New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a IBM U.S GI M-1 Carbine from a buddy for another buddy. And I am wondering what its worth and year's these were made? It looks to be all matching and only change I see is the rear sight. All in all its it great shape.

·
Registered
810 Posts
When they were first produced they had a cost of $45.00 during WWII and were Produced September 1941-August 1945; commercial 1945-present. Not sure what an original one is worth today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^This

I've been researching M1 carbines as of late since it will be my next purchase on my aquisition list and from what I gather the early companys, that produced the USGI weapons such as Inland, IBM, Saganaw, Rockolla, & such have the most value. But, and as with all battle used weapons there is a but, the value fluctuates dependant on original parts vs refurbishment.

To find an original M1 Carbine with it's original all matching parts is rare and drives up the "collector/safe queen value". The vast majority of these though, due to post war military potocol of storage of the weapons, was to disasemble them and seperate parts into buckets such as Trigger groups in one bucket, barrels in another, recievers in another. So when they were bought up and reasembled durring surplus buys most of them were a popperie of manufacturers due to the interchangability of the USGI parts that had strict parameters the different manufactureres were given when they initialy forged the parts. That is also a reason the "commercial brands" such as Universal or Plainfield hold low premiums because without gunsmithing the USGI parts don't fit the rifle properly and may cause safty issues.

So, price is dependant on stripping it down to see exactly what you have. Lightining in a bottle? Or just a really nice USGI gun that has a bit more value than a commercial equivalent.

Thats all I got though so far in my research so I don't have much more to offer on advice.

EinfieldGuy is right with the valuation, alot of variables affecting the price.
Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A little history of I.B.M. and its carbines. : I. B. M.

I usually see them for $750-$1100 depending on condition.
That's a very good link, and you may also want to try www.M1carbineforum.forumco.com.
From the looks of the one in your pic, I'd say the blond stock is not original. I've owned five or six over the years and I've never seen blond wood. and as noted in the link, the parts on any one complete carbine could have come from any one of a dozen makers. I've always felt having the barrel and receiver from same mfr is the most important to me. what devalues them are import marks, carbines that were sent to Israel, japan, china, SVN, Europe and other points where we were supporting war torn allies. It can be said that the carbine was the first AK, since they were issued to any country that pledged to fight the soviets and they can be seen in old post war films from just about any war zone. they have a fascinating history if only they could talk.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys, My buddy is looking at a house so prolly won't be buying it after all. I will take it down and get a better idea of what it is exactly. I am positive the barrel and receiver are IBM. But I will need to look more into the rest. I have taken down my Dads rockola and inland para a few times back in the day so it's a breeze for me.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If you don't already have one and your friend isn't buying it from you I would say keep it, nice piece of history and I love my Universal M1 so a real deal M1 is just that much better, they are fun.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be getting my Dads rockola and inland paratrooper or yeah I would keep it. Just gotta wait till the old koot breaks down and gives them to me. He was in 82nd airborne in korea and carried the M-1 carbine so they are his 2 girl's. lol someday though

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I will be getting my Dads rockola and inland paratrooper or yeah I would keep it. Just gotta wait till the old koot breaks down and gives them to me. He was in 82nd airborne in korea and carried the M-1 carbine so they are his 2 girl's. lol someday though
Keeping it until then will only up its value and in the mean time you have one to play with, just a suggestion :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took off the rear sight the serial number is 39438xx so it puts it in spring 1944. Possible D-Day gun? lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sight was a huge help Gunsick, I found that everything is IBM except the Barrel band(Rock-ola), stock set(no idea) and rear sight(no idea). So it's just about all IBM. I read also that IBM being the last to start building had other companies parts used sometimes. But always the receiver and barrel were IBM. Any ideas on the value now? Everything is in top shape for the age

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's awesome Jeff (Plissken) Its all original stock set then -----
SC-B Sprague & Carleton Co.
Kane, NH
IBM

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm glad my buddy Derek didnt buy it now, lol And will hang onto it a while. Thanx Jeff and great find

1 - 20 of 28 Posts