New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

It has been a long while since I have posted here, I miss you guys. I was so happy when I received my NYC pistol permit within three short months of filing... I just started shooting... and shooting... and sort of forgot about good ol' New York Firearms. I have been playing with my CZ-75b "Omega" for a few months, now. My, I love that pistol. Like all good things though, the luster started to wane a bit. I had some fun with a "new" Mosin M44 I picked up... great boom stick. But my soul was yearning for something else.

One day, I was at calverton with my Mosin... shooting fireballs a-plenty. I made a new friend in the shooter to my left. Nice guy... among a few mosins of his own, a clean SKS and a sweet, sweet Mossberg pump action he had a FRS-15. It was a nice build; lots of bells and whistles. His carbine was smooth as hell, accurate, easy to shoot and quite the looker (minus the ugly growth on it's ass). I always had adverse feelings regarding the Thordson stock. It wasn't until I had the chance to hold but more importantly; SHOOT one that I changed my opinion of it... a bit anyway.

Then I remembered. I own an AR-15! When I was an Electrician Apprentice about ten years ago, I bought a Pre-Sunset Ban (I called bushmaster at the time to verify it was pre-ban... and it was by 2 months!) Bushmaster XM15-E2S HBAR (circa 1994) from a Journeyman. It was nice and clean, it looked like it was used very little. Of course, at the time I knew next to nothing about the AR platform... or any firearms really.

XM15-E2S.jpg
Just a stock photo of the Bushy.

Back then, I took it out to the woods a few times... shot at junk I found, did lots of Mag dumps and just enjoyed it. My folks sold the upstate house, so I packed the old Government up and stuffed it in a closet at my parents house... And there it stayed for years. When I first learned about the SAFE act I "forgot" about the rifle, hoping the act would be overturned. Since Mr. Cuomo seems to be sticking around for a while; I started installing the essential "upgrades" to make it compliant.

Meet my Frankenstein AR-15:
Frankenstein XM.jpg
with a .50 cal round for scale...

Notice the Strange two- tone look of my baby? Well, I wanted a flat top upper receiver... so, I ordered a stripped Bushmaster upper during Brownell's Black rifle sale. I didn't realize; since my rifle was manufactured, the most common factory finish shifted from old school blueing to the current Jet-Black Anodized finish. So, the rifle looks like it has a personality disorder. Can't have that. I ordered a Bushmaster Stripped Lower about two weeks ago during the tail end of the same sale ($50!). Okay, since writing this all out like a narrative is getting tedious and my pork chops are almost done; I am just going to listed the changes I made.

1. Thordson Stock

2. Thordson M4 buffer tube kit

3. Thordson Slotted Barrel End Cap

4. Magpul Rear Back-up Sight

5. Magpul Rifle Length Handguard (not shown)

6. Magpul 10 round Pmags

The Optic is a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot "T" Sight. I bought that thing a LOOONG time ago... and plan on replacing it with one of THESE. Does anyone here have experience with the Bushnell AR Optics FFP Illuminated BTR-1 BDC Reticle AR-223 Riflescope? I like the looks of it... it got very positive reviews and it is illuminated... all things I am looking for in a AR scope.

Another idea I have been toying with is... 45 degree offset iron sights... they seem cheap and effective as quick backups... though, I need to find a railed gas block. Does anyone know of a railed gas block that uses the taper pins from the A2 Front sight? I don't like the idea of using set screws. The Gas block would also solve the Bayonet lug problems... I can't find a A2 sight WITHOUT a lug that uses the taper pins (they are all clamp-ons)... Gas Block or A2 Sight... I want to use those pins... the barrel already has the holes for them, so why not add the extra rigidity?

Speaking of the Bayonet lug... do I have to cut it OFF... or can I just trim enough of it to make inoperable? I have seen examples of the lug after it was neutered... it just looks shotty (no pun intended?). Also... since I will be getting a new Lower receiver... Should I take the time to pull the trigger group and the rest of the internals out of the original lower and transfer them to the new one (like I did with the upper) or would it pay to just buy a kit? perhaps there is a reasonably priced trigger upgrade?

I know this thread was a bit lengthy... if you made it this far, thank you for bearing with me and reading it all. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
longshot

P.S.

My pork chops were ****ing awesome.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You could actually make a killing selling the who preban setup in Connecticut as due to how their laws are written pre sept 1994 ar's are mostly along with some some other stuff the only "Assault" weapons they can have. You'd make enough maybe to afford yourself a real high end setup, but if you like it. Keep it. You're in a better position than I am in the uk. Say have you replaced the barrel or put a welding thread protector on the end?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You could actually make a killing selling the who preban setup in Connecticut as due to how their laws are written pre sept 1994 ar's are mostly along with some some other stuff the only "Assault" weapons they can have. You'd make enough maybe to afford yourself a real high end setup, but if you like it. Keep it. You're in a better position than I am in the uk. Say have you replaced the barrel or put a welding thread protector on the end?
No.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I put a end barrel cap on the threads. Looks closely, you can see yhe slotted design. I have yet to weld it in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
All ergonomical and functional features are a go for a pre ban in CT. Please don't jump on the band wagon against people in the same fight. People in CT are not buying pre bans as much as you would like to think, or in a rush to get one. Don't take the low road and feel free to take advantage of others charging from 3 to 7 thousand dollars for a preban. CT firearm owners are not that stupid to pay out crazy insane high cash on a preban rifle as you think. You may find one or two newbies or fuds, just it will take a long time. If you do decide to sell it be the better person and sell it for what its worth.
Best advice - Keep it and have fun with it! Its a nice rifle. The next round of illegal and un Constitutional laws (yes they will come) will be much worse than what was illegally passed this time. Who knows what just I would keep it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no intention of selling it, guys. Just the opposite. Give me opinions on what to do with it! For instance; who has used a Bushnell AR 223 1-4 ppwer illuminated scope? I am almost settled on it. Opinions?

And... should I just take a hack saw to the bayonet lug? Or is there a gas block that use the standard A2 pins?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Also you should spend some more on a scope. On my VZ58 I have a 1-5-5x20 VX3 Leupold, you are on the right track for low power optics, but get some good glass mate.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I got a little bit carried away, its how you get since I was born in the uk we saw some really bad acts and I always think of ways to preserve firearms as they are. I have seen some "unused" or barely used" AR's going for in some cases $3000 on armslist, even that much for a polytech ak in CT. Its as bad as ticket touts for concerts (one could argue with the price at box office that they are ticket touts, I remember a price for basic seats to see the rolling stones in Sheffield in England, it was a screw that moment). But it is wrong to make that much out of people's situations, as you could be the same. I admit I said the wrong thing.
I guess the other idea would be the flood CT with as much pre 1994 to sell cheaply to be the good Samaritan of gun sales maybe. Anyway from this side of the pond, keep up the good fight. And above all enjoy your shooting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually have a new V-match Bushmaster lower receiver on the way (Brownell's Black Rifle Sale). Since the rifle is going to be featureless anyway... meaning I have a Pre 94' Lower to hang on to... or possibly sell to someone who can make uae of it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
is this AR in NYC? I would change your location on here if so lol

Preban doesnt mean much unless you register right?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
cut the lug off.

new gas block pins will not fit another gas block pin holes correctly (unless you are phenomenally lucky).

i have never used the scope you are looking at but i have a bushnell 1-6.5x24 ffp with the BRT-2 reticle. i prefer this reticle. i love mine.

buy another lpk. they are cheap. you can find them without the trigger and hammer. good aftermarket triggers are $185+ i really like my hyperfire. stay away from the dpms two stage.....they break regularly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is this AR in NYC? I would change your location on here if so lol

Preban doesnt mean much unless you register right?
The rifle is on Long Island. It is technically my father's rifle. Once I move away from NYC, I can start sleeping next to it again :p

·
Registered
505 Posts
I put a end barrel cap on the threads. Looks closely, you can see yhe slotted design. I have yet to weld it in place.
That is what we in the uk would call triggers broom.
. Although to be fair you have the original barrel and guts. Send the Preban receiver to a CT resident if you can. Sell it for what its worth and that CT gunowner can make a Preban AR for themselves. Or hang on and keep it, you never know, never say never. You might be in a position to use as it is intended again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
And buy what its worth, I mean no silly prices. As another poster effectively said lets not become gun touts (the gun selling brother of ticket touts).

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The rifle is on Long Island. It is technically my father's rifle. Once I move away from NYC, I can start sleeping next to it again :p
do what you want but I wouldn't even mention owning an AR unless its registered or 100% neutered... This site is open to the world lol As per safe act your father cannot give it to anyone in NYS or will it to anyone. FUAC!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
"I own an AR-15! When I was an Electrician Apprentice about ten years ago, I bought a Pre-Sunset Ban..."

Now you say its your fathers? which is it...

This comes across as a troll. If you are LEO and privileged my apologies LOL

1 - 20 of 50 Posts