New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hipsters Illegally Killed Upstate Deer While Making Hipster Apocalypse Movie: Gothamist

As a filmmaker and firearms advocate myself (set lighting technician, all around badass), this is endlessly infuriating. Why charges have not been brought to any of these idiots is beyond me.

Gothamist (not surprisingly) failed to research gun laws before posting this article, stating "It was unclear who owned the rifle or whether it was registered." It would be nice to know who owns this weapon and why it was handed over to inexperienced, unqualified idiots. It would also be nice to give a good smacking around to this crew.

I have worked on some films where some really dodgy stuff went down, including a props PA (production assistant, usually idiots working for free) pulling a prop revolver on me and nearly getting his teeth kicked in as a result of it, but to bring live ammunition onto a film set is freaking unheard of in my circles.

Perhaps I'll take the subway in to the TriBeca Film fest and give them what for.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
...... "There were so many deer weak from the winter and getting eaten by local dogs we didn't even think about it."....
hahaha exactly which winter was that..

·
Registered
90 Posts
UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!!!!

So why do we buy licenses and take firearm safety classes?

Why do we do what we do? Because we respect the law and the environment.

I urge everyone to condone these actions and demand legal action. Remember all we need to do is be quite and they will be able to get away with this. :hissyfit:

G

·
It is a sad fact that folks, who were born and raised in the city, when placed in a rural environment, just don’t get it.

It’s not their fault. Their experiences, education and associations don’t prepare them for things “off the asphalt”.

Decades ago my family would host a “fresh air kid” each summer. These kids generally came from the five boroughs of New York and had never been more than a few blocks from their homes before. They had never seen expanses of open space, livestock or real darkness. They had never experienced quiet and some of them had trouble sleeping without the high level of ambient noise found in the city.

Things that we other kids took for granted such as swimming in the pond, camping out, having a bon fire or eating things not purchased in a grocery store came as major culture shocks to these kids.

By and large these kids not only adapted to the environment, they embraced it and grew so fond of it that when the time came to return to their 4th floor walk-up in the Bronx they didn’t want to leave.

When kids that never had the “fresh air” opportunity grow into adults they sometimes come to believe that their world view is exclusively correct and that any other perspective is somehow wrong or backward. These are the types that go on to teach yoga, wear designer clothing and make low budget films shown at TriBeca.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It is a sad fact that folks, who were born and raised in the city, when placed in a rural environment, just don't get it.

[...]

When kids that never had the "fresh air" opportunity grow into adults they sometimes come to believe that their world view is exclusively correct and that any other perspective is somehow wrong or backward.
Dead on right here. This is how we end up with NYC-style gun control in the overwhelmingly rural upstate.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hipsters Illegally Killed Upstate Deer While Making Hipster Apocalypse Movie: Gothamist

As a filmmaker and firearms advocate myself (set lighting technician, all around badass), this is endlessly infuriating. Why charges have not been brought to any of these idiots is beyond me.

Gothamist (not surprisingly) failed to research gun laws before posting this article, stating "It was unclear who owned the rifle or whether it was registered." It would be nice to know who owns this weapon and why it was handed over to inexperienced, unqualified idiots. It would also be nice to give a good smacking around to this crew.

I have worked on some films where some really dodgy stuff went down, including a props PA (production assistant, usually idiots working for free) pulling a prop revolver on me and nearly getting his teeth kicked in as a result of it, but to bring live ammunition onto a film set is freaking unheard of in my circles.

Perhaps I'll take the subway in to the TriBeca Film fest and give them what for.
These people are so pitiful that I don't even know where to begin. In their element, Williamsburg, SOHO, NOHO, LES, UWS, they probably percieve of themselves as cool, creative, with all the answers, when in fact their world-view does not extend east or west of either river, or north of 96th St. I guess the movie will probably show them as growning into real Jeremiah Johnson-ass kickers and they will do interviews about how environmentally savvy they are in comparison to those rural folk in the upstate NY wilds. Kinda sad, really.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
...... "There were so many deer weak from the winter and getting eaten by local dogs we didn't even think about it."....
hahaha exactly which winter was that..
i read that and had to stop there, obvious bull, ive already been pulling deer season sized ticks of me when coming in from spring scouting

the law as i remember it is no one can make a proffit from a crime in new york
the courts should garnish all the films earnings

after this much hubbub im sure it will pay to feed many deer!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It is a sad fact that folks, who were born and raised in the city, when placed in a rural environment, just don't get it.

It's not their fault. Their experiences, education and associations don't prepare them for things "off the asphalt".

Decades ago my family would host a "fresh air kid" each summer. These kids generally came from the five boroughs of New York and had never been more than a few blocks from their homes before. They had never seen expanses of open space, livestock or real darkness. They had never experienced quiet and some of them had trouble sleeping without the high level of ambient noise found in the city.

Things that we other kids took for granted such as swimming in the pond, camping out, having a bon fire or eating things not purchased in a grocery store came as major culture shocks to these kids.

By and large these kids not only adapted to the environment, they embraced it and grew so fond of it that when the time came to return to their 4th floor walk-up in the Bronx they didn't want to leave.

When kids that never had the "fresh air" opportunity grow into adults they sometimes come to believe that their world view is exclusively correct and that any other perspective is somehow wrong or backward. These are the types that go on to teach yoga, wear designer clothing and make low budget films shown at TriBeca.
agreed, even suburban kids have this issue. but at the same time they could have gone to a game farm and and sawed the antlers off a gazelle or something and shot it legaly instead of killing a dear I HAD A CHANCE TO KILL! damn poachers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!!!!

So why do we buy licenses and take firearm safety classes?

Why do we do what we do? Because we respect the law and the environment.

I urge everyone to condone these actions and demand legal action. Remember all we need to do is be quite and they will be able to get away with this. :hissyfit:
I am pretty sure you mean condemn and not condone.... (condone is the exact opposite)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts