New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to drop some cash on a new upper for my Allstar Tactical AR15. I have a 4x40 mil dot scope that I will use on it, and it'll be a long(ish) range target upper.

What barrel do you think i should go with?
What type of rail system should I get?
Should I get a bipod for it?
Let me know what you guys think I should get.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What do you want to spend? Thats the question because the answers are endless. Great barrels: Lilja, Novske, White Oaks, Shilen etc,,,try to go light as possible unless you plan on shooting rapid fire often. Rails I like: Seekins Sar Rail, Midwest Ind. Gen 2 SS. Bipods? Depends if you will be shooting prone, otherwise I would go with bipod or monopod sticks for hunting.

Are you hunting with it or is it a range gun or both. Obviously not for self defense if you plan on putting that scope on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll spend anything on it, really. Being cost effective is a plus, but it's not mandatory. It'll be a range gun. I was thinking of putting some 45deg MBUS sights on it, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends what you want to spend, and what caliber you want to shoot...I happen to like calibers between 6mm to 7.62mm and have AR barrels in 6x45mm, 6.5mm PCC, 6.8mm PCC (coming soon), and 7.62x40mm Wilson Tactical all are .223/5.56mm based wildcats/variants...all of which are very to load for and economical to load for. Two of those wildcats mentioned are my own...I only use BHW Poly 3 SS 416R barrels for all my AR needs as they are very accurate, well made, and are reasonably price. As for rails I would buy a USA made quad rail by Leapers/UTG (Pro Models), nice quality for less than $100 at most retailers. Standard Mil-Spec BCG with MPI/HPT bolt will be just fine and a CH with Tac Latch to round out the upper w/ a steel low pro gas block to complete the upper package (avoid the Aluminum gas blocks as you want the same thermal expansion ratio as the barrel). as for the barrel, I would go with a 20" Bbl. w/ a medium weight contour and a rifle length gas system, the rifle length gas system was originally designed for the AR platform for many good reasons which I won't go Into for this thread...also, the shorter barrel lengths Increase muzzle blast significantly, ouch, make sure you have some good hearing protection. As for the upper receiver, I would go with a Aero Precision forged flat top w/ M4 feed ramps. If you have the coin, then I would upgrade the upper with a Mega standard billet upper for more rigidity and Improved accuracy potential. Well there you have it, YMMV.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I like the Troy rails that use the standard barrel nut....

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the Troy versions are in your budget then by all means...The Leapers/UTG Pro models come in two versions: One as a two piece quad rail model that uses a standard barrel nut and the other as a monolithic version with all hardware that's needed Including the barrel nut. They come in standard lengths: Carbine, Mid-Length, and Rifle Length. They all (AFAIK) are capable of using Lo Pro gas blocks, some can also accept piston system gas blocks...Amazon.com: leapers utg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts