New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i'm putting this in to words right, so let me give the scenario, and then y'all can respond.

You can assume:

The pistol is 9mm
The bullet is a standard 114gr FMJ (plinking ammo)
There is no wind to rare light breeze & otherwise sunny day
There are no obstacles
the pistol is 100% parallel to the ground (and for the assumption, at no point will the ground change level)

How far will the bullet travel once leaving the gun? I understand what FPS means, but when does gravity kick in? I have to assume that, at some point the bullet will start to fall to the ground, losing speed, etc

Follow up question, what would be the lethal distance of a 9mm bullet, again, assuming the above

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Sorry to be a stickler but for the follow up question we would need to know height of target and height the pistol is starting at since if the target were a person the lethality drops significantly once the round is below center mass of the vital organs.
I think this might be the formula your looks for Trajectories

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
It ought to be something like this abridged table, but I used a Hornady 115gr FMJ at 1300 fps from a 4.6" barrel, zeroed at 50 yards. Anything else is going to make a minor difference.
Untitled-1.jpg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Crap I am too slow...lol

I calculated as zero'd at barrel with 1150 fps

Attachments

G

·
A bullet dropped or fired horizontally from 5-feet high will take 0.55-seconds to hit the ground.

Fired at 1,000-fps the bullet will strike the ground 190-yards away.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Gravity affects a bullet as soon as it exits the barrel.
A bullet dropped and one fired (from a level barrel) will hit the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
190 yds is a good approximation in theory. The reality is it will be less than 190 yds, how much less depends on; air temperature, moisture content in the air, cross sectional area of the bullet and frictional forces between the air and the bullets compositional material.

G

·
190 yds is a good approximation in theory. The reality is it will be less than 190 yds, how much less depends on; air temperature, moisture content in the air, cross sectional area of the bullet and frictional forces between the air and the bullets compositional material.
Actually I ran the data through Sierra Infinity Ballistic software before answering. This takes into account the variables you mention.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
At such a distance those variables will be most negligible.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies... My concern was my backyard butts up to private property... A LOT of it, and word around the neighbor campfire is the guy a couple houses down owns it all, for riding ATVs, shooting & hunting... I was just curious to know how far a bullet would travel & lethality for those reasons... I figured broad assumptions are easier than specific details that wont' make much difference

·
Registered
687 Posts
First you must make sure you meet te distance requiremnts for discharge of fireame. Second and most important. If the backstop leave a question in your head about your bullet making it off your property and not KNOWING where it is going.....You shouldn't be shooting there. Any question at all should lead you to find somewhere else to shoot. or construct an appropriate baskstop. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Keep in mind, too, a FMJ pistol round isn't always going to stop as soon as it hits the ground. Quite often it's going to ricochet or bounce, and from there it can still travel for some distance. Even if it's not lethal, if a bullet falls in your neighbors yard or hits his property, you're asking for a boatload of trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts