New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm kind of excited after falling flat on back ordered parts. I found a barrel that fits my needs, but I have a question:

The barrel is stainless. What does stainless gain over chrome moly steel or vice versa?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Stainless is weather resistant, but well wear out faster than a high carbon steel barrel. Unless you are shooting 10s of 1000s rounds or long range bullseye you shouldn't notice though. My 308 AR has a stainless barrel it should last the life of the rifle and probably out live me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok, I'm kind of excited after falling flat on back ordered parts. I found a barrel that fits my needs, but I have a question:

The barrel is stainless. What does stainless gain over chrome moly steel or vice versa?
Found this comparison for you:
Over 90% of high-grade match barrels are made from Stainless Steel. Stainless is easier to machine because it is slightly softer. It is also easier to apply a fine, hand-lapped finish to a stainless bore. That said, chrome-moly barrels can be just as accurate, when made correctly, and there is evidence a chrome-moly barrel will hold its accuracy longer than a stainless barrel.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

It seems the verdict is still up in the air because I keep finding conflicting views. For as much as I plan to shoot my AR, the life of the barrel isn't a huge issue to me.

Sadly, I thought the barrel was in stock, but the availability changed, so I'll have to wait on it I suppose.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A Cold hammer forged chrome lined Milspec barrel "should" have a longer service life than a match grade not chrome lined stainless barrel. This is due to a couple reasons (durability of the chrome lining) but more so on the type of use and expectations each barrel has. A match grade barrel gets tossed by a high power shooter after a few thousand rounds or as soon as the groups open up to an intolerable level. Where a CHFCL barrel will get the piss pounded out of it by a defensive shooter for a LONG time as super accuracy is not a concern to them.

20k round torture tests have been done to each type of barrel (many times) and both types have had barrels last longer and some fell very short of the expected life cycle.

The most important thing is to find out who actually made the stainless barrel, the AR world is plagued with "re-branders" finding out who actually machined the part is more important than who's name is roll marked on it.

So find the real maker (post it up)
determine your use
determine your expectations of accuracy

Chances are the barrel will have a longer service life than the amount of rounds the avg shooter puts down range.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Cold hammer forged chrome lined Milspec barrel "should" have a longer service life than a match grade not chrome lined stainless barrel. This is due to a couple reasons (durability of the chrome lining) but more so on the type of use and expectations each barrel has. A match grade barrel gets tossed by a high power shooter after a few thousand rounds or as soon as the groups open up to an intolerable level. Where a CHFCL barrel will get the piss pounded out of it by a defensive shooter for a LONG time as super accuracy is not a concern to them.

20k round torture tests have been done to each type of barrel (many times) and both types have had barrels last longer and some fell very short of the expected life cycle.

The most important thing is to find out who actually made the stainless barrel, the AR world is plagued with "re-branders" finding out who actually machined the part is more important than who's name is roll marked on it.

So find the real maker (post it up)
determine your use
determine your expectations of accuracy

Chances are the barrel will have a longer service life than the amount of rounds the avg shooter puts down range.
It's a DPMS barrel through Midway.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which one, chances are it is made by Wilson, and is a VERY good barrel.
Mark 12 Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO Heavy Contour 1 8 Twist 18 SS Black Pre-Ban

I'm not reconsidering the 18" decision based on availability.

I'd love to hear arguments for/against the 18 vs 16. I wanted to go 18" for a bit more accuracy over the 16".
I currently have a Spikes lower, and wanted to get a Spikes upper, and I was just told that the use of Spikes will negate the added accuracy of the extra 2". Thoughts?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Mark 12 Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO Heavy Contour 1 8 Twist 18 SS Black Pre-Ban

I'm not reconsidering the 18" decision based on availability.

I'd love to hear arguments for/against the 18 vs 16. I wanted to go 18" for a bit more accuracy over the 16".
I currently have a Spikes lower, and wanted to get a Spikes upper, and I was just told that the use of Spikes will negate the added accuracy of the extra 2". Thoughts?
That's the exact barrel Brad suggested I buy, so I did. You won't regret buying it.

I'm actually re-profiling mine today :)

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I just need it to become available. Expected availability is now 5/15. We'll see if that's actually true.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You most likely will not gain any accuracy, but you will gain some FPS this will allow for a slightly flatter trajectory and help buck the wind a bit better. Spikes receivers usually fit like crap, but if you have a set that is tight it will not hurt accuracy at all.

What will the primary use for this gun be?

If you want to take classes with it, I would suggest something a tick lighter and shorter. If you want to punch paper or build a 3 gun rifle you are headed in the right direction.

I would also recommend any of the following barrels very highly. These are also made from Wilson blanks though they are cut and chambered by White oak armory.

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 14.5

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 16

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR

It is very very unusual that all of the above are in stock right now.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You most likely will not gain any accuracy, but you will gain some FPS this will allow for a slightly flatter trajectory and help buck the wind a bit better. Spikes receivers usually fit like crap, but if you have a set that is tight it will not hurt accuracy at all.

What will the primary use for this gun be?

If you want to take classes with it, I would suggest something a tick lighter and shorter. If you want to punch paper or build a 3 gun rifle you are headed in the right direction.

I would also recommend any of the following barrels very highly. These are also made from Wilson blanks though they are cut and chambered by White oak armory.

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 14.5

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 16

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR

It is very very unusual that all of the above are in stock right now.
Define 3 gun rifle. I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I'd be willing to bet that's what I'm after. I'm mostly looking to punch paper with some occasional hunting for chucks, 'yotes, and maybe deer with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was going to suggest Rainier arms barrels also. Sub moa guarantee for under 300 can't be beat. I plan on getting their 14.5 when funds allow.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Camper (Jeff). Listen to these guys in this thread; they know what they are talking about.

This is Steve from Heat Transfer BTW. ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Define 3 gun rifle. I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I'd be willing to bet that's what I'm after. I'm mostly looking to punch paper with some occasional hunting for chucks, 'yotes, and maybe deer with it.
3 gun is a version of competitive shooting where one runs a course of fire with up to 3 guns.

The style rifles used in this are light, accurate, soft shooting and fast.

The DPMS barrel you found on Midway will work for you, the rainier 18" will do it a bit better. :)
As it will be lighter and a bit more accurate due to who did the barrel work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts