New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing two new Savages. One is a model 93R in .17HMR with a regular walnut stock with a heavy bull barrel and the other is a model 93G in .22WMR with the same stock and regular barrel. Does anyone here own these? How are they as far as accuracy out to 150yds? I have had the Marlin XT22 in .22WMR and that performed the best with Federal ammo. Didn't do so good with CCI. How about these Savages?? Pros??? Cons???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a savage .17hmr with the normal barrel... thing is a tack driver I bet the heavy barrel is amazing

Took picture of the wrong side but nice gun

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Stay away from the new Marlin models! The XT line has some issues and it seems their is many of them. If you want a Marlin then stick tot he 900 series or older Marlin's. The Savage's are nothing but great. Get the heavy barrel 17 because you will love it! I always favor the heavy barrel regardless if is aids in accuracy or not. The only problem Savage has is the magazine slot sometimes is not straight from the factory and is cause the magazine to either not seat or go in a little crooked. Since the mag bracket is just a piece of bent steel, you can fix it yourself easily. I have the 93 in heavy barrel in both the 22mag and the 17hmr. I also have the heavy barrel Mark II with the heavy barrel in 22LR. The Accutrigger is great and I love my Savage's!

James

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Stay away from the new Marlin models! The XT line has some issues and it seems their is many of them. If you want a Marlin then stick tot he 900 series or older Marlin's. The Savage's are nothing but great. Get the heavy barrel 17 because you will love it! I always favor the heavy barrel regardless if is aids in accuracy or not. The only problem Savage has is the magazine slot sometimes is not straight from the factory and is cause the magazine to either not seat or go in a little crooked. Since the mag bracket is just a piece of bent steel, you can fix it yourself easily. I have the 93 in heavy barrel in both the 22mag and the 17hmr. I also have the heavy barrel Mark II with the heavy barrel in 22LR. The Accutrigger is great and I love my Savage's!

James
I agree I kind of wish I would have went with the heavy barrel on my savage.. mine is plenty accurate but for my uses a heavy barrel would have been better

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the difference between the 93 and the Mark II??? The 93's I'm looking at both have the accutrigger. Does anyone know what the difference is? I love Marlin's and I had an XT in 22WMR. It was a great gun and performed flawlessly. What are the issues plaguing the Marlin's??

·
Registered
274 Posts
As far as I know the only difference between the Mark II and the 93 is that the 93 has a slightly longer magazine and bolt to chamber the longer 22Mag and 17HMR. I have a Mark II and I've had a 93 apart, they seem to be the same exact gun other than the above differences. I know the bolt is the same exact design except for length.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know the only difference between the Mark II and the 93 is that the 93 has a slightly longer magazine and bolt to chamber the longer 22Mag and 17HMR. I have a Mark II and I've had a 93 apart, they seem to be the same exact gun other than the above differences. I know the bolt is the same exact design except for length.
Yes! I just noticed that the 93 is only offered in the .22WMR and the .17HMR. ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a savage .17hmr with the normal barrel... thing is a tack driver I bet the heavy barrel is amazing

Took picture of the wrong side but nice gun
if you hunt, how is the 17 on squirrels? i like the 300 yard options and the speed for taking fast tiny game
im on fence only due to price and dont want a under sized over priced 22

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
if you hunt, how is the 17 on squirrels? i like the 300 yard options and the speed for taking fast tiny game
im on fence only due to price and dont want a under sized over priced 22
300yd option?? Here's why I'm buying both calibers. The .22WMR has more killing power than the .17HMR. It has as much killing power at 100yds as the .17HMR has at 50yds. Basically, they both have their pros and cons, but for hunting, I always will go with the heavier bullet out passed 100yds. I'm looking at the .22WMR for hunting and the .17HMR for plinking. Both are MORE than sufficient to kill squirrels. (the .22WMR is alittle cheaper ammo wise as well.)

MPBR for a .17HMR=165yds
MPBR for a .22WMR=125yds

Is 40yds difference enough to warrant the .17HMR over the .22WMR?? That is the question ..... ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 93FV .22 mag with the bull barrel. I haven't tried any other ammo than CCI Maxi Mag HP and it will shoot 1" at 100yds.

I am also not much of a fan of the .17hmr for hunting due to the light bullet.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 93FV .22 mag with the bull barrel. I haven't tried any other ammo than CCI Maxi Mag HP and it will shoot 1" at 100yds.

I am also not much of a fan of the .17hmr for hunting due to the light bullet.
Thanks for the info!! I think I'm going to order the .22WMR with a bull barrel so that both guns are identical. I'm picking up the .17HMR with the bull barrel today. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
have had both cals, and the 93 in .17 was a tree rat slayer out to 100 yards..if you can get the glass on them, they are toast. Chucks raccoons and all, as well, flat shooting, Vmax Hornady head shots stop them quite cold. >22WMR is my all time favorite caliber...I've taken a lot of fox, raccoon and such with my old 25MN. There are some serious loads out there nowadays.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have 3 savages and love them all. I'll let ya shoot them at the range if you like. Only issue with the savages is the mags for the 17/22mag can be a little finickey. You gotta kinda tune them to your gun but once you got them set they seem to work fine. There is a guy online who has made 10 round mags for the 17 and 22 mag that are supposed to me good. I'm gonna get some here soon and try them.

I'm probably gonna head to the range in about 1.5 hours with my 22 mag and here sighted back in. I changed the scope mount. I took the 17 and 22lr the last 2 days and shot some good groups (for me) with it at the 40yard.

http://www.17hmrmag.com/

93R17 BVSS in 17hmr
93BRJ 22mag
Mark II BTVSS 22lr

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 3 savages and love them all. I'll let ya shoot them at the range if you like. Only issue with the savages is the mags for the 17/22mag can be a little finickey. You gotta kinda tune them to your gun but once you got them set they seem to work fine. There is a guy online who has made 10 round mags for the 17 and 22 mag that are supposed to me good. I'm gonna get some here soon and try them.

I'm probably gonna head to the range in about 1.5 hours with my 22 mag and here sighted back in. I changed the scope mount. I took the 17 and 22lr the last 2 days and shot some good groups (for me) with it at the 40yard.
93R17 BVSS in 17hmr
93BRJ 22mag
Mark II BTVSS 22lr
Wildman ... I just picked up my 93GV in .17HMR tonight. :) I'll have to head to the range tomorrow afternoon and give it a whirl!! I mowed there yesterday and was there for about 4 hours today. I would have stuck around longer had I known you were going!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Wildman ... I just picked up my 93GV in .17HMR tonight. :) I'll have to head to the range tomorrow afternoon and give it a whirl!! I mowed there yesterday and was there for about 4 hours today. I would have stuck around longer had I known you were going!
I shot all weekend, sat, sun and monday. It was nice to see the lawn mowed on monday so that way i could find my pistol brass haha.

You will enjoy that 17. I was playing around with the 22 at 194 yards and lobbing them in. Got some ok groups with just a bipod at 104 with the 22 mag and 5 shot group at 38 you could cover with a dime

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The .17 is my favorite "fun" round. Clays at 200 yards is a good time. Not all that expensive either.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The .17 is my favorite "fun" round. Clays at 200 yards is a good time. Not all that expensive either.
I figure it to be a fun round myself. I may surprise myself as well and find it's a more serious round than I thought. Hopefully find out tomorrow. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts