New York Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
"I own an AR-15! When I was an Electrician Apprentice about ten years ago, I bought a Pre-Sunset Ban..."

Now you say its your fathers? which is it...

This comes across as a troll. If you are LEO and privileged my apologies LOL
I was thinking this too.. How is this thread not shut down? A semi-auto with removable mag, bayo lug and not permanently removed threads... Seems like un unregistered AW to me. So who's making $500 here?

ETA: I just got a Wilson Combat LPK. They do not come with FCG or grip, $60, unbeatable quality.

Lower Receiver Small Parts Kit | AR-Style-Wilson Combat

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yikes dude. When I moved ti queens, I couldn't take it with me... so I left it with pops. My goodness you guys are getting twitchy.

Lol first time I have ever been considered a troll in here.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I didn't realize things have gotten so bad. After work, I am going straight to my folks house and removing the barrel. Time to put my hack saw to work.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I didn't realize things have gotten so bad. After work, I am going straight to my folks house and removing the barrel. Time to put my hack saw to work.
Yeah dude its not just the pistol grips... Your bayo lug is an evil feature, and your threaded barrel is too (until the thread protector is welded or a muzzle brake is welded on) If you have a semi-auto rifle with detachable mags, and even ONE feature, You have an "assault weapon" and I wouldn't post squat about it. A lot of people resolve this by fixing the magazine in place and there are a few ways to accomplish that. Legality wise, it depends on who you ask, and then you are basically stuck top loading your AR. ****ty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah dude its not just the pistol grips... Your bayo lug is an evil feature, and your threaded barrel is too (until the thread protector is welded or a muzzle brake is welded on) If you have a semi-auto rifle with detachable mags, and even ONE feature, You have an "assault weapon" and I wouldn't post squat about it. A lot of people resolve this by fixing the magazine in place and there are a few ways to accomplish that. Legality wise, it depends on who you ask, and then you are basically stuck top loading your AR. ****ty.
Indeed. Ill just lob the lug off for now. And take the upper to my local gun store for a weld. The last few posts officially scared me.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Its bad.. There was a time we were able to mail each other ARs.. Now we cant even talk about owning them.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Before I moved I never shot my AR as I felt like some kind of pariah even though it was "compliant" (if there actually is such a thing). So I spent the money to make it compliant and still was afraid to take it out to the range. I know people who do take their AR's out in NYS and have not had a problem... But there's always that thought in the back of your head.... FUAC!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay, so I pulled my barrel off the upper and filed the Bayo Lug just enough so the bayonet no longer holds. Is that enough? Or do I actually have to lob it off entirely?

Also I just ordered this sweet muzzle device to pin and weld: KA-1222A. It shows a width of .740... will I be able to slide a gas block OVER this muzzle brake?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It says it's a flash suppressor so I would say it's a no go. The gas block should fit over it but might not make it over the crush washer. Filling the wings off the lug is enough.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have no intention of selling it, guys. Just the opposite. Give me opinions on what to do with it! For instance; who has used a Bushnell AR 223 1-4 ppwer illuminated scope? I am almost settled on it. Opinions?

And... should I just take a hack saw to the bayonet lug? Or is there a gas block that use the standard A2 pins?
BATTLE TESTED EQUIPMENT · parts
these will cover the std mount slots.

·
Registered
574 Posts
as for scopes everybody has their favorite.one of mine is this

Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone 223 BDC Reticle Riflescope with Target Turrets and Side Parallax, 4.5-18x 40mm

order up the flip up magpul mbus front and rear sight and a riser block for the scope. one that is hollow at the base so you can use the sights by looking through the mount.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, I sold my whole upper... I found a guy who wanted to build a competition gun on his newly finished 80% polymer lower. I sold it for 400 bucks, turned around and ordered a BCM complete 16" upper.

Question guys: If I use the Pre-Ban Lower... will I be allowed to use the Ka-1222A? Or that has nothing to do with it? Should I just return it and weld the end cap on?

Can I use a "Compensator?" Or is it; end cap only at this point? The more I surf the web looking for answers the more confused I get.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
longshot...

NY is extremely anti freedom, i mean anti gun...

there is no such thing as preban anymore. the UNsafe act banned features.

if you have a fixed magazine (you can remove the mag release and replace it with a T-nut to make the gun a top loader) then you can have a pistol grip, collapsible stock, bayo lug, and muzzle device.

or, if your magazine is detachable, you cannot have any of those things... iirc, even a forward mounted hand grip is now illegal, so you cant install one of those on the rail system either....

and its sad, and unfortunate that everyone is so paranoid. this forum is monitored by the NYPD, and NYSP, along with many media outlets just looking for a story to run. openly admitting that you own something now illegal, and are aware it is now illegal is asking for trouble.

you wont find too much talk about the ar15 on this forum anymore, sadly.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Step 1) read The SAFE Act. Please. Read it... Here, here is a chunk of it discussing "Assault Weapons" provisions:

22. "Assault weapon" means
(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine
and has at least one of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a thumbhole stock;
(iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(v) a bayonet mount;
(vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded
barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or
muzzle compensator;

(vii) a grenade launcher; or
(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least one of the following
characteristics:
(ii) a thumbhole stock;
(iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds;
(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
(ii) a thumbhole stock;
(iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(iv) capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the
pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(v) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(vi) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm
with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(vii) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
unloaded; or
(viii) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or
firearm;
(d) a revolving cylinder shotgun;
(e) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic
pistol or weapon defined in subparagraph (v) of paragraph (e) of
subdivision twenty-two of section 265.00 of this chapter as added by
chapter one hundred eighty-nine of the laws of two thousand and
otherwise lawfully possessed pursuant to such chapter of the laws of two
thousand prior to September fourteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four;
(f) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic
pistol or weapon defined in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of this
subdivision, possessed prior to the date of enactment of the chapter of
the laws of two thousand thirteen which added this paragraph;
(g) provided, however, that such term does not include:
(i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by
bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently
inoperable; or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C.
921(a)(16);
(ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine
that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;
(iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds
of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; or
(iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof,
specified in Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. 922 as such weapon was manufactured
on October first, nineteen hundred ninety-three. The mere fact that a
weapon is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to mean that
such weapon is an assault weapon;
(v) any weapon validly registered pursuant to subdivision sixteen-a of
section 400.00 of this chapter. Such weapons shall be subject to the
provisions of paragraph (h) of this subdivision;
(vi) any firearm, rifle, or shotgun that was manufactured at least
fifty years prior to the current date, but not including replicas
thereof that is validly registered pursuant to subdivision sixteen-a of
section 400.00 of this chapter;
(h) Any weapon defined in paragraph (e) or (f) of this subdivision and
any large capacity ammunition feeding device that was legally possessed
by an individual prior to the enactment of the chapter of the laws of
two thousand thirteen which added this paragraph, may only be sold to,
exchanged with or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such
weapons or to an individual or entity outside of the state provided that
any such transfer to an individual or entity outside of the state must
be reported to the entity wherein the weapon is registered within
seventy-two hours of such transfer. An individual who transfers any such
weapon or large capacity ammunition device to an individual inside New
York state or without complying with the provisions of this paragraph
shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor unless such large capacity
ammunition feeding device, the possession of which is made illegal by
the chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen which added this
paragraph, is transferred within one year of the effective date of the
chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen which added this paragraph.
Step 2: the term "Pre-Ban" no longer exists in NY. It doesn't matter when the lower was manufactured... There are no longer any benefits to having a pre '94 receiver.

All the answers you seek are in the text of the law, subject to interpretation by pretty much any/everyone. You can call the SAFE act help line, if you really enjoy wasting your time. They will give you an answer but it will probably only lead to more questions.

Even if you weld the thread protector on, you still have to do something about your pistol grip and/or collapsible stock. Semi auto rifle, with detachable mags and ONE "evil" feature, is illegal. Pre-ban or not.

ETA: Seven round limit is thrown out http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/i...safe-act,-rejects-7-round-magazine-limit.aspx

Also Muzzle "Breaks" were thrown out because there is no such thing, and Andy is fumb duck.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Additionally, if you have any of those nasty baby killing "pre-ban" 30 round mags, they are a felony each IIRC. If you need to sell them to someone out of state on the cheap, shoot me a PM. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Loud and clear guys.

There are no words of dissatisfaction strong enough to describe my feelings about the "SAFE" act. Thanks for looking out, guys.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
now that this bs is out of the way, you should start participating more on the forum that way you dont have to play catchup... we have been eating, living and breathing this bs since 1/15/13... nearly 2 freaking years already!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
And don't let it discourage you from being proud of your rifle or engaging in AR15 related discussions... Just get it legal first!!!! Too bad its not mexican, the president would have just granted your rifle amnesty!!! ba-dum tisssssss

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
And don't let it discourage you from being proud of your rifle or engaging in AR15 related discussions... Just get it legal first!!!! Too bad its not mexican, the president would have just granted your rifle amnesty!!! ba-dum tisssssss
that is a good point jayk... my post probably came off as a message to not bother discussing it, which it certainly wasnt intended to... frankly, id love to see more discussion on guns in general on the forum.

we need more topics on all kinds of guns to stop focusing so much on the bs corruption, etc...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I sold my whole upper... I found a guy who wanted to build a competition gun on his newly finished 80% polymer lower. I sold it for 400 bucks, turned around and ordered a BCM complete 16" upper.

Question guys: If I use the Pre-Ban Lower... will I be allowed to use the Ka-1222A? Or that has nothing to do with it? Should I just return it and weld the end cap on?

Can I use a "Compensator?" Or is it; end cap only at this point? The more I surf the web looking for answers the more confused I get.
Can't go wrong there. DId you get a kmr upper? Hard to beat elw kmr uppers imo. All slim and light I'm starting to get movement thinking about it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts