New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a new owner so go easy on me. First purchase was a classic Ruger Security Six 4" in .357. I am researching my second purchase (for home defense) and after considering all the reviews I have a dilemma. First let me say I don't want a micro 9, or a small gun for CC. It's going to be for target and defense. I am a big dude and have large hands, so A full size is good for me. That said after tons of research I narrowed down to the Walther PDP, The Canik SFX9 and The Sig P226. All factors considered I believe the Canik is the best choice. Now the dilemma......I have always heard that 1911 style guns are not for newbies, and that they are less safe to handle. I am very interested in the Springfield Ronin in 9mm or 10mm. (My guess is that in lean ammo times 9mm is easier to get, so I'll probably go 9). After watching many videos is seems most polymers only have a split trigger and no safety (Glock) or 1 manual safety. The Ronin has a grip safety, thumb safety and if you don't rack the slide an extra safety on both if you count it that way. So why isn't the 1911 platform more safe? Any and all input appreciated.
I am a new owner so go easy on me. First purchase was a classic Ruger Security Six 4" in .357. I am researching my second purchase (for home defense) and after considering all the reviews I have a dilemma. First let me say I don't want a micro 9, or a small gun for CC. It's going to be for target and defense. I am a big dude and have large hands, so A full size is good for me. That said after tons of research I narrowed down to the Walther PDP, The Canik SFX9 and The Sig P226. All factors considered I believe the Canik is the best choice. Now the dilemma......I have always heard that 1911 style guns are not for newbies, and that they are less safe to handle. I am very interested in the Springfield Ronin in 9mm or 10mm. (My guess is that in lean ammo times 9mm is easier to get, so I'll probably go 9). After watching many videos is seems most polymers only have a split trigger and no safety (Glock) or 1 manual safety. The Ronin has a grip safety, thumb safety and if you don't rack the slide an extra safety on both if you count it that way. So why isn't the 1911 platform more safe? Any and all input appreciated.

I would suggest that you look for a Springfield Armory TRP Operator or if you can find a Range Officer Elite-both Model 1911s with adjustable rear sites and able to accomodate optical scopes or red dots if necessary. Accuracy is superb and for where you it should be sufficient until you need a something even more designed only for competition. Colts accuracy is not as good, especially after the Czech's bought the firm. the barrel on the SA is thicker and solid. Take your guns apart and keep them clean, so that you don't have problems-- My two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
II would suggest that you look for a Springfield Armory TRP Operator or if you can find a Range Officer Elite-both Model 1911s with adjustable rear sites and able to accomodate optical scopes or red dots if necessary. Accuracy is superb and for where you it should be sufficient until you need a something even more designed only for competition. Colts accuracy is not as good, especially after the Czech's bought the firm. the barrel on the SA is thicker and solid. Take your guns apart and keep them clean, so that you don't have problems-- My two cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts