New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum members.

I was hoping someone here who is a NYS based retail dealer could point me in the right direction to possible websites spelling out what is nessesary to become a brick & mortar retail firearms dealer. I'm interested in starting up a Firearms/hunting/fishing/camping store.

I know I would need a FFL, as well as the application on the NY State Troopers website for a NY dealers licence, and I'm sure it would be beneficial to have my pistol permit as well.

With my 10+ years of retail experience I have come to expect many hurtles to owning a buisness in general in NYS, so I'm expecting to be a firearms dealer to be no different, if not harder.

Besides the FFL, NYS Licence, pistol permit, & a heap of start up cash what else should I do to start this process if I find it within my means?

I welcome all advice or just a helpful finger pointing in the right direction.

Thank you

·
Registered
705 Posts
i am starting a retail business here in Albion Orelans County.I have applied for a type 07 FFL. You would need zoning and need to see your planning borad for the permit. I do have a place which has a store front. You would also need a business plan . These are the things I went through.Have to go to the County Board for a meeting with them. Different States have other rules.Need to look them up.You do need the FFL first before you get the NY state. You also need a name for your store and a DBA.My retail store is going be called Lucky Shot Retail. If you need any more help PM me. Hope this works out for you.Good Luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a NYS FIrearms dealer cannot open a store with a LLC as owner of the store and the dealer as the President of the LLC?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi Big Red. You do need a name for your business. You can also go to your county court house to get your DBA . You will need all this for the bank and for your bank account. You can also use the internet to check out business names see if someone else has got the same name. These are the things I went through for my name of the store. You can open a store and be your own boss. But you do need a BDA. Hope this helps you out.As I said before gave me a pm anytime .Good Luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
BigRed1 Be sure to get a type 01 FFL to deal (buy sell) in arms. Barrel's 07 is a manufacturer's license.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts