New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Close Ontario Beach Park - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

I was just a few parking spaces away from this and what the story doesn't tell you is that there was at least one guy waving a gun around. I really need to get a pistol permit because once I saw that gun all I could do is run to get the officer on the ATV and that was NOT a good feeling. I'm just glad my friends and I are ok and we were able to get my buddies girlfriend and kid up to the relative safety of Harbor Hots. I would also like to say "holy freaking crap" to both the Rochester and Greece police departments, you guys swarmed that place quick.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Glad you and friends are safe. Why is it, that that festival is always trouble? Great job and hats off to both Police depts.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Animals. That's all they are. That's why I avoid the place.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I don't think it matters if you have a pistol permit or not, running to get the cop on the ATV is the right action either way.

Beside that, you can't carry in a Monroe county park(ing lot)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I really need to get a pistol permit because once I saw that gun all I could do is run to get the officer on the ATV and that was NOT a good feeling.
Parks in Monroe county are off limits even with a permit.

Go to the county legislature meeting on June 12th when they might vote to change that law.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
It's interesting that no news outlet has any mention of guns and only 1 place mentions arrests.

If anyone should go to the meeting on the 12th it is definitely the OP

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
. I would also like to say "holy freaking crap" to both the Rochester and Greece police departments, you guys swarmed that place quick.
I happen to have a little insight on this....

20 RPD cars
11 Greece PD cars
2 NY State Police cars
RPD Prisoner Transport Vehicle

There were initally just a Sgt and four officers assigned to the beach, but as soon as they saw the trouble starting, the Sgt called the cavalry rather than let it get really out of hand. It was handled well and a melee was revented by the agressive response.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not sure why beaches are suddenly the place of choice for the hood rats to gather. Seems like a lot of cities with beaches have faced the same issue (Tampa, FL for example). Maybe they're all there to get free refills (sand between the ears)?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Police Close Ontario Beach Park - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

I was just a few parking spaces away from this and what the story doesn't tell you is that there was at least one guy waving a gun around. I really need to get a pistol permit because once I saw that gun all I could do is run to get the officer on the ATV and that was NOT a good feeling. I'm just glad my friends and I are ok and we were able to get my buddies girlfriend and kid up to the relative safety of Harbor Hots. I would also like to say "holy freaking crap" to both the Rochester and Greece police departments, you guys swarmed that place quick.
I thought guns were not allowed in parks. Someone should revoke his permit! doesn't he know?? lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parks in Monroe county are off limits even with a permit.

Go to the county legislature meeting on June 12th when they might vote to change that law.
It's interesting that no news outlet has any mention of guns and only 1 place mentions arrests.

If anyone should go to the meeting on the 12th it is definitely the OP
I wanted to go to the last one but I had class. Hopefully I'll be able to make it this time.

20 RPD cars
11 Greece PD cars
2 NY State Police cars

There were initially just a Sgt and four officers assigned to the beach, but as soon as they saw the trouble starting, the Sgt called the cavalry rather than let it get really out of hand. It was handled well and a melee was prevented by the aggressive response.
Yeah your guys have been doing a pretty good job down there. Now if only we could convince the MCS that the people in the car scene aren't all criminals that need to be treated like crap.

I've been going there for years for the car show and the past few years have gotten really bad. It seems now, at least for the inner city folks, that the thing to do is to go to the beach to smoke weed, drink, and get into fights. This isn't even the first time I've seen a gun down there and it probably wont be the last. Honestly with the way things are now 4 officers and a Sargent aren't enough. I know that the RPD is stretched kind of thin right now but this is getting out of hand. Maybe Greece could lend a few officers to help.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I thought guns were not allowed in parks. Someone should revoke his permit! doesn't he know?? lol.
Bingo. Once again, proof that banning possession of weapons only serves to provide the criminal with defenseless victims.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You mean the gun free zone forcefield didn't vaporize his gun once he entered the designated zone?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
The laws banning LEGAL concealed carry are a great idea, :rolleyes: if you like the idea of you & your family being caught in the crossfire of some gang-related shooting. CONCEALED CARRY--practice it!! I would rather have my family & myself alive to deal with the courts then dead & dealing with the funeral homes.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
wait are all those parking lots considered monroe county parks?? even though you park there to go to the places inside the fast ferry building??

·
Registered
132 Posts
i hear ya i have metal detected down there and the garbage the animals leave is crazy. i musta found a hundred old english 40 oz bottle caps. onlly way to enjoy that area any more is when its cold out cuz they go inside.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts

20 RPD cars
11 Greece PD cars
2 NY State Police cars

There were initally just a Sgt and four officers assigned to the beach, but as soon as they saw the trouble starting, the Sgt called the cavalry rather than let it get really out of hand. It was handled well and a melee was revented by the agressive response.
Sounds like they were on top of it.

Still... regarding legal concealed carry in parks... by the time the police get there it could be too late. Even if officers are on site they aren't necessarily right where it's happening. That's a big area for a few guys to cover.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i thought you just werent aloud to carry in county parks, like on google maps they list the title of the park, that one is "ontario beach park", if you zoom out a little it will show "barnard park" "basil park". zoom out a little more and then you see "greece canal COUNTY park" "durand eastman COUNTY park" and "genesee valley COUNTY park". ive always thought the ones that say county were off limits but the others were ok.

Darkvibe( i mean jeff, lol ), you always seem to be the quickest at posting penal codes. what constitutes a "county park"???

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Darkvibe, you always seem to be the quickest at posting penal codes. what constitutes a "county park"???
A. No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry any firearm, switchblade, gravity knife, slingshot or other dangerous weapon concealed on or about his or her person while in a park.

B.
No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry, fire or discharge any rifle, shotgun, machinegun, rocket or fireworks of any description, bow or arrow in a park.

And to answer your question, the definition of a "park"...

PARK

The grounds, buildings thereon, waters therein and any other property necessary for the operation thereof and constituting a part thereof, which is now or may hereafter be maintained, operated and controlled by the County of Monroe for public park purpose

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I think its all parks in the county not just county parks. I will look and see if I can beat jeff lol.

Edit: he already beat me to it. Jeff is fast!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A. No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry any firearm, switchblade, gravity knife, slingshot or other dangerous weapon concealed on or about his or her person while in a park.

B.
No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry, fire or discharge any rifle, shotgun, machinegun, rocket or fireworks of any description, bow or arrow in a park.

And to answer your question, the definition of a "park"...

PARK

The grounds, buildings thereon, waters therein and any other property necessary for the operation thereof and constituting a part thereof, which is now or may hereafter be maintained, operated and controlled by the County of Monroe for public park purpose
in that case i am never going to go do business at any of those restraunts ever again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts