New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always loved to cook. The invention of Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram have been blessings from God for someone like myself. I am no expert chef by any means, but I love to find different recipes. I have learned so much about cooking just from the internet alone, and I have also made a number of dishes that I think were fantastic.

All of this has lead me to the point of wanting to learn even more about cooking than I currently know. The internet is great, but the reality is that it can only do so much to help me learn how to cook even better. There are little techniques and methods that I feel I could only learn from a hands on class and teacher.

So as most of us do, I headed over to the internet and Wikipedia to learn about different classes and options that are available. I found a ton of information on Wikipedia at Cooking school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about culinary and cooking schools. I was amazed to learn that there is so much that can be learned at such a school. I have worked at a few restaurants in my day, but none of them were at a level that a culinary school takes it to.

My problem or concern is the fact that I am a busy person with a career, kids, and a house to take care of. Trying to find enough time to juggle schooling on top of it all concerns me. I can barely keep up as it is now with all of the demands on my time and energy.

I don't know that I need to go off to school for cooking to accomplish my goals. I am not necessarily looking to get a job as a chef or anything of the sort, but I would love to learn more. I love cooking just for the sake of cooking, and I love to try new things, techniques, and recipes. I have considered attending courses that are available instead of just going back to school.

I guess I am looking for some advice from everyone about what the best course of action would be. Have any of you gone back to culinary school with the demands of a job and family? Any tips on balancing the different demands? If I wanted to get a job eventually that works with food, do you think that there is a major advantage of going to culinary school compared to being self-taught? I really want to learn more about cooking all types of meals from entres to deserts.

I am open to any advice that anyone can offer me. I really want to learn more, but I have gotten to a point where the internet just doesn't cut it any more. I have found a ton of great recipes, but I want to take my cooking ability to the next level.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Watch hells kitchen kids edition if you really want to feel like a mcdonalds fry cook ;)

But seriously just start getting adventurous. Start making stuff up with what ever you have on hand. Watch all of the cooking shows on pbs, they're better than the network shows.

Buy cook books.....

You don't need to go to school and even if you wanted to turn pro you'll have to apprentice before any one will hire you for upscale.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I expect that cooking school would expose you to a wider variety of techniques and styles of cooking than you otherwise might be inclined to learn about through your own research. I dont know what sort of certification restaurants look for in a chef, or if it's more of a "show me what you can do" sort of a thing. Classic cook books like "The Joy of Cooking" are probably good places to look for fundamental recipes and concepts. My $.02

So I have always loved to cook. The invention of Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram have been blessings from God for someone like myself. I am no expert chef by any means, but I love to find different recipes. I have learned so much about cooking just from the internet alone, and I have also made a number of dishes that I think were fantastic.

All of this has lead me to the point of wanting to learn even more about cooking than I currently know. The internet is great, but the reality is that it can only do so much to help me learn how to cook even better. There are little techniques and methods that I feel I could only learn from a hands on class and teacher.

So as most of us do, I headed over to the internet and Wikipedia to learn about different classes and options that are available. I found a ton of information on Wikipedia at Cooking school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about culinary and cooking schools. I was amazed to learn that there is so much that can be learned at such a school. I have worked at a few restaurants in my day, but none of them were at a level that a culinary school takes it to.

My problem or concern is the fact that I am a busy person with a career, kids, and a house to take care of. Trying to find enough time to juggle schooling on top of it all concerns me. I can barely keep up as it is now with all of the demands on my time and energy.

I don't know that I need to go off to school for cooking to accomplish my goals. I am not necessarily looking to get a job as a chef or anything of the sort, but I would love to learn more. I love cooking just for the sake of cooking, and I love to try new things, techniques, and recipes. I have considered attending courses that are available instead of just going back to school.

I guess I am looking for some advice from everyone about what the best course of action would be. Have any of you gone back to culinary school with the demands of a job and family? Any tips on balancing the different demands? If I wanted to get a job eventually that works with food, do you think that there is a major advantage of going to culinary school compared to being self-taught? I really want to learn more about cooking all types of meals from entres to deserts.

I am open to any advice that anyone can offer me. I really want to learn more, but I have gotten to a point where the internet just doesn't cut it any more. I have found a ton of great recipes, but I want to take my cooking ability to the next level.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I graduated from culinary school, and have been cooking for a living since. I grew up cooking, and had some good skills before school, but there's a huge difference between being a good home cook and being a professional chef. If you want to cook for a living, I would definitely recommend culinary school/ training. If you just want to be a better home cook, there are classes for that too. I guess it depends what, exactly you want to do. One can learn to cook through recipes, videos, etc, but being a professional chef involves much more than being a good cook. Even a degree from the best school in the world only gives you a foundation. The rest takes years of industry training and experience to even hope to master. This is not to say that learning it on your own is impossible, its just a whole lot easier to learn a profession from a professional.
On a side note, being a chef can be a very rewarding career/lifestyle, but it tends to become just that, a lifestyle. Ling hours, weekends, holidays, opposite work schedules from your sane friends and family. It can take a toll on you and your loved ones. I am very fortunate that my wife is understanding.
I don't want to discourage anyone from following such a career path, just make sure you think it through. It is a decision that can dramatically change your life.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Well only one thing to do...
practice, practice, practice and Taste, Taste, Taste.

But NEVER GO to the Hack cooking classes of Cook&Go Culinary Studio!

SPAM never leaves a good taste in your mouth!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Take a page from Julia Child's book, literally. There is a 2 book set "Mastering the art of French cooking". Also a new and easy book by Jacques Pepin "Essential Pepin" . Unless you plan on working as a chef cooking school is overboard. These 3 books, as you make the recipes you will notice similar techniques for various types of foods and some basic equipment that you may or may not have in your kitchen. a good knife set, a goof sent of pans and a few other basics and its just time and practice. I've been a chef, went through school, worked for 15years in various kitchens from casual to fine dining (no Michelin star places around me) Get the books and cook, bet way to learn, and if your keeping your eyes open you will see the basics that they would teach you in school (albeit not as in-depth as a school, but you also don't have 50k in debt from Culinary Institute of America, Johnson and Wales, etc etc) Check your local schools (BOCES generally has continuing ed cooking classes) or look for a cooking club (many chefs enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and flexibility of a club to experiment and pass along their tips.) As Av8r listed Americas test kitchen is actually good for understanding the basics of how food works and interacts to develop the flavors and textures in foods and how to achieve the results you want. "Recipes from Americas Test Kitchen" One last thing all the books and classes will only give you a foundation, your personal style and cooking passions will help you develop your own style of cooking. Get the books, pick a recipe a day, cook it, it the same time as you would put into school, you can develop the skills. Also a into book on the basics (tools, layout, other equipment)

if you want more info or ask questions about cooking/recipes feel free to PM me.

here a simple recipe my family loves, but its basically potato crack so plan on making them often once you try them-Creamy Puffed Potatoes

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I cooked for 7 years professionally ranging from low end diners to a 4 star resort. I never had any formal training though rather wished I had pursued culinary school.

I would say if you arent interested in classes educating yourself is by no means impossible. Watch food network, read forums, take from the experience of others, its what you would be paying for in a school in a more direct manner. Try a different out of your experience dish one night a week, dont be afraid of failure, have a simple back up plan in mind in case its not as good as you would hope.

Take some time to build a pallete, let your taste buds experience things they arent used to.notice how certain things blend together in dishes you are familiar with and dont be hesitant to try "wierd" combinations, remember chocolate covered bacon is delicious ;) Dont be afraid to try anything twice, your brain may be set to not enjoy it on the first round.

Discover fresh spices as opposed to dried or powered if you havent already. A small herb garden in your kitchen can provide fresh herbs all year long for minimal cost, and the difference between fresh and powdered or dried is huge.

Try stock recipes you may be interested in and then see what you can do to improve them. My mother and my grandmother's cookbooks ( I guess they were my formal training lol) are full of additions and subtractions to recipes to personalize or improve them.

Learn about heat. Most people I know that "cant cook" just have no understanding of heat and how it applies to the chemistry of the food they are working with.

Learn knife skills, from sharpening, to proper cutting techiniques, to advanced techniques, without basic proper knife skills in a kitchen one is a large danger to themselves. Im sure there are great videos on Youtube that will help on this endeveour, just always practice slowly, a good kitchen knife can remove the end of a digit with little force.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, if you have any other questions, let me know

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
How does one create search engine optimization and improve google rank for an online kitchen supply business?
First you must quest to regain the holy idols of shemendoor. Once you have them you will travel into the mouth of the dormant volcano and perform the ritual of the seven spears lasting for no less than a fortnight. At this time the dragon will appear, you will only be able to defeat it by summoning the magic hamsters trapped in the idol. With the demise of the dragon amongst much flatulent death throws you will gain you number one listing for at least 3 months time on all major search engines for your kitchen supply business. Guaranteed

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Only cooking skills i need is a 12 pak on ice with a hot charcoal grill at my camp site.If im really needing that bad ass meal ill get the Dutch Oven out.Done

·
Registered
625 Posts
My wife just got her culinary degree graduate with high honors this happen a year ago well she cant cook any better than she could before going to school and she has since changed careers again. ? just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.