New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I don't think it's legal you mail that"- Modena, NY Post Office re: Magazine

So a member and I worked a deal swapping magazines (G19 mag of mine for a G23 mag of his) and we just both mailed them today.

So I go into the Modena, NY post office since its literally 1.5 miles from me and grab a padded envelope and stuff the mag in it and fill out the label.

I walk up to pay and the guy at the counter (late 40's early 50's) asks me what I'm mailing and I said a magazine. Could of said none of your damn business but I was curious to see where this was gonna go and am always looking to drive our rights home. He said to me "I don't think it's legal you mail that." I said to him that it was unloaded, it's not a firearm and that its only plastic and a spring. He busts out the Post Office bible and started looking things up in it. LoL.

As he was looking through it I said your not gonna find anything in there about firearm parts because it's perfectly legal. He kept looking. I started laughing and as another customer walked in he just looked at me, I tossed the mag back in the envelope, sealed it and handed it to him. He said "It's probably fine; you want to insure this right?" I said no its worth like $10-$15 tops. He looked shocked meaning he had no idea what he was looking at. He put a tracking sticker on the package even though I said I didn't want it tracked and put it off to the side, I paid my $2.52 and out the door I went.

Just in case any of you are wondering, it is perfectly legal to mail a 10 round magazine. I am not an attorney, I am a flesh and blood American that knows common sense.

USPS, train your people as to what a firearm is and that I am not the enemy. I just kept flashing back to one of my favorite movies, Se7en when Brad Pitt is asking "What's in the box..... Whaaaats in the box?!??!"

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Of course it is legal.. You can buy them online and they are often shipped USPS...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was floored. I'd like to mail. 10 Round Socom magazine and see what they wanna say.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The moment he said "think", I would have suggested he get his supervisor! Done!

Then I would've taken my knife out of my pocket and asked if it was legal to mail that also?

Morons... (USPS)

and a lesson to ya', if you aren't required to declare what's inside, then don't!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
In things the free market can do better than the government, out of FedEx, UPS, and USPS, I've had exponentially more problems with USPS.

·
Registered
832 Posts
it took 3 weeks to mail something from my the Bronx to my house, with a tracking number and the post office still could not find it and didn't even seem concerned . when I called to complain about it the postal employee said not to worry about if for another 2 weeks??? really???

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well honestly I have had excellent luck with the USPS, not to sound sexist but almost without exception it is the female workers behind the counter that offer the most grief.

About eight years ago I had to unload a pallet of Mg34 parts kits, you ship that many 25 pound packages and try to explain-when asked that they are legally de-milled machine guns, sometimes there is shock, but mostly the response was "neat."

Furthermore the ONLY reason why the USPS is "losing" money is because they have had to frontload their pension obligations in an unfair way that no Fortune 500 company ever has, it was my party (the GOP) being dickish trying to break the back of the USPS to dish business back to the private sector lobbyist for FedEx, UPS, etc... that bribe/lobby them in the Congress, it ALWAYS goes back to money-the root of all evil.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The moment he said "think", I would have suggested he get his supervisor! Done!

Then I would've taken my knife out of my pocket and asked if it was legal to mail that also?

Morons... (USPS)

and a lesson to ya', if you aren't required to declare what's inside, then don't!
Yea man usually I don't declare but like I stated in my OP that it was sheer morbid curiosity and gave me a soap box to educate the potentially uneducated. Just goes to show how disconnected they are.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
"Furthermore the ONLY reason why the USPS is "losing" moneyis becausetheyhavehad tofrontload their pension obligations in an unfair way that no Fortune 500 company ever has, it was my party (the GOP) being dickish trying to break the back of the USPS to dish business back to the private sector lobbyist for FedEx, UPS, etc... that bribe/lobby them in the Congress,itALWAYS goes back to money-the root of all evil"

This is correct. But in my case USPS delivering most of my **** has caused me nothing but grief.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can ship from home and it's cheaper to buy the stamp online. No reason to go to the PO.
I would have if I had the padded envelope that started this whole quest lol

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sigh I live near there too.....we should go have a beer and commiserate on the stupidity of this state.....
Anytime my man. I'm off 32 towards NP by Jenkinstown Rd. New Paltz post office is just as much of a bang head on counter spot.

·
Registered
756 Posts
a postal clerk does not have the right to ask whats in your package,the ONLY thing they do have the right to ask is "is there anything liquid fragle or potintialy a hazzard" thats it. When i am asked whats in the package by a postal clerk i just outright lie to them because he had no right to invade my privacy and when shipping things via private sector like ups or fedex they DO have a right to ask whats in it and i still lie to them because i just do not feel comfortable telling them its anything gun related. When shipping AMMO it is illegal to not disclose that fact when shipping it then i say "construction nail gun charges" which is 100% the same as saying "ammunition" . Everything i own and ship is 100% legal but what does a liberal/democrap know? So i opt out of sharing info with them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ha ha ha. Too bad.

My local PO is staffed by women. They are great! All the PO i deal with treat me very very well.

One is my shooting partner. The rural carrier (a woman) is another of my shooting buddies. Etx etc.

all good for me. I use 6-9 different PO. All good.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a postal clerk does not have the right to as whats in your package,the ONLY thing they do have the right to ask is "is there anything liquid fragle or potintialy a hazzard" thats it. When i am asked whats in the package by a postal clerk i just outright lie to them, when shipping things via private sector like ups or fedex they have a right to ask whats in it and i still lie its non of thier business. When shipping AMMO it is illegal to not disclose that fact when shipping it then i say "construction nail gun charges" which is 100% the same as saying "ammunition" .
Agree.... Like stated above I want to play and educate.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha ha ha. Too bad.

My local PO is staffed by women. They are great! All the PO i deal with treat me very very well.

One is my shooting partner. The rural carrier (a woman) is another of my shooting buddies. Etx etc.

all good for me. I use 6-9 different PO. All good.
Well on this side of the wallkill, we don't have that luxury lol. That 300BLK barrel I got from you is awesome. Seriously awesome.... Just wish I had some more brass that someone was gonna hook me up with..... Hmmm.... Maybe mail it via one of your post office Hussys. LoL

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
So here is a question along the same line.. If I live in NY lets say, and have a legal address for a 2nd home in either another state or another location in NY, can I mail a gun to myself via USPS?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Well on this side of the wallkill, we don't have that luxury lol. That 300BLK barrel I got from you is awesome. Seriously awesome.... Just wish I had some more brass that someone was gonna hook me up with..... Hmmm.... Maybe mail it via one of your post office Hussys. LoL
I will send the brass to modena. Pick it up there. I will send it in a clear bag. Lol!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.