New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given the traditional NYS hunting, target and hiking permit. I was told in oneida county to only carry when i was doing these. A friend of mine in Herkimer County was told to carry it wherever and whenever.

Its well known that there is a huge grey area if you get caught with it on you. But just out of curiosity, what were you told when you got your permit?

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't matter what other counties said, your counties instructions to you are all that matter.
I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the law is the same across the whole state, not county to county. My friend who was told to carry at all times works in the same county as I live in. Why should he be told to carry at all times and our county residents not be able to.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Likewise the restrictions are not law and even then technically don't even apply outside of your county.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the law is the same across the whole state, not county to county. My friend who was told to carry at all times works in the same county as I live in. Why should he be told to carry at all times and our county residents not be able to.
I believe. It is a NY permit (and the issuing agent is YOUR county) they have the ablity to restrict you carry and that will be binding as you carry throughout the state. His county issued an unrestricted one to him. so he can carry on the street in your county. Not fair but I believe you are SOL because of where you live.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Welcome to NY.. The law says it's up to each judge. They are placed by the issuing judge on your permit. His judge didn't restrict his permit, yours did.

You have to follow what your judge said or risk having your permit revoked.

I wouldn't believe "don't apply outside of your county" unless you hear it from YOUR judge or county clerk and I have never heard of that ever being said.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do yourself a favor....If that is true that his restrictions are the same---Don't follow his example

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I wouldn't believe "don't apply outside of your county" unless you hear it from YOUR judge or county clerk and I have never heard of that ever being said.
I only heard of it from this site, but it makes sense to me. As the restrictions are only administrative how would your judge have any jurisdiction outside of your county?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Basicly what it comes down too is this... NYS PL 265.00 does not recignize the restrictions imposed by the county. However, those restrictions are printed right on the permit. If you have a LE encounter and the LEO calls the issuing Judge and explains how you were in fact carrying outside of his imposed restrictions, then that issuing Judge can revoke your permit. It does not matter where you are, the Judge that issued your permit is the deciding factor as to how and when you can carry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oswego County
Oswego County has restricted my pistol permit more. I decided to ask for a "unrestricted concealed carry permit". My concealed carry permit was restricted carry concealed to and from the range to and from hunting and employment requiring a hand gun as a requirement for employment. I wanted to update it to unrestricted but would except what they are calling a "sportsman". My permit now states "dwelling, employment and sportsman". I wanted to use my hand gun on my ATV and hiking and other activity's. I had to sign a statement saying that I could NOT carry concealed "TO AND FROM". I could carry "while actively engaged" in such activity's. In order for me to go to and from and transport the weapon it must be in a compartment, unloaded, locked and not with the ammo. It also can not assessable to the driver or passenger. The compartment must also be other than the glove box or console. I am fine with Oswego County restricting my permit as stated. I think that it is wildly inappropriate to restrict carrying in my vehicle going to and from activity's. There is no better prize than a hand gun to those that engage in crime. Restricting me more while in and out of my vehicle leaves my weapon open for theft and use agents me at any time before I engage in activity's. If you also think this is wildly inappropriate please wright.
Hon. James M. Metcalf
State of New York
Oswego City Court
Fifth Judicial District
Conway Municipal Building
20 West Oneida Street 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor
Oswego, New York 13126
(315) 343 0415
Fax (315) 343 0531

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
My permit was restricted to hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and target for 13 years. During that time, I never carried outside those restrictions, although I tend to agree with some interpretation that the restrictions are only valid within the county they are issued in. Even thought I agree with this, I also understand that the issuing judge can revoke your permit at any time for any reason, so I opted not to give him a reason....

Had restrictions lifted about a year ago and life is much simpler now. Get some training, apply for unrestricted and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Bill/shurtboy: understand you're upset, but what is this, like thread 3 you are just cutting and pasting your bad luck?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
If the judge doesn't have jurisdiction outside your county why would be allowed to even possess the pistol outside of your county?
Sorry Ray, have to disagree here. It's a NYS permit; mine says right on the back its valid throughout NYS except for NYC. The county judge who issued it can only decide cases within the county. I do agree however, that he can pull the permit for any reason, so better not tick him off...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If the judge doesn't have jurisdiction outside your county why would be allowed to even possess the pistol outside of your county?
Because he issues a NYS pistol permit (as he was granted power to do so) and THEN slaps on "restrictions", (which he was never given the legal power to do so) and therefor only can put those "restrictions" in place for his county.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to NY.. The law says it's up to each judge. They are placed by the issuing judge on your permit. His judge didn't restrict his permit, yours did.

You have to follow what your judge said or risk having your permit revoked.

This is excellent common sense advice. If a county judge issues a restricted permit, then those restrictions apply throughout the state. Don't rely on other peoples' opinion as to how and where you can carry your licensed handgun. If you are caught carrying your pistol outside of your imposed restrictions by an LEO and he or she reports this to your licensing officer (county judge): you will most likely see the judge revoke your permit and you will need to surrender your handgun (s) or move out of state if you wish to retain your pistols.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Oswego County
Oswego County has restricted my pistol permit more. I decided to ask for a "unrestricted concealed carry permit". My concealed carry permit was restricted carry concealed to and from the range to and from hunting and employment requiring a hand gun as a requirement for employment. I wanted to update it to unrestricted but would except what they are calling a "sportsman". My permit now states "dwelling, employment and sportsman". I wanted to use my hand gun on my ATV and hiking and other activity's. I had to sign a statement saying that I could NOT carry concealed "TO AND FROM". I could carry "while actively engaged" in such activity's. In order for me to go to and from and transport the weapon it must be in a compartment, unloaded, locked and not with the ammo. It also can not assessable to the driver or passenger. The compartment must also be other than the glove box or console. I am fine with Oswego County restricting my permit as stated. I think that it is wildly inappropriate to restrict carrying in my vehicle going to and from activity's. There is no better prize than a hand gun to those that engage in crime. Restricting me more while in and out of my vehicle leaves my weapon open for theft and use agents me at any time before I engage in activity's. If you also think this is wildly inappropriate please wright.
Hon. James M. Metcalf
State of New York
Oswego City Court
Fifth Judicial District
Conway Municipal Building
20 West Oneida Street 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor
Oswego, New York 13126
(315) 343 0415
Fax (315) 343 0531
This is pretty much the standard legal jargon for NYC pistol premise permit holders. From what I understand, the NYC premise pistol License holder may only take the handgun out of the home for target practice at an authorized range in a locked container. CCW on the person is NOT permitted.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.