New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took about 1 hr 15 min to get there from the Charlotte area. That place is HUGE. I think we spent about 2 hours looking around in there and could have spent longer.

I'll probably be taking another trip there when spring gets closer for some new fishing waders.

Anyway, prices were pretty good. On par with ordering from Cabelas or Midway for the things I looked at. Rifles were decent prices from what I saw. A Remington 700 SPS varmint was something like $529. There are tons of staff walking around. They don't bother you but if you need something you don't have to look far to find an employee. The fishing department was enormous. Rifle ammo was priced about the same as everywhere else. $13 for a 20 rd. box of remington UMC .223. I picked up a couple of boxes of 3 1/2" 12ga turkey shells for the same price that midway sells them.

It's worth the trip out there if you have a day to kill and just want to look around at stuff. It's not far from the Waterloo outlet mall either so you can stop at both.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I stop there just about every week on the way back from the 'Cuse. I don't do much buying but its a decent place to browse and they're ok with my hunting dog coming in.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your hunting chihuahua?

Hey, do you ever go to the Sports Authority in syracuse? I was going to stop there the next time I'm in Syracuse for work to look at hunting boots. It it worth stopping in? They had some stuff on their website that I thought I might want to try on and prices seemed decent. I already checked dicks and gander with no luck.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
darkvibe said:
Your hunting chihuahua?

Hey, do you ever go to the Sports Authority in syracuse? I was going to stop there the next time I'm in Syracuse for work to look at hunting boots. It it worth stopping in? They had some stuff on their website that I thought I might want to try on and prices seemed decent. I already checked dicks and gander with no luck.
Yea he's my bird dog. I've been to 2 of the sports authoritys and haven't really found them to be that big of a deal. I think Dick's is much better if you're looking for boots, etc.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I really wish they'd open one over on this side of the state, so at least Gander Mtn would have SOME competition.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you ever travel down in to PA, checkout the Cabela's in Hamburg. There is also a nice one Weeling WV. The best is in Sidney NE, but thats a little far to drive on a whim. I have been to six of their retail stores so far, they were all nice, except for maine sucked.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did manage to find a camo lightweight micro fleece jacket on the clearance rack at bass pro for $20. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I was just in Aurora today dropping off my cousin at college, right by Auburn... I would have stopped if I knew they had a Bass Pro there.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. From my direction I get off the thruway at exit 41 to get there and it's just a little bit east of there.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. All kinds of fish in it.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
darkvibe,

How competitive would you say their prices on handguns were? Somebody suggested that I might consider taking a drive out there if I don't have any luck finding what I want locally. Think it would be worth the trip for me? Looks like it's about two hours or so for me.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't really look at handguns much. There were a lot of people at the counter looking at stuff and I was just browsing. I did look at the Ruger .22 pistols but I can't remember the prices. I know one was $275 but I have no idea which model it was.

I'd say even if you find the prices aren't that competitive it would still be worth a trip if you've never been there and want to look around.

Maybe you could PM Rich and see if he can look in the gun counter for you. He said he stops there a lot.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
darkvibe said:
I didn't really look at handguns much. There were a lot of people at the counter looking at stuff and I was just browsing. I did look at the Ruger .22 pistols but I can't remember the prices. I know one was $275 but I have no idea which model it was.

I'd say even if you find the prices aren't that competitive it would still be worth a trip if you've never been there and want to look around.

Maybe you could PM Rich and see if he can look in the gun counter for you. He said he stops there a lot.
I don't think the prices are really that competitive at all but I could 'probably' stop there tomorrow for you if needed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rich said:
I don't think the prices are really that competitive at all but I could 'probably' stop there tomorrow for you if needed.
Sounds like he's really twisting your arm. ;D

I need to make it out to Herb Philipson's again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts