New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a semi rifle to hunt deer with in ny just looking for what is compliant and what evryone else uses thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have taken a doe with a mini-30. That being said I bought it because of its looks. At around 1k you could buy a quality, far more accurate, bolt action with decent optics for the same. If you are set on a NYS compliant semi ,for $300 more Browning makes some lovely rifles (BAR). Have never owned or fired one ... but they are pretty.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Why does it need to be semi? Is the deer rifle excuse for the wife?

most deer hunters use tactical sniper bolt action rifles

·
Registered
342 Posts
A compliant AR10 (think AR MR2, or Thordsen stock) are excellent deer guns. .308 is a great caliber and the AR10 with that AR MR2 and buffer system makes for a sweet shooting firearm.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
most deer hunters use tactical sniper bolt action rifles
I don't know a single hunter who would describe their deer rifle as a "tactical sniper bolt action"

As for which semi to use - there are dozens of options. My pick is the lowly SKS with a fixed 5 round magazine.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I use a compliant AR in 6.8 SPC. I'd imagine you could get one down to around 5 pounds before optics if you try.

I know a few people that use Remington 742's in 30-06. Current variant is the 750 and comes in 4 or 5 popular deer calibers. The 742s aren't terribly accurate but are good enough to get the job done at typical NY deer ranges.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I use a 742 woodsmaster in 30-06....Just because that is what was handed down to me when I started hunting. I would and possibly will go to a bolt or pump.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Most semi's get heavy by the end of the day but I would love an AR-10

·
Registered
588 Posts
Remington 7400/742/750, Browning BAR, Winchester model 100, Benelli R1, Ruger .44 carbine. I used a BAR in .270 for many years before I switched back to a bolt action tactical sniper rifle.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
you can build a compliant ar with an ok optic in 6.8 SPCII for something around 7-900$.....i wouldn't take my 5.56 AR's deer hunting, it isn't humane.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My other deer rifle , Savage .223 model 11

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

the following test data, which shows that the average Fusion MSR bullet penetrated nearly 15 inches of gelatin and expanded to .54 caliber. Most of a bullet's expansion happens within the first inch or so of penetration which means that the Fusion load effectively sends a .54 caliber ball through the vitals of its intended target.

Ruler Rectangle Office ruler Wood Yellow
Gelletin Federal Fusion Rem. bullet fired into 10 percent ballistic gelatin at 100 yards
(bullet expanded and penetrated to 15 inches)

Head Eye Jaw Snout Snow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts