New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to handguns and would like to buy a .44mag revolver for hunting deer, possibly bear, and shooting paper. A client of mine has a S&W Stealth Hunter 629 from their Performance Center and says thats the gun I should get. I love the way it looks and hope it feels good in the hand but am not sure its worth the price ($1300 on GunBroker).

I have also heard positive reviews of the Ruger Super Redhawk ($800+ on GB). I don't care for the shiny finish and overall look but I know looks comes second to performance.

Are their any other models should I consider? Opinions/comments appreciated!

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Before rifles were allowed in NY for hunting, my dad used to use his S&W 629. He has a bushnell holo sight on it. Very accurate and I like to shoot it. .44mag is a good caliber for deer.

Also... I have heard many good things about the Ruger Redhawk. Long barrel = good accuracy.

I will tell you this though, Rugers revovler are built like tanks. Very durable and thickened metal reinforcements where they should be. The S&W revovlers are great shooters, but they aren't built like Ruger revolvers.

· Registered
664 Posts
Check out the super blackhawk as evil said. I have been hunting with one for over 20 years. Single action keeps the focus on what your doing and control will be a big issue pulling the trigger on a double action when you get excited and the deer are moving. No problem if your disciplined and can keep focused, I was pretty young when I started handgun hunting and didn't trust myself. Now I just love the gun and feel no need for anything different. Though I wouldn't mind a S&W 500 some day just for the hell of it.
Mine is set up with a 1.5-4.5 nikon scope and makes easy work out to 75 yards. I've taken them well over 100 of a rest in the open but most are within 50 yards. I'm sighted in at an inch high at 50 yards pushing a 200 gr. JHP with H110.
That's my gun of choice while on stand unless I'm somewhere I can take longer rifle shots.

· Registered
687 Posts
if youare hunting and target as the primary use, are you set on a revolver? Given any thought to the T/C Encore?

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. I am pretty set on a revolver. I looked into the Super BlackHawk and even though I don't care for the style of it compared to the 629, it seems like its built well and for half the price its VERY tempting!! I will definitely keep the shots close-range until I feel comfortable shooting further. I'm going to doing some more comparison/research looking into the features of the SBH. The "Bisley" version of the SBH has my attention too.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I recently picked up a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel from a friend/co-worker. It seems to be a very popular pistol for hunting whitetails, hogs, and lots more. I don't think you'll regret buying it.

· Registered
664 Posts
if youare hunting and target as the primary use, are you set on a revolver? Given any thought to the T/C Encore?
Also a very good choice with many options. Only very small negative is no follow up shot for doubles. It's nice to have that second shot when that buck tries to sneak off after you drop his girlfriend. With a little practice you can reload the Thompson pretty fast.
I have a friend that has hunted with one all his life and loves it. I know he has tagged his share of doubles. I just picked up a Thompson Encore in .270. Love the way it shoots and I'm looking forward to taking out in the woods this year.
I guess they can be addicting if you fall in love with it, my buddy now has over 20 barrels for his. Actually think he has 4 or 5 frames now. His deer choice is a .444 Marlin.
Sorry guys getting off topic just rambling LOL. Whatever you go with, Handgun hunting is a lot of fun. I would recommend reloading after you get into it. Working up that perfect load for your gun is half the fun, Plus you will save a lot on ammo costs.

· Registered
172 Posts
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel that I hunt with. It has not had a problem putting down every deer I have shot at. I am not one for using a scope so I have just used the Iron sights. Great gun ..... cant go wrong with a Ruger iMO.

· Registered
7,787 Posts
I hunt in the Adirondacks, so I use my Marlin 30-30 and a S&W 629 classic as my back up. I LOVE my 44.

Where I hunt it's very wooded, Coyotes can sneak right up on you, the 44 is perfect for those quick, close up shots.

If you reload and you like to run your loads "hot", The manual has a "Ruger Only" load. Which should tell you the Ruger is a much more sturdy gun.

· Registered
687 Posts
Wood Machine Pipe Metal Telescope
Trigger Air gun Machine gun Telescope Optical instrument

Also a very good choice with many options. Only very small negative is no follow up shot for doubles. It's nice to have that second shot when that buck tries to sneak off after you drop his girlfriend. With a little practice you can reload the Thompson pretty fast.
I have a friend that has hunted with one all his life and loves it. I know he has tagged his share of doubles. I just picked up a Thompson Encore in .270. Love the way it shoots and I'm looking forward to taking out in the woods this year.
I guess they can be addicting if you fall in love with it, my buddy now has over 20 barrels for his. Actually think he has 4 or 5 frames now. His deer choice is a .444 Marlin.
Sorry guys getting off topic just rambling LOL. Whatever you go with, Handgun hunting is a lot of fun. I would recommend reloading after you get into it. Working up that perfect load for your gun is half the fun, Plus you will save a lot on ammo costs.
Once you get use to a break open that follow up is pretty quick. I started deer hunting with an old 12 gauge single. That is what Dad gave me for the first 4 seasons. this is my 308 and I am hand loading for it. on the bech it will do 5 shots covered with a quarter.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a Ruger Super BlackHawk Bisley Hunter. Time to get some ammo!

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Open sights for now. If I ever went the optics route I'd do a red dot sight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.