New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all I'm considering opening an outdoor range in Sodus, NY. I have 168 acers of land which would give a range of about 650-700 yards. The only problem i have is where to start?? I'm not sure on what i have to do first to start the process other tha getting permits... If anyone can through some advice this way i would apprieciate it!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Well. I have nothing to offer than good luck to you, as well as I wish it was closer! :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Check the NRA website ,I believe they have some info on this... Good luck with your endeavor

·
Registered
708 Posts
Zoning will probably be an issue, neighbors may object to noise.

I imagine insurance would be very costly.

Beyond that, yeah check with the NRA. You would want them involved in planning, hopefully would grease the wheels some.

ETA - 3 stripes & crossed rifles now. woo-hoo

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be interested theres no where around rochester than can get out past 200-250

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Warrior - are you a dealer?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was just up there a few weeks ago with some friends doing some ice fishing at Sodus Bay. Lots of apple trees, that seems to be the popular industry. Beautiful country, Good Luck!

·
Registered
825 Posts
No expert but probably DEC approval (i.e. lead) suitable back stop and if its for profit all the usual permits, licenses zoning stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I contact the NRA to see what has to be be done. From what it looks like a local agent will come out and help with everything i need to know.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you do open an indoor range there you better open a BBQ joint, a laundry, and cots because you are going to have some people camped there all day long. Actually a partially enclosed range would not be to hard to build either. This is what we need and Sodus actually is a great place for it. I am retired so would be glad to help you ......if you accept free labor!!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
First stop should be the town hall and speak with the code-enforcement / zoning guy. If it's prohibited or limited by code, then you need to get a special use permit or a zoning variance. If that's a no-go, then you're either SOL or need to fight them in court.

No point calling the NRA or DEC if you can't get past the town first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you've gotten some great advice so far. All I have left to add is I have a camp in Sodus and spend a lot of time there in the summer so count me in as a member.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts