New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently recieved my CC permit. I have been looking for the best place to retrieve information on how to legally manage carrying. I see so many or confusing/vague laws pertaining to NY CC. Any assitance would be appreciated. I am really looking for the following to start.
- What are the automobile laws - Can I drive with a loaded handgun.
- Does it have to be in plain sight or in a bag on my front seat as my class instructor described?
- Do I have to inform an officer of the law if I get pulled over for reasons such as a speeding or runing a stop light?
- Are there restrictions to carrying in the Adirondack Park? Any other park properties in NY? DEC owned areas?
- Vermont is a reciprocity state from my understanding. Can I leave NY state and travel in VT to a relatives property with my pistol?

Also what is "printing"? I have seen this term on this website.

Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have recently recieved my CC permit. I have been looking for the best place to retrieve information on how to legally manage carrying. I see so many or confusing/vague laws pertaining to NY CC. Any assitance would be appreciated. I am really looking for the following to start.
- What are the automobile laws - Can I drive with a loaded handgun.
YES

- Does it have to be in plain sight or in a bag on my front seat as my class instructor described?
NO. Carry it concealed. NEVER in plain sight.

- Do I have to inform an officer of the law if I get pulled over for reasons such as a speeding or runing a stop light?
NO. But you do have to tell him if he ASKS.

- Are there restrictions to carrying in the Adirondack Park? Any other park properties in NY? DEC owned areas?
No carrying allowed in parks.

- Vermont is a reciprocity state from my understanding. Can I leave NY state and travel in VT to a relatives property with my pistol?
VT honors NY permits
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps <== see maps here

"Printing" means your gun leaves a noticable bulge beneath your clothing.

Get training here!
Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

Thanks

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Do you have a restricted permit?
I am not sure about vermont. There is no recipricosity between NYS and other states (I think texas honors NYS but not sure). Only states in which they do not require a permit can you carry in.

You dont need to tell an officer you are carrying. If he asks you should be honest.
In the adirondacks there are no restrictions for the adirondacks themselves. DEC run campsites may (I know most do) restrict it though. Other parks can depend on local law. For example here in Monroe county you cant carry in any park period.

Printing is basically having your pistol concealed but the outline of the pistol is visible so someone could tell what it is.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
There are a lot of threads on here discussing those topics and in a lot of them the laws are quoted and linked. Keep in mind that asking a lawyer is best and always atleast read the law itself and come to your own conclusion and just dont take our word it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the input. So for the most part I think what was mentioned by everyone I had my finger already on the answer, however, like USMCVeteran stated, I will continue to educate myself here and reach out to legal council to better understand the laws as they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a carry conceal permit. As i have been trying to find information on line I have noticed that there are many references to DEC owned land and that you are not allowed to CC there. I will continue to find more detail on this. When I hike in the high peaks I would like to know that I can CC and feel as though I am not out of my bounds. Of course much of the code that I have read thus far seems vague and I imagine that is for a reason.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What is the best source to gain all of this understanding?
Life, living it is the number 1 teacher, NYFirearms.com #2. There is a lot of information out there and a lot of misinformation. No real way to weed out the good from the bad except people interjection who know better. Not really an issue here, people who post bad info get jumped on., not that it happens very often here.

And welcome.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
No permit is required in Vermont, you may open carry if you wish. The AP is not off limits to CC or even OC while hunting.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Vermont is a reciprocity state from my understanding. Can I leave NY state and travel in VT to a relatives property with my pistol?

Thanks
VT does not require any license to carry, openly or concealed. VT does not "honor" anyone's permit...VT does not require a permit for carry, AT ALL, by anyone.

Do not put any heavy unsecured item on your seat and drive, ever...it is not safe. As for your sidearm..you have a license, carry it.

Printing is what conceal carry people call it when a concealed sidearm is noticable to anyone looking can see that you are carrying. Don't worry about it. NY is not a state that worries about that stuff. If you ever go to TX though...then you need to concern yourself with that kind of nonsense..unless TX follows OK and makes OC legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts