New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I believe they were voting on potential amendments over facebook.

Iceland is an interesting place. Very generous social welfare, super expensive cost of living, a high alcoholism rate. and no defense spending.

But I highly recommend a visit as it is a beautiful Scandanavian country. :)

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
If they do not need them, then what for? It would be nice not to have to carry all day and only in certain situations or when you go target shooting.
Sometimes that's nice to think about - that the police don't even need to carry. I didn't ask my friend whether anyone is allowed to have guns for sport - say for an Olympic event. We were too busy arguing.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You see in those super advanced countries there is a high degree of social involvement.
They are small countries so any social policies are easier to manage. They have a very efficient system because unlike other places on earth government employees are dedicated responsible people.
These systems are reviewed constantly and work with ideals that would be sort of an utopia in larger more complex countries.
Even with all that there are situation where they reach a level of stupidity where things do not make any sense but for the most part social programs do work and do work well.
The basic element is that there is a highly educated society, social consciousness, and a huge sense of pride for what they do.
In Norway there is a huge tradition for hunting and shooting sports. People do not have many guns because first of all is very expensive but those that do are great re-loaders and know a lot about hunting or target shooting (very dedicated).
The issue with the packing not packing is very disturbing when thins like the massacre that killed 77 people in that camp in 2001 happens. Then they all wonder how this could happen? They cannot blame the firearms because they their well implemented laws so what was it? A police mistake? Should they allow more CCWs? their maximum sentence is 21years in prison so this has the supreme court there scratching their heads figuring out how they can reprocess the assassin that killed all this people.
This is noway I am talking about.

You see, I see the right to carry very similarly to a vaccination program. You do not have to have everyone packing if there is no need
for it but also no firearms at all in 100 square miles is not good.

In terms of vaccinations the health agencies call it Herd immunity. With herd immunity you only have to have a % of the population vaccinated
so the virus or disease cannot prosper anymore. With firearms this is the same. You have a certain nr. of civilians that go through some good training. They know what to do. Then when we have enough people carrying and with firearms then security gets better.
We go and take our vaccine and do it proudly because it is something we consider good for us and for our communities We are told the risks of some vaccinations and some small percentage might even die from complications but we do it anyway.

The same thing should be with the right to carry / bear arms. This should be part of a social program with lots of education and people should be
proud to be able to contribute to the safety and well-being our our communities.
Isn't this what being a good citizen is in the end?

But unfortunately in our society from politicians to many individuals a lot of things are about ones personal goals and needs first.

Grandma once told me today is all about me me, me first. When Grandpa and I went to Europe to fight the nazis America was all about us, not me.

The nice thing about Iceland and Norway and those beautiful countries is that they have super hot chicks and because it is so cold one of the national sports is ..ya know... They are also into the couples swinging but sorry that is not for me. But that is a different story.

We are who we are nothing less. History will be what we make of it and retribution will not limp to catch up with us.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You see in those super advanced countries there is a high degree of social involvement.
They are small countries so any social policies are easier to manage. They have a very efficient system because unlike other places on earth government employees are dedicated responsible people.
These systems are reviewed constantly and work with ideals that would be sort of an utopia in larger more complex countries.
Even with all that there are situation where they reach a level of stupidity where things do not make any sense but for the most part social programs do work and do work well.
The basic element is that there is a highly educated society, social consciousness, and a huge sense of pride for what they do.
In Norway there is a huge tradition for hunting and shooting sports. People do not have many guns because first of all is very expensive but those that do are great re-loaders and know a lot about hunting or target shooting (very dedicated).
The issue with the packing not packing is very disturbing when thins like the massacre that killed 77 people in that camp in 2001 happens. Then they all wonder how this could happen? They cannot blame the firearms because they their well implemented laws so what was it? A police mistake? Should they allow more CCWs? their maximum sentence is 21years in prison so this has the supreme court there scratching their heads figuring out how they can reprocess the assassin that killed all this people.
This is noway I am talking about.

You see, I see the right to carry very similarly to a vaccination program. You do not have to have everyone packing if there is no need
for it but also no firearms at all in 100 square miles is not good.

In terms of vaccinations the health agencies call it Herd immunity. With herd immunity you only have to have a % of the population vaccinated
so the virus or disease cannot prosper anymore. With firearms this is the same. You have a certain nr. of civilians that go through some good training. They know what to do. Then when we have enough people carrying and with firearms then security gets better.
We go and take our vaccine and do it proudly because it is something we consider good for us and for our communities We are told the risks of some vaccinations and some small percentage might even die from complications but we do it anyway.

The same thing should be with the right to carry / bear arms. This should be part of a social program with lots of education and people should be
proud to be able to contribute to the safety and well-being our our communities.
Isn't this what being a good citizen is in the end?

But unfortunately in our society from politicians to many individuals a lot of things are about ones personal goals and needs first.

Grandma once told me today is all about me me, me first. When Grandpa and I went to Europe to fight the nazis America was all about us, not me.

The nice thing about Iceland and Norway and those beautiful countries is that they have super hot chicks and because it is so cold one of the national sports is ..ya know... They are also into the couples swinging but sorry that is not for me. But that is a different story.

We are who we are nothing less. History will be what we make of it and retribution will not limp to catch up with us.
Okay, the women are hot and willing (they do not understand our hangups about sex) Societally, you are talking about a different bird altogether.
My mother was Icelandic, and i worked for a Norwegian newspaper for eight years. We had this discussion many times, and remember this. Norway has a population equal to the population of New York state, in a country that would stretch from Maine to Key West. they have one language, one religion (standard joke was that 98 percent of Norwegians belong to the Lutheran Church. The other two perccent actually go to church) While they have a diverse political spectrum, all parties are to the left of what we would call center. Walter Mondale, (of Norwegian extraction) would have been considered an arch conservative in Norway.
They are all white. They started importing southern europeans and middle easterners for cheap labor, but when the non-norwegian population grew past six percent, they shut the doors, and if a worker went back home, he would not be allowed back. They are the most nationalistic of the Scandinavians. And the police are not armed. There were police officers on that island, and they could do nothing.
Icelanders are the most xenonphobic population wise. All white, all Lutheran, one language (old Norwegian) and a system that is far to our left.
And FWIW, when the Nazis invaded Denmark, they didn't move quickly enough to stop the Danes (who controlled Iceland) from cutting Iceland Loose (Hitler's plan was to use Iceland/Greenland as stepping stones to attack the US) the Sixth Marines were dispatched to Iceland to protect them. The part that pissed my mother off no end was that the Marines stationed there to protect Iceland were not alllowed to leave their base in uniform.
But yes, the women...Ahhhh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.