New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you live near a range that has various rental options? Determining what works for you based on internet research is not really the best way. You need to fire DA/SA, SA, Striker guns. Also, if you are new to handguns - are there some ranges that have intro handgun courses - I don't mean to be offensive but focusing on equipment without a touch of training isn't optimal.

If one really wants a fighting semi - you can't beat a Glock 19, despite all the fretting and fussing about polymer and safeties. Training and practice is the cure for internet induced platform dread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's a discussion on 1911s -

Having shot Glocks and 1911s for years - I again reiterate that starting with equipment choices from abstract reading is fine but not sufficient. A new person needs a basic set of classes on gun handling and trying out different guns. With any gun - a regimen of dry firing is important. It is especially important with 1911s as your draw stroke needs to include an automatic release of the safety. It's been shown that under stress, even trained folks forget that. I've seen high end competitors with years under their belt, do that. It is especially likely, if you shoot from an unusual position. The motor memory for the draw, safety release usually takes place in a nice standing straight, there is the target mode. Getting away from that and folks draw and nothing happens as they forgot the safety.

So again, don't buy because it sounds cool or tactical - learn first. If you must have a gun for self-defense now - the standard recommendation for a new person is the revolver like you already have. Take some time to master a semi and forget for the moment cool sounding guns. Hope this helps and works out for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts