New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 F150 that has the typical exhaust manifold stud rust/breaking issue. I purchased the headers (why replace with OEM style manifolds) and am getting Fel-Pro gaskets and hunting for s/s studs and nuts.

does anyone know of a shop that they trust implicitly that I can say "(Insert name) sent me" and they will know who the heck I’m talking about and know to do the job right? I was going to tackle this job myself but with my schedule and my need for my truck, I can't afford to have something go wrong and me not have the tools, or more importantly, the time to fix it.

Burkhart automotive is out for sure. I plan on calling Midas, Meineke and Yorkville Auto Wash and Lube (they replace transmissions and engines, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If it were my truck and i planned on keeping it i would give a Ford dealer a call and get a quote. I know of a few local garages that have really screwed up on trying to fix these and ended up having to pull and replace the heads....
Also while they are in there have you had your spark plugs replaced??

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the dealer do my plugs at 95k along with coil boots and springs (OUCH, but probably worth it)....I am calling the dealer tomorrow. I just hate to hear what they said last time, "well, if we break one off and have to lift the motor....it's BIG money"

I will keep this truck until she dies. I drove it for about 3 winters and she now sleeps from Thanksgiving until Easter each year..

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am calling the dealer tomorrow. I just hate to hear what they said last time, "well, if we break one off and have to lift the motor....it's BIG money"
The way i look at it is a Ford tech who has likely done dozens of these is less likely to snap a stud off then someone who has done one or two of these jobs....

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
PM sent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts