New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some P.O.S. busted into my car last night, stole my Sirius radio reciever, a hunting knife from the glove box(I KNOW IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE), 'thought' I was kosher in this neighbor hood, wtf? but I'm not the only one, actually the only ones who didn't get broke into are the "scumbagss" at the end of the street....the neighbors, cops and I find this just a little perculiar...SUPER glad they didn't get into the truck, omg I would of went nuts. lol ahhh thanks for letting me vent. P.S. Sirius is sending me a new dock at no charge, cool!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It can and will happen anywhere, at any time.

Glad that YOU are OK and it was just some stuff that you lost, albeit important stuff.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
It can and will happen anywhere, at any time.
yeah, this took me a while to understand, no place is safe from this stuff.

sure it may be more common in "worse" parts of town, but that doesn't make a nice (or desolate) area immune.

i've accidentally left all my tools in the back of my open truck bed (tailgate down even!) before in sh*ty parts of Troy without incedent.
And then have had parts stolen off of my truck in a nice part of webster. weird world we live in.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I remember back when I was 16 and I was in Honoye, NY (small town -- 1 stop light, 3 garages, 10 bars... you guys know what i'm talking bout) and I went to the local grocery store. I was stopping as an errand for the place I worked, and I never felt more safe anywhere, so I often left my keys right in the ignition. While inside, the owner of the blue mustang w/ keys left in ignition was paged to teh front. Off I went, and there was an older police officer there (county sheriff) who had brought my keys in. He said that he brought them in not because he didn't trust the town in general, but because "you never know. even down here, someone might feel froggy some day and then you'll be without your car and the things inside it".

To this day, even at my own house when home during the day w/ people over, lock every door to my house and vehicles.

Not that my story helps you in any sense, but perhaps a future thought to ponder for others who don't lock thing's up

·
Registered
153 Posts
I travel for a living so everything of mine is locked 24/7. I trust no one.... In my last car I used to take the receiver off the mount for my Sirius everywhere I went and put it in the center consul.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Was your vehicle locked? Too many times I see where crooks just go aound pulling on door handles and if it's locked they won't go any further. It's the unlocked doors get stuff stolen.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You will find many scumbags ignore the bad parts of town more so because there aren't nice things and people more often lock their doors there.

The nice neighborhoods usually have the people who leave things laying about, doors unlocked, etc. Crooks aren't dumb they're looking for easy pickin's

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bought a console vault for my tacoma, for that exact fear. I'd tell you what I keep in there.....but then I'd have to kill you

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sucks, sorry to hear it. I suspect these petty crimes of survival (my term) are going to be on the rise given the continued job market woes and inflation & wage stagnation.

When you have a growing % of the population struggling to make ends meet they will have to do something. I'm not justifying crime of course, just stating the reality. The irony of urban sprawl and attempting to move away from crime is the end result. People move and the good jobs tend to follow them leaving pockets of poverty and a declining tax base which leads to under-funded education & worsening crime. So now you have people with no jobs and nothing but time to make their way to your neck of the woods where they know the paydirt is. Hopefully I'm wrong and this is all just a dream. 8/

You will find many scumbags ignore the bad parts of town more so because there aren't nice things and people more often lock their doors there.

The nice neighborhoods usually have the people who leave things laying about, doors unlocked, etc. Crooks aren't dumb they're looking for easy pickin's
This! Poor people don't usually bother stealing from poor people. Best bet is to get an alarm or flashing LED and hide anything of remote value from sight. Crime is an opportunistic mindset, easy pickins or move on to the next one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah that crackhead wakes up and thinks to himself, I want to score some rocks where do I go?
Do I go to the nice neighborhood with expensive cars who think they are safe?

Naww **** that, I will try to go jack my neighbor tyrone the crackhead who will most likely stab/shoot.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I bought a console vault for my tacoma, for that exact fear. I'd tell you what I keep in there.....but then I'd have to kill you
Lighten up Francis

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
When I was in Cali. (you remember super-safe Cali. right?) some punk broke into my parent's car right directly in front of us. We were in the garage having a party and heard the smashing glass of the back window and looked up and saw the punk.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
At the end of the day, locks only stop law abiding citizens. Other than that, they are just there to slow the criminal down. Where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was your vehicle locked? Too many times I see where crooks just go aound pulling on door handles and if it's locked they won't go any further. It's the unlocked doors get stuff stolen.
No I never locked the car, not once in 4 years here, My service vehicle is like fort knox and someone would be making alot of noise trying to get even close to my tools. Just that secure feeling I guess, I'll be damned if I ever get that back again. I guess this was inevitable....learning experience. I think what bothers me the most is that hunting knife, That was my first that I bought..sentimental value thats all. But it's all material possessions, My family is safe, I'm safe thats all that matters.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
No I never locked the car, not once in 4 years here, My service vehicle is like fort knox and someone would be making alot of noise trying to get even close to my tools. Just that secure feeling I guess, I'll be damned if I ever get that back again. I guess this was inevitable....learning experience. I think what bothers me the most is that hunting knife, That was my first that I bought..sentimental value thats all. But it's all material possessions, My family is safe, I'm safe thats all that matters.
Well hopefully you start locking the doors from now on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts