New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
You potentially open yourself up to legal situations by using wasp spray in that manner. Aside from the label on most of it is a violation of fed law to use this product in a manner inconsistent....

But I'm not a lawyer and YMMV...
the federal law they are referring to is environmental law, not sure how the EPA is going to fine you for something that did not harm the environment.

You may find yourself in a legal situation if you stab your attacker with a pencil too, much better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Ive seen to many episodes of cops where the pepper sprayed baddie still gets his hands on the cop, or gets away. No thanks, ill keep my pistol.
If I need to pull my gun, you wont run away.
Yeah, take a look at some YouTube videos. In this one, it's bear spray, the kid runs away, but he's not totally incapacitated like in the video above.

Here, the guy obviously can't see very well, but he's not moving away or rubbing his eyes.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yeah, take a look at some YouTube videos. In this one, it's bear spray, the kid runs away, but he's not totally incapacitated like in the video above.
The kid in the first video didn't get a direct hit to the face. Most of it missed his face or was deflected by his hands all though it was enough for him to want to get the heck out of there. But mommy did have to call the paramedics.

In the second video that guy looks so methed up that no one was going to stop him but a shot to the face did stop him in his track to the point that one officer pulled him down by his hair. He was in pain and he was not seeing what was going on and not moving on the floor which would be enough time for a person to high tail it out of there.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Actually a can of Wasp spray is a better Non lethal defense tool. It sprays a stream farther and it doesn't create a cloud to come back at you.

most work places will not allow pepper spray because it is considered a weapon, there are usually no restrictions placed on wasp killer.
An immediate problem though is that it won't fit in my pocket. I also wonder about the legality of spraying someone in the face, even for self defense. This is NY after all.
I would not volunteer to be sprayed in the face with wasp spray.
THIS. I would rather pepper spray simply because I know it is intended for human spray use. No idea about wasp spray.

Okay, i couldn't help myself. I picked up a can of red saber for $10.50 and it says to try it from time to time to ensure the can is still good. Gonna see if I can get my wife to carry some in her purse.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The kid in the first video didn't get a direct hit to the face. Most of it missed his face or was deflected by his hands all though it was enough for him to want to get the heck out of there. But mommy did have to call the paramedics.

In the second video that guy looks so methed up that no one was going to stop him but a shot to the face did stop him in his track to the point that one officer pulled him down by his hair. He was in pain and he was not seeing what was going on and not moving on the floor which would be enough time for a person to high tail it out of there.
The end of the 2nd video his eyes also looked swollen and he was throwing up, so it was def working

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Actually a can of Wasp spray is a better Non lethal defense tool. It sprays a stream farther and it doesn't create a cloud to come back at you.

most work places will not allow pepper spray because it is considered a weapon, there are usually no restrictions placed on wasp killer.
pepper spray comes in many forms: spray, stream and foaming agent. Spray and stream definitely can blow back on you.

wasp spray if kept and used for self defense is a felony both state and federal law.

also something to consider unlike wasp spray or other weapons- in general, the use of pepper spray is defined as a assault in the 3rd degree. A misdemeanor. It gives the cop options. Even if mis-used or " the person jumped the gun in its use" , the cop doesn't have arrest the person. The use of wasp spray is a felony and can lead to attempted murder if deadly force is not justified. And if there is blow back or a third party like a child is exposed, they aren't likely to die or have any permanent damage.

I have used pepper spray many times. I have been exposed to it many times either by blowback or another cops spray or having to wrestle with the perp after he was sprayed. You do built a tolerance for it. They even expose academy recruits in many departments to it so when it happens to them they can still act. The downside is that the perps and emotionally disturbed people build a tolerance to it as well. I like the foaming agent because it's less blow back and it blinds them even if the chemical doesn't sting as much as we would like.

pepper spray is often more useful than a firearm because the perp knows you will use it as opposed to a gun where they know the boundaries in which we are constrained ( both LEOs and CCW holders). But a gun beats pepper spray against a immediate violent attack in so many ways.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
And the use of a 9mm to the forehead is GENERALLY defined as MURDER in the first, until you explain that his fist was only half as hard as his **** about to enter your daughter.

Seriously (mis) interpreting NY's weapon/SD laws again?
what are you talking about. . I'm saying there is a place for a firearm and a place for pepper spray. And this is the guy who is saying use wasp spray.?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Wasp spray for intentsl self defense is technically illegal. Read the back of the can as to federal law. Read NYS penal law 120.05. It's s poison that can kill or cause permanent injury.
pepper spray is considered not to do so. Despite what a certain poster thinks, it is considered a use of a weapon unlike a self defense spray as defined by NYS law. It is considered assault 3 misdemeanor in most cases where legally possessed. It's only assault three. I have argued this point in the past with colleagues who believed they could charge assault two felony and have been prove right . The spray does not cause "injury" but substantial pain and is listed in the penal law 120.20. That and case law makes it assault three unless it is to a special victim or circumstance the same as physical force. It is not considered a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
There are several different types of chemicals kept in my work place, I am restricted from keeping any type of weapon at my work place. I will use any of those chemicals to defend myself from an attacker. I have identified quite a few that could be used to incapacitate an attacker,

if an active shooter comes into my work place I seriously doubt anyone is going to care I used Wasp Spray or WD40 or a stapler to defend myself with.

Just look around your work place there are more than enough items that can be used as a weapon should the need arise. If you work in a place that will fire you for carrying anything that can be traditionally used to defend yourself with you have to be aware you may not be armed with your preferred defensive tools but you are not completely unarmed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Like said above, most other non-defensive sprays are in larger cans. I have several cans of different lubricants in the basement (wd-40 & the like) but they're in the basement. When I bought pepper spray two weeks ago it came in a handy pouch that a) hid what it was (could be just a bottle of hand sanitizer/lotion, can't see it, concealed) & b) was small enough to fit in any pocket on my person or in my hand almost concealed. A coworker who goes to college & a local college with a recent crime history wanted something so I said I'd try to get her something. Taser's are illegal in NY (except the livestock kind) so this was the next best thing (all guns/knives/etc. banned on campus BS).

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have read that is true against bears. Even more effective than larger calibers, but not all.
The premise of bear spray is using the Bears self preservation instinct to break contact. The bear has a natural instinct to avoid being injured unless threatened or attacked. Since it cannot tell what is causing its discomfort it will normally break contact. Of cours all bets are off if the bear is already in attack mode.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Like said above, most other non-defensive sprays are in larger cans. I have several cans of different lubricants in the basement (wd-40 & the like) but they're in the basement. When I bought pepper spray two weeks ago it came in a handy pouch that a) hid what it was (could be just a bottle of hand sanitizer/lotion, can't see it, concealed) & b) was small enough to fit in any pocket on my person or in my hand almost concealed. A coworker who goes to college & a local college with a recent crime history wanted something so I said I'd try to get her something. Taser's are illegal in NY (except the livestock kind) so this was the next best thing (all guns/knives/etc. banned on campus BS).
My daughter is in almost the same predicament but pepper spray is banned on campus too,( for some reason beyond comprehension), she carries a pocket knife which is allowed because it is below a certain length. In Oregon you can legally carry a gun on campus but the school can prevent you from carrying a gun in any of their buildings. The people who make the rules are certifiable for sure.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I went to Alfred State and people wouldn't believe what students bring. Mind you, none of what was brought was used in a crime, but all manner sorts of banned "weapon's" were in dorm rooms. I guess if it's a "don't ask don't tell" on the booze it was pretty similar on the weapon front (at the time).

We saw no "NO PEPPER SPRAY ALLOWED" in a quick look so we figured it's ok. I saw (in an online search) one SUNY campus in NY bans the stuff, but that's it. I'd imagine almost all do, they just don't say so.

Either way, she agreed: rather stop them then let something happen.

I don't know why, but when my wife and I went to college we got the "rape talk" during orientation (with the parents though). Every kid I've talked to going to college now never got the "rape talk." The "don't walk alone at night, doesn't matter what you look like, etc." talk. Scary they aren't telling kids & parents about this stuff BEFORE the kids show up.

BTW, if it was MY daughter I'd give her the pepper spray and don't tell anyone. Why? It's in a purse and/or in it's little pouch. Nobody's going to see it. The police would need reasonable cause to search your stuff (or a warrant) & the college can't go through your personal things w/o permission. So, if you do something stupid enough to be searched legally, you're in trouble already. :)

Just declare the stuff when you cross the US/CA border! That can cause trouble if you don't (according to the CA border patrol).

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
BTW, if it was MY daughter I'd give her the pepper spray and don't tell anyone. Why? It's in a purse and/or in it's little pouch. Nobody's going to see it. The police would need reasonable cause to search your stuff (or a warrant) & the college can't go through your personal things w/o permission. So, if you do something stupid enough to be searched legally, you're in trouble already. :)
Was going to say the same thing. If she ever needs it she'll be glad to have had it and the repercussion from having something state-legal but disallowed by a school is trivial IMO. Could also be something the school needs to tread very carefully with: "Woman being assaulted on campus uses pepper spray to prevent rape. School suspends."

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

I've sprayed myself in the face with wasp spray on 2 different occasions it does not hurt at all, it smells and is oily that's about it, if someone sprayed me in the face with it all it would do is make me angry.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.