New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I saw in my USPS informed digest of the mail I'm getting today, and I saw the self-addressed envelope that was part of the application package come back from the Sheriff's office!

Now, the long wait for the mail...

BTW, here are some stats in case you were wondering. I turned my application in August 23, 2022. So if I receive it today, that makes it 149 days start to finish. EDIT: This is for a hunting and target license.

I am 37 years old, I have been arrested 3 times, once when I was a 14 (petit larceny), 21 (DUAI) and 23 (Driving with a suspended license). Absolutely nothing since then however. I wrote a letter to the judge explaining all of them, and hopefully got across to him that I'm a good person who made some ill-advised choices when I was younger, but I am not that same person anymore. I'm a father and a husband working hard to provide for my family and I have always loved shooting targets since I was a young guy when I would go out with my dad and we'd plink with his 30-30. We moved back to NY in 2020 to be closer to family (my wife and I grew up here) for my son who is a toddler. But prior to that, we lived in NH and Maine for 9 years, where I was a responsible gun owner the entire time.

I worded it a bit better in my letter to the Judge, but that was the gist of it. Anyway, I will let you know, and update this post. This information may help others who are thinking of applying in Saratoga County. Cross your fingers for me! I really want to be able to shoot with my 2 1911's again that are currently at my friends in Maine!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I am one of the newest Permit holders in NYS! I have to say that I was not expecting an unrestricted license. But the Class/Type on my permit just states "Carry Concealed". Whereas my friend who got his before the SC's decision to strike down the NYS requirement, it has "Hunting/Target" underneath. My neighbor has his, and when he bought a new gun (one before and one after 9/1/22), when he got his new card with them on it his "Hunting/Target" was also wiped away. He stated that "Hunting/Target" as a class is no longer valid after the SC. I thought I had to apply for it specifically as unrestricted.

I'm going to do some more research and see if that is the case before I assume myself into a felony. I will update this thread if I have any new information.

Oh, and there must either be a new judge for Saratoga County who handles the permits, or she was taking some backlog of applications from Judge Murphy III. But the judge that signed my permit is the Hon. Kathleen B. Hogan if anyone is wondering. But both Judge Murphy and Judge Hogan have my vote next election regardless!

· Registered
428 Posts
So I am one of the newest Permit holders in NYS! I have to say that I was not expecting an unrestricted license. But the Class/Type on my permit just states "Carry Concealed". Whereas my friend who got his before the SC's decision to strike down the NYS requirement, it has "Hunting/Target" underneath. My neighbor has his, and when he bought a new gun (one before and one after 9/1/22), when he got his new card with them on it his "Hunting/Target" was also wiped away. He stated that "Hunting/Target" as a class is no longer valid after the SC. I thought I had to apply for it specifically as unrestricted.

I'm going to do some more research and see if that is the case before I assume myself into a felony. I will update this thread if I have any new information.

Oh, and there must either be a new judge for Saratoga County who handles the permits, or she was taking some backlog of applications from Judge Murphy III. But the judge that signed my permit is the Hon. Kathleen B. Hogan if anyone is wondering. But both Judge Murphy and Judge Hogan have my vote next election regardless!
Success! Those with a Target or Sportsman Restriction are able to request the County Clerk remove them for Unrestricted. In Westchester, NYC, Nassau and Suffolk who have a restricted pistol license need to take the required 18 hour training. The CCIA requires all new applicants to take the 18 training course.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
There are no longer restricted permits and only CCW or premise permits. If yours says concealed carry that’s what it is. Watch out because it doesn’t mean you can carry anywhere so you maybe a felon anyway.

· Registered
3 Posts
I’m in Rensselaer Cty. I applied for a premise permit in late July. I had completed all the docs in May and didn’t want to start over to apply for a CCW. I turned them in and received a CCW 4 weeks later. I was told all permits issued after the SC ruling and before Sept. 1 were issued as CCW regardless of what was on the application.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
I’m in Rensselaer Cty. I applied for a premise permit in late July. I had completed all the docs in May and didn’t want to start over to apply for a CCW. I turned them in and received a CCW 4 weeks later. I was told all permits issued after the SC ruling and before Sept. 1 were issued as CCW regardless of what was on the application.
Not in every county as far as I know but hey good for you.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that is the general consensus, and that is what the Sheriff's office told me. All Hunting/Target licenses are now full CCW if you had one or started your application before 9/1. Obviously still bound by all the rules of the CCIA while it trickles up the courts, and I will be certain to be mindful of those rules.

If you have a license with Hunting/Target on it, you can have it removed by asking the Sheriff's office for a new card (its a few dollars I believe, in Saratoga County anyway), or you can buy another gun and when you get your amended license back it will not have it on there. But just the words now are meaningless like you all are saying unless you are in those Southern counties.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
She was district attorney in Warren County then became a State Judge. Last I knew she was assigned to Schenectady Co. However, things certainly may have changed. She may have been helping out for Saratoga CO. You may have lucked out if that is the case. I would do some research in regards to how you may vote in the future in Saratoga CO. Don't let your warm and fuzzy feelings about getting your Pistol Lic. be the sole criteria for how you may vote.
Does the long letter that reminds you of all the places you cannot carry and points out all the restrictions on your Lic. under the ICCA come in the envelope when Hogan signs your permit like it does when Murphy signs it?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah for sure, I was just in a good mood when I wrote that, I do research on all candidates down to the town level in elections before I vote for one of them.

No, mine was just stapled to a printout in all capital letters reminding me of my responsibility to keep it locked and away from children or felons etc. No mention of the CCIA. It looked like it had been scanned from a printout from the 90's.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Yeah for sure, I was just in a good mood when I wrote that, I do research on all candidates down to the town level in elections before I vote for one of them.

No, mine was just stapled to a printout in all capital letters reminding me of my responsibility to keep it locked and away from children or felons etc. No mention of the CCIA. It looked like it had been scanned from a printout from the 90's.
I have had my NYS pistol Lic. for a long time. I sent an amendment request and under why I was sending the amendment I wrote "to remove the administrative restrictions placed upon my NYS pistol Lic." I suspect it was unpleasant for judge Murphy to read. I will be first to say that perhaps I am making incorrect assumptions in that regard. I also will be first to admit that administrative restrictions have long been an issue to me. I have read several denial letters where people were told that they must prove to the judge that they have a need for a Lic. without administrative restrictions that exceeds the needs of the average resident in the County. When I received my new Lic. I also received a full page letter reminding me of all the restrictions that the CCIA placed upon me. Listing every off limits place individually. I interpreted it to say, "You won one in the SC but we still have you by the short hairs". Again, might just be me as the administrative restrictions have always been a sore point for me.
I do think it is interesting that a permit for Saratoga County signed by Hogan did not include the letter that was included with a permit for Saratoga County signed by Murphy. Gee, perhaps the letter was a "one off" and II should feel special.

· Registered
1,031 Posts

I hope you understand that your carry pistol license is very limited in scope as to where you can carry outside the house under the current CCIA that took effect last September. The CCIA virtually outlaws guns outside the home with a long list of sensitive and restrictive locations. Restrictive locations is you cannot carry on private property by default. This includes malls, stores, gas stations, restaurants, theaters, museums, supermarkets etc. In essence, your pistol license is a glorified premises license. Basically, allows you to go to range and back without any stops along the way.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
I hope you understand that your carry pistol license is very limited in scope as to where you can carry outside the house under the current CCIA that took effect last September. The CCIA virtually outlaws guns outside the home with a long list of sensitive and restrictive locations. Restrictive locations is you cannot carry on private property by default. This includes malls, stores, gas stations, restaurants, theaters, museums, supermarkets etc. In essence, your pistol license is a glorified premises license. Basically, allows you to go to range and back without any stops along the way.
Close but not so accurate. If the private property have a sign saying it’s allowed to carry then you can. Also most public roads and sidewalks are ok to carry on unless there’s an event or a protest there.

· Registered
43 Posts
All Supreme Court judges in NY go on a rotation to different courts from time to time. Right now, Kate Hogan is on rotation to Saratoga County.

There are no more restricted "C" permits. That was ruled unConstitutional under the Bruen decision. It was called the "proper and just clause."

So you either have a "P" permit (Premise permit) allowing you to keep a handgun at the address listed on the permit (home or business) or a "C" permit - to have and carry concealed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts