New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting about three years ago, and have been buying guns at a pretty steady pace since then. Today I finally did it. I sold my first gun. I now understand what a woman feels like when she gives her child up for adoption. The heart ache and feeling of loss whose only solace is the hope that his new owner will take him out of the safe more often. Hopefully to a nice outdoor range where he can run all day long. I keep telling myself I did the right thing for both of us. Good by sub 2000. I miss you.

Now what to do with that empty space in the vault?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That's what I felt like, too, but I realized that the rifle I sold was likely going to someone who's more knowledgible on the subject than I am, and may actually bring himself to shoot it at some point, as I didn't want to put steel cases through it, but I can't bring myself to buy brass-cased 7.62x39.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just did the same thing, sold my first gun. I was always of the mind that once I bought it, I'd keep guns forever. I sold my first paintball gun, a Tippman Pro-Am, and regretted it that same day. That kind of stuck with me, so I wasn't planning on selling any of my firearms, ever.

I picked up a Rem. 700 ADL in .243 Win a couple of years ago. It wasn't in great shape, the factory stock was beat to hell, but all the metal was good. A lot of TLC, modifying and finishing a pepper/black Boyd's thumbhole, BDL bottom metal, all to get it where I wanted it to be.
Hell, the cost of $1 a round for that rifle is what drove me to reload!
Sold the .243 so I could buy my Savage 10 in .308.
It was kind of :( to see the .243 go after I put all that work into it, but in all honesty, it wasn't the rifle I really wanted, so I'm not heart broken over it.
The trick is to sell a gun you aren't thrilled with, and buy one that you are, it sooths the loss :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i was hard-up for cash and estranged from my old man when i sold my mossberg 500 20 gauge about a year ago. now that i'm working steady again and back on good terms with my dad i have an urge to buy it back, if only for sentimental reasons. fortunately, something tells me this won't be an issue since it's living in my best friend's safe and his boys are still too young to shoot it. just as with women, you never forget your first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sold my first gun not too long ago. As I got more into pistols my tastes changed a bit so I rarely used it anyway. There was a little hesitation but the money went towards bigger and better things...

-Jay

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just sold my first gun, too. An early '70's Mossberg 30-30.
I hadn't shot it in years, and the money went towards a brand new Ruger SP101, but it still stings a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts