New York Firearms Forum banner

I don't understand this buy back program ...

3K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  zeroskin 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Who in their right mind turns over legally owned guns???? They can make SO MUCH MORE selling them to people who can use them (legally of course) and they wouldn't be mindlessly destroyed.

#8 ·
Great, now criminals are going to try to break into my house and steal my guns so they can sell them for $50 of crap at walmart. I wish they would follow up with how many get reported stolen next week.

Avert crime my arse... No killer is going to surrender his gun for this program. He can make $50 in 5min shoving it in someone's face for their wallet.

#11 ·
Now, I can't prove this. The serial numbered part is the firearm. The rest of the firearm can be stripped of all it's parts and then those parts can be sold. The serial numbered part gets destroyed. I know at least one person who has purchased one of the aforementioned parts. Again, I can't prove it but I do believe it to be true in some areas.

#13 ·
I went to the buy back program last year in Kingston. The owner of Ruger's Custom Guns was there. He got all the legal firearms (aka all of them since he deals to leo as well, so can have everything except class 3 stuff) and all the illegal stuff ggot shipped upstate to be destroyed.

#14 ·
That makes more sense and I understand getting rid of firearms that have a body count on them, glad they aren't all just crushed up and melted down.

#18 ·
Most of the weapons turned in at these things fall into three categories:
A: Old, broken, useless guns that can't be sold for crap.
B: Weapons that were left over from someone who died, or left them behind during a break up.
C: Weapons that the owner wants to wash their hands of because of less than legal uses.

In Cat. A, we have the single barrel break action, rusted to hell and back shotgun second from the left. No one could get $50 for the hunk of crap sitting there. The other break barrel doesn't look to be in much better shape.

In Cat. B, we have the decent looking .22, and the scoped bolt action rifles. I would also guess this category includes some of the older pistols, and the Derringer (though that could fall into Cat. C, but I doubt it). None of those weapons are recent manufacture, so I'm guessing those are left over from before NY demanded a permit to own a pistol. Sadly, this is how some very, very nice firearms end up at trade ins, people just don't know what they are giving away :(

In Cat. C, we have what looks like a .380 semi-auto pistol, and maybe some of the revolvers. It's a nice, fast way to dispose of a weapon that has been used in a crime. "Here, if you take this in there, they will give you $50 on a card. You give me $10 cash, and you can keep the card." Gun, and prints along with any ballistics disappears forever, and you never have to worry about the Police stumbling across it, and some how tracing it back to you.

All in all, they got a little "feel good" BS traded for some weapons that would most likely never be used in a crime. What I want to know is how were they confirming the weapons worked? Were they test firing them? Or was it "Yup, parts seem to all be here, take a card"......

As for how these programs work? They don't work for anything but PR for the Police and Politicians to say "See, we are doing something about it!"

#24 ·
Most of the weapons turned in at these things fall into three categories:
A: Old, broken, useless guns that can't be sold for crap.
B: Weapons that were left over from someone who died, or left them behind during a break up.
C: Weapons that the owner wants to wash their hands of because of less than legal uses.
Bingo. After seeing the studies of the buyback programs done here in Rochester, this is what was determined. No one turns in guns that they're actually using. They're all guns that someone wants/needs to get rid of for one reason or another. A lot of times they'll see old war guns that won't even fire (at least they did in Rochester).

#22 ·
It isn't really a load of crap a gun in the hands of a drug dealer or something is dangerous but I don't see too much how this is helping, most of the guns being turned in aren't from the local drug dealer, it's usually from someone who was nervous about having it to begin with (if it was illegal) and not likely to ever take it out, let alone use it in a crime.

#26 ·
This is just more proof that Troy's politicians are ignorant of what is effective. Back about 5 years ago when they noticed a lot of crime by a certain store around the 3AM time, they forced the store to close during the "bad hours". Of course, that corner was safer, the crime moved.

#30 ·
It shoots just fine, the group is the size of a mini van though.

I sawed off the most bent part (still bent before 16 1/4" though) and just tapped a screw in the front for a sight, then put the stock back together with a hose clamp.

It looks like something directly out of Fallout 3 and is just taking up space in my cabinet, the wife still counts it as a gun for some reason and I am only allowed to have 10 at a time.

#34 ·
Just send them to the island of misfit guns. Its 1 mile south of the island of misfit toys! Jeez. whatya ya'll stoopid. Or Im surprise that in NY we dont pay taxpayers money to Re habilitate them like our many criminals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.