New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pojected path says it will be hitting NY harbor.... which as many of you know will not be a good thing. I'm slightly worried that a hurricane hitting NY harbor will potentially flood manhattan and cause some issues with the economy being that the stock market is all based out of that area along with one of the federal reserves. I mean I wouldn't have a problem if the building bloomberg was in got knocked down somehow in the storm but othewise I really don't want to see a SHTF situation because of a hurricane hitting the harbor. I know economists and scientists have talked about the potential effects of a hurricane hitting NY harbor and I know most were not good at all.

On a side note..... anyone want to sell me some level 3 plates for my vest? lol

Also a link to Popular Mechanics article about potential threats from a hurricane
http://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...s-when-a-super-storm-strikes-new-york-6323032

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Ehhhhh......You worry too much Sean.....Don't believe everything you read....:)

· Registered
4,955 Posts
It may still go safely out to sea and only bother the fishes. The weather models still don't have a great handle on this storm, so there are some big unknowns at this point. IF it does come on shore near NY/NJ, it's going to cause a lot of flooding, even in Western NY, where 4-5" of rain could fall.

· Registered
520 Posts
I've been through the direct path of a category 5 cyclone (effectively a hurricane that spins the opposite direction)!

It was NOT a 'Thing of Beauty' and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So even though this is a small cell I hope it goes out to see and die's quietly.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I am fully prepared for this storm unlike the last one that flooded Broome county. Because I am prepared it will go out to sea and do nothing.

· Registered
3,423 Posts
Got several msgs today - emergency management ( I assumed they meant fema) had contacted several businesses in Sidney NY including Community Bank ( where the individuals who passed this along work) to prepare for 15 inches of rain. Granted that can change in an instant but I thought it odd that they were contacted at all.
Hope every one has the crap they need if it hits ...

· Registered
8,342 Posts
One of the local police dept's (Vestal) is moving their HQ in preparation for the storm.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Here is what the HPC (Hydrometeorloglical Prediction Center - a division of National Weather Service that specializes in predicting rainfall amounts from storm systems, etc.) is forecasting in terms of rainfall. This is all based on an assumption that Sandy barrels into the East coast as expected...

15" of rain would be a bit excessive and none of the forecasts are calling for quite that much in NYS. It's not out of the question but unlikely at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.