New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I guess everyone can get a good laugh about fears the EZPass system would be used to track you.

What were we thinking. They don't need EZPass to track your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
"If you look at the public safety side......."

And there you have it, the all-encompassing rational for any present and future limitation or revocation of any civil liberties. (second only to "it's for the children")

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well they have a wasted space for my information. Going to Walmart, Work, Grocery Store and Home. That is very vital information. It was well worth it.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
It's funny they never mention how much these systems cost the taxpayer to keep all of this running but the budget keeps getting larger every year . I'm wonder just where did I sign up for this type of surveillance ? I'm believing that this is a blatant misuse of public funds because after seeing how many lawsuits were filed in other states that have this . It is just another invasion of privacy that the county / state legislators " thought it was a good idea " to fight crime . These people need to be unemployed right now !

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It's funny they never mention how much these systems cost the taxpayer to keep all of this running but the budget keeps getting larger every year . I'm wonder just where did I sign up for this type of surveillance ? I'm believing that this is a blatant misuse of public funds because after seeing how many lawsuits were filed in other states that have this . It is just another invasion of privacy that the county / state legislators " thought it was a good idea " to fight crime . These people need to be unemployed right now !
What I heard, and this is second hand, is that the plate scanners were all bought with federal/DHS money. Your mileage may vary.

They're everywhere around where I live.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
A license plate is an equivalent of a cattle ear tag. We're all cattle to our master ranchers and they need to keep track of everyone of us to make sure we don't run away. License plates need to abolished completely.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It is funny to read that safety was brought up, these systems are not for safety. They do store the information and fusion centers can access said information. This is wholly unconstitutional, they are in way doing a search without you knowing it. You are next to a cruiser with the License Plate Reader and they know who you are, the computer now has a record of you being somewhere, for what reason. Go to any police department website and you will see a disclaimer, that data collected with the LPR's is stored. This has been going on ever since they received them and it is mainly grants from DHS. I was driving through Watervliet recently and they installed cameras down the entire length of 19th street. Where do these cameras go to, why are they needed? Our society has handed over most of it's rights in the name of security, the question is security for whom? It certainly is not for our security. Gee, I wonder how the old police made out without systems like this. As for agencies using the information for potential witnesses, I have a bridge to sell you, it just had white flags put on it. There is a local lawyer who suing the state to get information on license plate data.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/...-lawyer-says-hell-sue-for-license-plate-data/

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
LPR technology has been around for a few years. 90% of it's use stems from tickets. Suspended and expired registrations. I know most of the funding around here came from grants but of course it's tax payer money either way.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Driving towards Rockland the other day past the TZB i saw a F350 with a LP that read KIZZM1AZ. I loved it.....!

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
This is not a good thing, Period!

This is not one of those, "if you have nothing to hide" moments. I have Nothing to hide, never have. My life is an open book; only if I decide to share it.

Out of the Millionssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ofplates that they have read, I would love to know how many have been used to catch a bad guy? Is a program like this really worth it? Not just no, but hell NO!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well they have a wasted space for my information. Going to Walmart, Work, Grocery Store and Home. That is very vital information. It was well worth it.
I know right?
But this is what pisses me off.
Lets say a friend or neighbor relative does something heinous. Absolutey nothing to do with you other than you went to his kids birthday party a year ago and your License Plate was picked up.
Now they do the database query on his address and your plate is one of the several dozen that have been there.
Now your name and activity is checked. I happened to be visiting your house one time and now MY name is now associated with whatever happened.
And so it goes.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I wonder if Andy is getting a kick back from that too?

·
Registered
529 Posts
From the article:

"There are privacy concerns and there are legitimate public safety concerns. In every occasion it's important to look at those and find a balance," said Michael Green, executive deputy director of the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, which has paid for equipment to store the records and encourages its use. "If you look at the public safety side, they are another tool that have allowed them to solve significant cases - murders, rapes."

How often use of these records help solve crimes after the fact is not clear. Several police officials told the Democrat and Chronicle they don't keep track.
Show what BS they are spewing. They claim that it has solved major crimes, but then admit they don't know what the F it does because they don't keep track.

Big Brother = Big Business. Departments get more funding, companies that make the equipment get rich and us regular folk get branded, tracked and ticketed. We pay for the camera's with our tax dollars and they pay again when they find our registration is a few days overdue.

If is to be used for the "benevolent" purposes described in the article, why do they need to store the info indefinitely? Even five years seems way too long.

Finally, the "interconnected" systems they talk of should not be mentioned in the same article as "secure" systems. If it is accessible online (especially by ANY law enforcement agency in the state) then it is susceptible to unauthorized access - from within and without.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts