New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Virginia you will be charged with 'reckless' driving for going over 80MPH anywhere or doing 20MPH over ANY speed limit. Jalopnik journalist learned it the hard way by doing 93 in 55 zone on a very rural road. It's a Class 1 Misdemeanor which sticks with you forever. He would have gotten the same punishment if he did 76 on the same stretch. He faced:

1 year in jail
up to 6 months suspension of license
6 points which expire in 3 years
2,500$ fine
By hiring a lawyer he was able to get a 'deal'.

Cop let him go with a summons...
'Clearly, the cop was either grossly negligent - how else would you describe someone whose job is (allegedly) to "protect" the public who knowingly allowed a reckless driver to continue driving? Or he's nothing more than an Americanized KGB man, cynically - routinely - screwing with people over "crimes" he knows are trumped-up bull****.'

http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/08/06/sexual-battery-speeding/

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Okay a long long time ago when I was in the service I was pulled over in Virginia for doing 85 in a 65. I was on my way to do some training in Mississippi. I usually do not speed but I was behind a tractor trailer in the right lane and he was driving erratically. I passed him on the left lane and needless to say I was going fast to get around the *******.

Well the cop didn't give a ****. I was stuck with a reckless driving that I had to hire a lawyer to appear for me because you can't just plea guilty to it. They force you to appear in court. I was not able to drive back from Mississippi to Virginia to deal with this due to training requirements. Needless to say it cost me around $3000 when all was said and done. That $3000 hurt bad back then too. It was like 2 months of pay as an E-3

It was the only time I have ever been in trouble with the "Law" with the exception of a speeding ticket in N.Y when I was 18 for doing 6 over in a 45mph zone lol.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay a long long time ago when I was in the service I was pulled over in Virginia for doing 85 in a 65. I was on my way to do some training in Mississippi. I usually do not speed but I was behind a tractor trailer in the right lane and he was driving erratically. I passed him on the left lane and needless to say I was going fast to get around the *******.

Well the cop didn't give a ****. I was stuck with a reckless driving that I had to hire a lawyer to appear for me because you can't just plea guilty to it. They force you to appear in court. I was not able to drive back from Mississippi to Virginia to deal with this due to training requirements. Needless to say it cost me around $3000 when all was said and done. That $3000 hurt bad back then too. It was like 2 months of pay as an E-3

It was the only time I have ever been in trouble with the "Law" with the exception of a speeding ticket in N.Y when I was 18 for doing 6 over in a 45mph zone lol.
Sorry to hear about that, 3,000$ is a lot of money now, let alone back then. 6MPH over 45? Talk about BULL****, aren't you a bad bad criminal? Plus speed kills so how are you still alive?
It seem to be bureaucrats' primary objective now, to make up absolutely insane draconian laws then fleece the citizenry for breaking them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Virginia has many towns that purposely drop the speed limit to like 50 down from 70 and bust people left and right. My buddy got busted that way- he had to pay a lot to a lawyer to plead it down. The lawyer was like- this town is bad- most of all his money is dealing with the traffic tickets. But the good thing was the lawyer got him out of the misdemeanor charge. Towns are using it for profit. I know other people who were not aware of the misdemeanor charge and totally got hosed out of ignorance. I do not speed when I drive in VA.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right - NY is bad. VA is not perfect, but don't speed any you won't have a problem.
This is quite a big deal because reckless speeding in VA is a class 1 misdemeanor, similar to class A misdemeanor in NY (It's what Andy charges us for not destroying our pre ban mags too). Just 1 step below felony, it's reserved for sexual abuse, criminal conspiracy, theft, larceny, sexual misconduct etc

But if you're doing 76 in 55 you get lumped up with actual criminals, piled up with legal fees and have your life ruined? Absolutely insane, this law is draconian and I don't know how 'we the people' in VA have been putting up with it.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
A whopping 41 million people receive speeding tickets annually, according to a site called Statistic Brain, which lists the Highway Patrol as their source. What's more, $6 billion is paid out in speeding tickets each year. That's a lot of scratch, America.

But these numbers are not divided equally between states. Some states are more ticket-happy than others, and the average cost of a speeding ticket can range from $50 to $2,500. It seems that where you drive really can influence your chances of getting a ticket.
Top 10 ticket-happy states

Here are the top 10 states where you're most likely to see flashing lights in your rearview mirror:

Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
California
Texas
Georgia
Virginia (sorry, lovers)
North Carolina
Massachusetts
Connecticut

Average cost of speeding tickets by state

The total cost of the average speeding ticket is $150, but maximum fines for speeding vary by more than $2,400 between states. Interestingly, some of the states where you're most likely to receive a ticket also have the highest fines.
Most expensive states for speeding tickets

Virginia and Illinois have the most expensive speeding fines, with the maximum set at $2,500. Following that are Georgia and Nevada, with maximum fines at $2,000. Ouch.
Least expensive states for speeding tickets

Tennessee, in contrast, is the cheapest state in which to get a ticket, with a maximum fine of $50. Idaho, Kentucky, and Colorado are the next cheapest with their $100 maximum fines.
Speeding ticket stories

And now … for your internet-surfing pleasure, here are a few noteworthy tidbits of speeding ticket trivia:

Who's afraid of Virginia patrols?

In March 2010, Virginia proved itself worthy of being the number 7 spot on the ticket-happy list by issuing 7,016 traffic tickets in a single weekend. Of those, 3,536 were for speeding.

Getting less ticket-happy in Massachusetts

As the ninth most likely state to hand out tickets, Massachusetts reported a 35 percent decrease in tickets in recent years. According to Boston.com, 60,000 fewer speeding tickets were issued in 2011 than in 2008.

Speed checked by radar? You betcha.

During August and September of 2012, Wisconsin State Patrol planes circling the Madison sky resulted in 2,197 traffic stops and 1,662 total citations - 1,324 of these tickets were issued for speeding.

The most tickets in one day?

In 2009, Elvis Alonzo Barrett scored himself 50 traffic tickets in a single day. Among the traffic crimes he committed were not wearing a seat belt, hitting parked cars, and yes, speeding.

Fastest speeding ticket in the world

The fastest speeding ticket ever was issued to the driver of a Koenigsegg CCX (a fancy Swedish sports car) for driving 242 mph in a 75 mph zone. Of course, it happened in Texas. Of course.

How to avoid tickets

Whether you live in a highly ticketed state or not, there's one simple thing you can do to avoid the major bummer that comes with getting a speeding ticket: don't speed. It's pretty much as simple as that.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
The VSP pulled us over in a convoy of marked cars returning from our relief efforts in NO after Hurricane Katrina. It was quite comical and made national news.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts