faster reloads is more important to me.
I have never tried a Thordson stock so that might be a option for you also

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Buy an ar and put a mag lock Thordsen Stock and plain barrel on it. That way if we ever get out of here or the law over turned you can make it a real ar again with a Witt brake and a stock change while not risking a rifle that's dangerous to clear.
My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Buy an ar and put a mag lock on it. That way if we ever get out of here or the law over turned you can make it a real ar again.
He wants it for home defense. A Mag Lock would not be too functional in that scenario if a reload is needed. After 10 rounds are expended, it would not be too smart to wave the ability to reload normally in one second but instead separate the upper from the lower and reload 10 rounds back in one at a time. The criminals will not wait for you to finish.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Oh I wanted to add that my ARs both have a spur and henry trigger guard hook. Retention is not as good as a pistol grip but not bad either. I would much rather have this setup than a fixed mag. Faster reloads is more important to me.
I have never tried a Thordson stock so that might be a option for you also
I used to badmouth the Thordsen until I built a 9mm AR for home defense with the Spur. My lady could not manipulate it at the range one handed for reloads and it was difficult to hold the rifle one handed to open doors at home with the Spur even for me.

After that I begrudingly installed the Thordsen and no such issues occurred. It feels like a regular rifle. I could hold it one handed normally now.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Are you giving him permission to shoot it in your back yard?

I mean really. Risking jail time when you go to the range or God forbid in a home defense shooting when you have a family to feed is not the smartest thing to do. But I guess you have no such problems.
Yeah, bending over and puckering up is probably the best course of action.

"We will not comply"*

*j/k of course we will.

Even a 20 something with a rubber ducky could have predicted that.

Not sure I get the backyard thing though. I'd welcome people to shoot with me...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts