New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinion: Gun control is not the answer - CNN.com

"And it will keep continue to happen until the advocates accept that ridding the country of guns is a hopeless -- and unconstitutional mission -- and that the real goal should be addressing the factors that lead to the various forms of gun violence: factors such as poverty, mental health and failing schools."

"Because like it or not, the folks spraying our cities with bullets are not NRA members or legal gun owners. And despite the tendency to tie it all together, they have nothing to do with the Adam Lanzas of the world."

"This is why gun-control advocates need to abandon the routine of using mass shootings to turn law-abiding citizens into social pariahs and instead focus on something that could work."

OK, this is a very cruel joke one of you guy's has pulled. How did you infiltrate CNN and make this look like a real article just to tease me? Seriously, not funny.

On a serious note, this is one of the best responses to a shooting I have seen, and on a CNN site yet. Bet this guy doesn't have many CNN workers want to eat at his lunch table.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice . Too bad it was an "Opinion" article , instead of a regular one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Now all I seem to hear about is mental health is the key factor not guns which on the surface is encouraging, in that maybe they are starting to see what the real problem is.

But then as you think about it more it gets scary. Is it all just a round about way of dis-arming us.

What will the line be for being named mentally ill and unable to own a firearm? Will it be something as simple as getting treatment for anxiety or depression or will it be full on schitzo's banned from owning them.

It would be easy for the powers that be to make anything and everything a mental illness. If you have an anti-gun doctor he could just diagnose everyone he treats with anxiety, depression etc.. thinking hes saving the world by removing gun owners from it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I just see them using it to ban on an alternative route. Like ny where poor people can't afford pistol permits and then they will say papercuts cause ptsd

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Opinion: Gun control is not the answer - CNN.com

"And it will keep continue to happen until the advocates accept that ridding the country of guns is a hopeless -- and unconstitutional mission -- and that the real goal should be addressing the factors that lead to the various forms of gun violence: factors such as poverty, mental health and failing schools."

"Because like it or not, the folks spraying our cities with bullets are not NRA members or legal gun owners. And despite the tendency to tie it all together, they have nothing to do with the Adam Lanzas of the world."

"This is why gun-control advocates need to abandon the routine of using mass shootings to turn law-abiding citizens into social pariahs and instead focus on something that could work."

OK, this is a very cruel joke one of you guy's has pulled. How did you infiltrate CNN and make this look like a real article just to tease me? Seriously, not funny.

On a serious note, this is one of the best responses to a shooting I have seen, and on a CNN site yet. Bet this guy doesn't have many CNN workers want to eat at his lunch table.
Here's a wild idea; instead of spending millions to portray us as villains, why don't they invite us to the table (not as the main course I should add) to find a solution to the violence. Not gun violence, but garden variety. There are some smart folks on just this site alone, and I'm betting we could come up with some reasonable solutions that don't involve hysteria.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I just see them using it to ban on an alternative route. Like ny where poor people can't afford pistol permits and then they will say papercuts cause ptsd
Well papercuts ARE bad...:cool:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Don't kid yourself, they are not going away, they will be taking a new course of action through health care professionals, Obamacare! While I agree that no one that has mental issues should carry a weapon, a system needs to be in place as to who exactly determines you are indeed incapable of possessing a firearm. I see nothing but abuse with this approach of gun control, our returning soldiers are already feeling it! How would you reverse the doctors decision?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Read the article closely!
Notice that he is suggesting a different approach to accomplishing gun control. He is pointing out that the present tactics employed are ineffective in instituting gun control. He is suggesting a change in tactics, however the goal remains unchanged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe my takeaway is different then yours, but it sounds like he is suggesting attacking the problem of gun violence through means other than gun control. Look at his last line:

Maybe I'm just projecting, but I read that article to state what many of us state. The problem isn't the guns or law abiding gun owners, so lets look at the real causes of these tragedies. I.e. Mental health & an ineffective penal system that hurts harmless people while dangerous people keep getting released.

Read the article closely!
Notice that he is suggesting a different approach to accomplishing gun control. He is pointing out that the present tactics employed are ineffective in instituting gun control. He is suggesting a change in tactics, however the goal remains unchanged.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
ive been screaming this same message. you smoke cigarettes? well thats an addiction so your mentally ill. you drink coffee every day? thats an addiction your mentally ill. you felt sad because your mother died... your depressed, and mentally unfit to own a gun because you might kill yourself or someone else... they are setting the stage to change the rules of the game guys! be ready for it!

Now all I seem to hear about is mental health is the key factor not guns which on the surface is encouraging, in that maybe they are starting to see what the real problem is.

But then as you think about it more it gets scary. Is it all just a round about way of dis-arming us.

What will the line be for being named mentally ill and unable to own a firearm? Will it be something as simple as getting treatment for anxiety or depression or will it be full on schitzo's banned from owning them.

It would be easy for the powers that be to make anything and everything a mental illness. If you have an anti-gun doctor he could just diagnose everyone he treats with anxiety, depression etc.. thinking hes saving the world by removing gun owners from it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Maybe my takeaway is different then yours, but it sounds like he is suggesting attacking the problem of gun violence through means other than gun control. Look at his last line:

Perhaps you are correct. However when he says " Something that could work" does he mean work at stopping violence or work to gain gun control? Like the original title of the thread in regards to pigs flying, I am very skeptical of what he is saying.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
ill say that at face value i actually like the article even if it has an ulterior motive. it clearly states that law abiding guns owners and NRA members are not the problem which is what the media has been spewing forever. and he has a point that in order to curb violence (not just gun related violence) we need to look at the mental health aspect, schools and unemployment rates. if more people are educated in school they will be more inclined to get a job where they can make more money than the government gives them for free so they will be more motivated to actually get a job. if they have a job they are less likely to commit crimes. as for mental health, i think we all agree that severely mentally ill people that are prone to violence should not have access to firearms, but how to we implement something like this without stepping over that very fine line of trampling on the rights of all people. and who decides who is mentally incompetent? there would need to be provisions included in any mental health bills that the gun grabbers cant just start changing the definitions to label anyone who is anything but a leftist progressive is mentally ill and shouldnt have a gun.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Nice to see some truth coming out. I have been seeing many stories and opinions concerning these shootings since The Navy Yard incident. There is a lot of tactics changing, I have heard many anti's and persons on the left going back to the video game aspect. All of these mass shooters play violent video games. Older arguement just new faces talking about it. They know they are losing.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Don't kid yourself, they are not going away, they will be taking a new course of action through health care professionals, Obamacare! While I agree that no one that has mental issues should carry a weapon, a system needs to be in place as to who exactly determines you are indeed incapable of possessing a firearm. I see nothing but abuse with this approach of gun control, our returning soldiers are already feeling it! How would you reverse the doctors decision?
I see where you're coming from Rob, but even here we have to be careful. Mental health issues can be anything from needing to be in a padded cage for a full blown homicidal psychosis to the poor slob whose wife left him, best friend stole his dog, and the cat got pregnant by the chihuahua down the street needing happy pills to get by until life improves. Once a label is applied the feds will NEVER let it go. Any system would be state instituted and therefore anti2A biased. I think if we were to see any new system implemented the gov would quickly learn how to work it against us. The best law is no new law. And if some one is convicted of a real crime (not a parking ticket or some such) using a gun, then no more guns for him. Even that won't work because if you're a Mexican drug cartel boss, Holder will sell 'em to ya cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts