New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of moving from VA to NY, I was told that I couldn't keep my AR-15. Need info quick, I don't want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
pin stock if its colapsable, remove flash hider and replace with comp/break, make sure that is pinned/welded on on, shave off bayonet lug.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
^ That ^

As long as you're not moving to NYC anyway.

If you've someone in VA who will do it, you can bring your lower and leave your upper behind to give you more time to decide how you want to go about meeting compliance, then have them ship the upper to you. (its legal to ship an upper via UPS. But just call it 'machine parts' if asked as sometimes things like that dissapear off the trucks)

You can have a functional carbine stock on a lower receiver all day long. It's just when you put an upper on it things get stupid(er)

Alternatively, you could drop the whole thing off at someplace like Allstar Tactical on your way through and they can make things compliant.
From there you can go back and pick it up, or have them ship to a FFL near where you're going to end up.

Just to ask: was your rifle manufactured prior to September 1994?
If so, then you don't have to tweak nuthin as its preban and therefore exempt from the NYAWB.

·
Registered
599 Posts
^ That ^

As long as you're not moving to NYC anyway.

If you've someone in VA who will do it, you can bring your lower and leave your upper behind to give you more time to decide how you want to go about meeting compliance, then have them ship the upper to you. (its legal to ship an upper via UPS. But just call it 'machine parts' if asked as sometimes things like that dissapear off the trucks)

You can have a functional carbine stock on a lower receiver all day long. It's just when you put an upper on it things get stupid(er)

Alternatively, you could drop the whole thing off at someplace like Allstar Tactical on your way through and they can make things compliant.
From there you can go back and pick it up, or have them ship to a FFL near where you're going to end up.

Just to ask: was your rifle manufactured prior to September 1994?
If so, then you don't have to tweak nuthin as its preban and therefore exempt from the NYAWB.
Technically the lower receiver is considered a firearm. ("other" on a 4473.) So if he does bring just the lower into NY with a collapsible stock that is two evil parts(stock + pistol grip). Thats unless he says the upper is a bolt action upper and its not semi!!! lol. The laws are as dumb as they get. But thats what happens when you let rich Harvard book nerds run the place with no real time on experience.

P.S Your best bet is to NEVER come to this state. Their is nothing good here, Virginia is nice.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Any decent gunsmith in your area should be able to make it compliant in about an hour. Keep in mind Allstar isn't a gunsmith, if I was having someone work on my AR they would definitely have a machining background. Most small machine shops smith on the side as well.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You should be fine if you un pin the upper and pack them separate, just make sure once your over the line not to pin it back together until the stock is pinned solid and the muzzle brake is permanent.

I have a friend with an un pinned brake because he is waiting on a free float tube to arrive before he welds it, he transports it in two pieces.

He knows what he is doing but at least he has a plan to fix it in a few days.

Good old NY though.......stay in VA, youll like it better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts