New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at weapons laws in florida because i am thinking about moving there soon and i came across this, could someone please help me make sense of this because im lost haha. =p Thanks alot to anyone who can help me!

a. It is the intent of this section to provide uniform firearms laws in the state; to declare all ordinances and regulations null and void which have been enacted by any jurisdictions other than state and federal, which regulate firearms, ammunition, or components thereof; to prohibit the enactment of any future ordinances or regulations relating to firearms, ammunition, or components thereof unless specifically authorized by this section or general law; and to require local jurisdictions to enforce state firearms laws.

The page i was reading it was archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?m&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.33.html

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I was looking at weapons laws in florida because i am thinking about moving there soon and i came across this, could someone please help me make sense of this because im lost haha. =p Thanks alot to anyone who can help me!

a. It is the intent of this section to provide uniform firearms laws in the state; to declare all ordinances and regulations null and void which have been enacted by any jurisdictions other than state and federal, which regulate firearms, ammunition, or components thereof; to prohibit the enactment of any future ordinances or regulations relating to firearms, ammunition, or components thereof unless specifically authorized by this section or general law; and to require local jurisdictions to enforce state firearms laws.

The page i was reading it was archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?m&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.33.html
It's saying that this section makes all firearms laws regulated by anything other than the state and ATF null and void.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
^ exactly. So lets say miami wanted to make up its own firearms laws. They cant because of the law you quoted. So only the state and federal firearms laws in florida are enforceable and any local firearms laws are null and void.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I dont know anything about them other then this law you posted lol. But just that one law must make things so much easier. There you have to worry about Federal and state law. Here in NYS we have to worry about federal, state, and local laws which is tougher to know all of them depending on where you go.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Florida has pretty relaxed laws. Much better than NY. You can have a loaded rifle in a vehicle I'm pretty sure they don't have any 500 ft rule either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you can get a job down there, MOVE! A good friend of mine lives in Vero Beach and the firearms laws are lax down there...maybe its not that they're lax but that we are just too restricted..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
word, a couple buddies are offering me a job down there laying asphalt, concrete ect ect and also doing it traveling the us(but they are based in fla) so it sounds very appealing at the moment, trying to sell a few things in order to get down there.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know guys, this is not NY...but...in NY there is no LAW that says you cannot Open Carry...and some people do. In FL, a concealed carry license is "Shall Issue", but unless you meet one of the exemptions in their law, it is also "shall conceal". Like TX, there is no general Open Carry. Other than that, Florida has pretty good firearm laws.

A good general resource is www.handgunlaw.us. They are as up to date on the changes in the laws as any other resource, and better than most.

As to your original question: I will give an example from WA...works the same way in FL...Seattle passed a law that said you could not carry in a Seattle City Park...SAF took them to court. They were told by the court...take the signs down, You do not have the power to regulate firearms and you law is null and void..., Firearms regulation has been reserved by the state legislature to itself. Exactly the same in FL...you do not have to worry about local gotyas...they are not legal for a local government to enact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The law the OP posted is called a state preemption law. One thing to be careful with is that any local law that had been passed prior to the passing of the state preemption law is still valid.

FL allows NFA toys, such as suppressors and SBR's.

FL doesn't have a state assault weapons ban. Mags over 10 rounds are 100% legal.

·
Registered
753 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts