New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found out that my mounting job is actually pretty damn ****ty, scope sits pointing way right, after trying to hit a 100 yard target for 15 shots without seeing where the bullet was at all, and then finding out that at 10 yards I cant hit a 24 inch piece of metal I checked the scope, and yea, its ****ed lol

So is there any way to fix this? I've got 2 holes already drilled, short of just getting a mount and drilling holes on some other part of the receiver I'm not sure what to do. I got an 8 inch group out of this rifle with iron sights while standing up (I took the scope off to check the accuracy), the rifle can do the job my mounting job ****ed it up.

Rifle in question:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/diy-projects-builds/24632-sniper-mosin-nagant.html

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
without seeing the mount it would be difficult to tell you where to shim...
Its not really shimming the holes are drilled off center which makes the mount cocked to the right, I'm not sure how I would shim that, is there a way?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fill the holes with filler and try again?
Where can you get this filler? It'd be on a Mosin Nagant receiver, I just have never filled metal in before.

I'm looking into doing this and if my second attempt is just as horrible I'm going with a PE mount which is gonna cost me a bunch.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nvm thought it was drilled into the wood..... you can have someone maybe weld the hole shut :/
Ah, yea I thought about that but idk where to have that done, its looking like the PE mount is my only option as it drills into either side rather then on the top like the ATI mount did (Also it will cover up the holes lol)

It still shoots just fine with the exposed holes in the receiver right now, tried it out with iron sights just today after I took the scope off to see if my rifle was ruined for good or if it could shoot with the holes where I drilled them.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about getting the mount that takes over the rear sight? or are you trying to keep it
I'm trying to keep the irons on it but add a scope, plus I prefer the scope close to my eye.

· Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Look for a local welding shop. They should be able to fill the holes. Just be sure to let them know you need to redrill the receiver after so they use a rod that won't suck the carbon out of the parent and turn the weld hard as glass. A good welder should know what to use and be capable of this as long as he knows what you want. We use 7018 low hydrogen rod to weld in our shop when we have to machine the weld after but I'm sure there are others out there.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look for a local welding shop. They should be able to fill the holes. Just be sure to let them know you need to redrill the receiver after so they use a rod that won't suck the carbon out of the parent and turn the weld hard as glass. A good welder should know what to use and be capable of this as long as he knows what you want. We use 7018 low hydrogen rod to weld in our shop when we have to machine the weld after but I'm sure there are others out there.
Thanx, I'll have to look around, I think I'm gonna just shell out for a better scope mount anyway so I may just have them permanently filled, living in a small area is good for state land shooting, not so good for finding specialty shops >_< a fiend at work might be able to help me out if it just needs welding.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
You can fill the holes or you can make new ones and the old ones will be covered by the mount by simply moving it a tad forward or backwards. Most likely you want to bed the new mount with epoxy so this will also seal the old ones. The key is find a way that you can mark where you need to tap but you need to make sure next time you align things perfectly. You will need a laser bore-sighter, Calibrate the scope in the perfect center (use a mirror) and then mount the scope to the mount/s and align the reticle with your laser in a wall using a printed grid perfectly vertical or using a plumb weight and string or a modern laser one that also self plumb and align. All this you need the action on a vise and a few yards between the rifle and the wall before you can mark where to drill and tap again. Maybe the far side of the basement or garage. If you do not have the proper tools do not even try eyeballing again. Better take it to a gunsmith and have it properly done.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Just fill the holes with JB Weld,then hit them with a little liquid blue,or a bluing stick.....Birchwood Casey makes both....

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea my friend just suggested JB weld, I think I'm going that route for sure. JB weld blues up nice? I've already got liquid bluing stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.