New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am still waiting for my initial Saratoga County pistol permit. It's only been 3-weeks since I completed the safety course.

I am curious as to the next requirement. That is, when I want to obtain the gun that I put down a deposit....what paperwork has to be completed ? How does this work, through the gun dealer ? How long does this take (before I can actually start shooting)?

Second, question ... How do I find a place to target shoot that has availability/openings. Clifton Park is closed ! Sara is closed ! Anything is the Clifton Park NY area ?

thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry to say, but you still have a long wait in front of you. Heres my time line and I'm still waiting:

Jan 3rd - turned in App, printed.
Feb 24th - had meeting with judge (not everyone does this)
Feb 24th The Saratoga County Judge gave the Sheriff Department a letter waiving my requirement to take the safety course on Feb 24th.

about 2 weeks ago, I was at the Saratoga County Sheriff office for an un-related event. So I figured I would check to see where in the process my app was. She told me I was looking at the end of May.

As for you rquestion about you gun, I'm a bit confused at what exactly you are asking. I think you are asking what do you have to do once you receive your permit to retrieve you gun. I'm not 100% ( as I don't have my permit yet) but your permit should come with the gun that you but on your app listed on the permit. You should also get a coupon ( not sure what the exact name is) that you give to you gun dealer. at that point you take you gun home.

As for ranges in the Saragtoga/Clifton Park area I have no idea. I'm a member at the Hudson Falls Fish and Game, but I think our waiting list is at least 5 years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you receive your permit in the mail, there will be a green coupon inside the envelope. This coupon is your permission slip to go pick up the gun you have already purchased. Take it to the gun shop, complete a federal 4473 form, a NICS background check, and then you walk out the door with the gun. When you make future purchases you must turn in the amendment form at the jail and wait until you get the coupon back in the mail before you pick up the gun. This usually takes 1-3 weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts