New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL DISCUSSION

Something I've been mulling and stewing about. Lets pretend for a moment that the bill to ban all firearms has passed. All citizens are bound by law to surrender their firearms to their local police department for (gas, food coupons...whatever). You have 60 days to do so and then you will be violation of federal laws too numerous to list and will be spending LOTS of time in prison. They know who you are, where you live and what guns you own (yes, long guns too). Day one after the sixty days of amnesty they will be knocking on your door with handcuffs and a paddy wagon. Any long gun you claim to have ever sold must be accompanied with a receipt of some sort documenting the buyer and seller agreements. This is a Federal ban, so leaving NY state isnt an option to avoid them coming after your guns.

What is your course of action?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
This actually happened in parts of Europe and Australia already, right? From what I read and saw (from various videos), residents of those countries showed up by the masses and surrendered their firearms as the law instructed. Law-abiding citizens in the US would likely do the same (it may be unfortunate, but when faced with imprisonment what else can someone do other than try to flee the country?). Since we're talking about the US here, a large number of citizens would likely protest and not turn in anything voluntarily. Jails and holding centers would become overcrowded quite quickly. After the 60-day mark, the thugs on the street will still have their firearms and it will be open season for armed robberies, break-ins, assaults on the street, and home invasions.

Hypothetically, the ban is in place, can't do anything about it (protests and such have already occurred, etc.), what would I do?? Well, I guess I would pursue the selling option first, then pursue options to keep my firearms as antiques (render them unusable/unfire-able somehow). If that's not permitted by the ban, I suppose I'd have to turn in and surrender whatever couldn't be sold. Now, don't take that response as "I'm just a coward willing to bend over and be raped by firearms-hating communisits". We're talking hypothetical here, the ban is stamped in concrete, no if's, and's, or but's...you can damn well bet I would have protested and fought such a ban to the best of my finances and abilities.

If my wife and I were on bad terms during the hypothetical ban, I would be quite tempted to flee the country and take my firearms with me, because such a firearms ban would potentially mean we were being overrun by an oppressive government that had numerous ulterior motives against its citizens. No way my wife would stand with me as she has no interest in firearms whatsoever (other than she doesn't like them much).

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
We also have boating accidents. Who says you can't bury your firearms military surplus style in the middle of the desert? There are hundreds of things someone could do to "get around" a totalitarian firearms ban. I'm sure at least a few in Europe (and other countries that imposed bans) managed to hang onto their firearms, but they're rolling the dice if they're ever caught or found in the future (unless the ban is overturned in the future by a more reasonable gov't body).

"Prove it" is a great response...IF your gov't is reasonable and hasn't pulled your due process, "everyone gets a fair trial" rights. If we're run by a militaristic dictator, none of that BS will fly. A "prove it" response may end with you and your family being machete'd.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
By not voluntarily surrendering, you have forfeited your right to privacy and they are coming in looking...dogs, radar penetrating walls and floors, the works...
They can have em, bullets first! Being in the military for 20 years I would never have obeyed an order to disarm a citizen ( just because the government said so). There are more that think like me still in the military and even in law enforcement, to disarm a citizen makes them a slave/ subject. If ordered to disarm I would not, if forceably challenged I would resist until my death.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They can have em, bullets first! Being in the military for 20 years I would never have obeyed an order to disarm a citizen ( just because the government said so). There are more that think like me still in the military and even in law enforcement, to disarm a citizen makes them a slave/ subject. If ordered to disarm I would not, if forceably challenged I would resist until my death.
Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Thank you for your service.
thanks but it was my honor to serve.
I am 3rd generation military, my grandfathers fought in WWII, Korea, my dad in Vietnam Nam, I served in 3peacekeeping missions while I was in and served in Afghanistan last year as a Army Civilian. To give up any rights that were secured for me by my ancestors would be a discrace to their memories and a discredit to their service. I am not looking to become a mayrtr for the cause but I will never accept slavery while I have the ability to resist. Too many people have died for our right to disagree and even overthrow (legitimately) our government. As the old saying goes better to die on your feet than to live on your knees. There is another generation behind me that has to have their liberty secured until they can secure it themselves, it would be inconceivable for me to betray them by not resisting tyranny. Sorry for the long rant.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Better bring their A-game, 60 days is plenty of time summer or winter.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
thanks but it was my honor to serve.
I am 3rd generation military, my grandfathers fought in WWII, Korea, my dad in Vietnam Nam, I served in 3peacekeeping missions while I was in and served in Afghanistan last year as a Army Civilian. To give up any rights that were secured for me by my ancestors would be a discrace to their memories and a discredit to their service. I am not looking to become a mayrtr for the cause but I will never accept slavery while I have the ability to resist. Too many people have died for our right to disagree and even overthrow (legitimately) our government. As the old saying goes better to die on your feet than to live on your knees. There is another generation behind me that has to have their liberty secured until they can secure it themselves, it would be inconceivable for me to betray them by not resisting tyranny. Sorry for the long rant.
You aren't alone brother.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I would post the constitution on my front door, highlighting ALL of my rights as a US citizen, especially the ones in jeopardy, and beneath that would be a warning that anyone attempting to disarm me or anyone around me will result in a firefight which will not end until I die or thy leave me alone for good, and I sure am willing to die if my government ever turns this far onto its own citizens. Right before every genocide or mass extermination in history has been a mass disarming of the population.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
By not voluntarily surrendering, you have forfeited your right to privacy and they are coming in looking...dogs, radar penetrating walls and floors, the works...
I meant for not having receipts for a gun I sold. I would not have any guns in my possession if they were to look. That would be illegal.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
guns will not be necessary if that happens, a gun would be useless. there are other ways to protect yourself, there is some saying a tiger can kill an elephant, quick attacks and bleeding them out over time. if that starts to happen other things like genocide will be taking place next. The only reason to disarm the population would be to start working against the people and doing things like other horrible leaders have done. a few million people with guns cant stave off the military. other tactics would be better for the resistance. sad, but look at how the Vietnamese dealt with us. They are pretty much the masters of guerrilla tactics i hear.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Come and take them. This would be a clear violation of the Constitution, and I would kill to defend my God given rights from the evil bastards that would enforce this.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
guns will not be necessary if that happens, a gun would be useless. there are other ways to protect yourself, there is some saying a tiger can kill an elephant, quick attacks and bleeding them out over time. if that starts to happen other things like genocide will be taking place next. The only reason to disarm the population would be to start working against the people and doing things like other horrible leaders have done. a few million people with guns cant stave off the military. other tactics would be better for the resistance. sad, but look at how the Vietnamese dealt with us. They are pretty much the masters of guerrilla tactics i hear.
Fortunately for us, our military is made up of citizens, they aren't some highly paid separate social class who doesn't deal with the lower parts of society, they are all in and around us, the military ARE the people in this country, and that is the beauty of it, my guess would be, if it really ever did happen, it would be 5-10 thousand politicians, secret service men (ever notice the Secret Service abbreviated is SS? huh.) and SOME brainwashed soldiers up against 300 million super pissed off American citizens and true soldiers of our constitution, good luck with those odds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts