New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I was in my office doing some thinking (a.k.a. "The Shower") on this bull**** law and how people have to render their AR's SAFE compliant.

The law says (paraphrased) "A semi-automatic weapon that accepts a detachable magazine with any feature".

I remember there being another thread that focused on to make your gun compliant. From what I read, all the focus was on the part that said "A semi-automatic weapon that accepts a detachable magazine..." Well, what didn't most people focus on was the part that said "A semi-automatic weapon that accepts a detachable magazine". So let's get to the root of the problem shown in "Exhibit A".

Exhibit A
Office supplies Writing implement Audio equipment Wood Stationery

That hole. That hole is THE KEY to making your AR compliant. Here is why:

The law says "A SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON....la de da de da a bunch of bull**** in between...rendered PERMANENT...". Well, we all know (yes, I know there is no definition of permanent, but bare with me) means 1) You need tools to change it 2) You need something else besides tools. So, what if you did the following:

1) Remove your current barrel (requires a tool)

2) Remove your gas tube

3) Buy a new barrel ($150 - $250. Not cheap I know, but you won't destroy your lower in anyway). You could probably get one cheaper if you look hard enough and buy a new (cheap) gas block.

4) Epoxy the gas hole on the barrel and epoxy the hole on the gas block.

5) Clean the inside of your barrel very good to make sure that the epoxy isn't in the barrel.

6) Attach your new barrel, with your new gas port BUT DON'T ATTACH THE GAS TUBE (requires a tool)

Now, your once semi-automatic AR15 is now.

A BOLT ACTION AR15 THAT IS PERMANENT AND REQUIRES TOOLS TO MAKE REVERT IT

The great think about this is, since it is now a bolt action, you can have any "evil feature" you would like. As long as you only have 1 upper receiver, you have nothing that is "Readily Accessible".

Any thoughts or input?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Can permanently (quotes) attach a mag and still have semi auto for 7 or 10 rounds. Tap and plug gas block rather then destroying barrel. Two other options to consider aside from featureless build with non pistol grip stock. For Gods sake whatever you do make it legal so you don't have to register lol...

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
The one big problem is that when "caught" with that gun you will be arrested and go through the system until Ballistics gets around to test firing it and establishing that it is not a semi auto. In some jurisdictions this can take a LONG time.

The other problem is that in some areas Ballistics does not have the facilities to test fire a rifle.
So that they do is put a cleaning rod down the bore, point it up and pull the trigger. If the rod climbs up, they declare it operable.

Yes, I know that I could shoot holes in that method. It does not take into account an oversize/undersize chamber that will not allow a round to be seated, it does not take into account a cracked receiver that would blow up if discharged, or even a partially blocked bore that would not discharge a round.

However, I have seen this exact test done and testified to in NYC Courts.

So just be aware that a "bolt action" AR, while it should ultimately prove legal, could cost you freedom and a lot of money. The State is NOT going to pay YOUR expert to come in and dispute their report.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
StrongIsland don't feel bad, keep thinking! I was staring at a lower today for an hour before I got a headache trying to find a work around. No one wants to register! I can make my ARs compliant but have some rifles that are basically impossible to make compliant but I'm going to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I guess it's all right if you want a bolt action AR. The big problem I see, is no cop is going to let you walk away with it even if you tell them it's a bolt action. It's going to the NYSP for testing and you're going to the crossbar hotel until someone comes up with bail.

You'd have a better chance with the MR2 IMO.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Personally I like the armr2 idea tge best and next inline is the $5 magazine fix . Although this is certainly a decent idea .

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It would be easier to buy another gas tube and weld it shut.
Just put one if those stupid stocks on it , yes they're ugly but the rifle will function the same and you can quickly change mags.
How bout modify a gas piston kit into a lever action if your looking for a project.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I saw an old cali model ak that gave me an idea.. pinned mag with a rod on the side of the follower to release pressure so you can load rounds in a hole in rear of mag.

I think id rather do that than pull off my upper every 7 rounds.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
couldn't you take a clamp on block and just put it on backwards...the holes don't line up so its shut....

I would not do that with my rifle but just my input. I just made mine compliant until shooter and Tresmonds sucess.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
F.Cuomo Compliance Options:

A) Buy a Exile adapter or torsten psychedelic stock and then if you have a compensator replace your muzzle device with a thread protector or threaded sleeve that must be pinned in place.

B) Bolt the magazine in place and make it permanent enough.

C) Get the gas block off and revert it. If you cannot do that might want to do tap the port 1/8" and put tiny screw and then a clamp on top. A two screw shaft collar will do the same.
Might want to get an side charging upper to do the bolt action thing.

D) For those without a buffer tube like PARA, PDS some old Olys one could probably order a special stock or even maybe adapt a contender.
then for the muzzle do the sleeve if one has a compensator or something. This is something really easy for the converted saigas / aks.

E) Lever release. This will allow the firearm to stay as it is with the exception that one must actuate a lever to charge the firearm after every shot. So it is not autoloader nor pump nor bolt yet it can be reloaded normally.

F) I have seen some pump and bolt action uppers but not easy to find.

...All old high cap mags must have a stop at 10rds and floor covers must be pinned/epoxied or spot welded to be permanent enough.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Grow a set of balls, leave it alone and don't register it...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.