New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that preping is key to survival. but if the time came to grab all your stuff and go how would you do it? Most of us have SHTF bags which are good but lets be honest you can't pack everything into them. I was watching red dawn earlier tonight and it got me thinking! If something like that happend what was those of us who have a bunch of guns do? If you have a car and no family fine but for the most part your not going to be able to load all your guns and family and leave. I know nobody on here is going to let another country take they're guns so what would you do?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well I have a pick up truck..so with help, I could load up everything and go :D
From my cold dead hands.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We all know that preping is key to survival. but if the time came to grab all your stuff and go how would you do it? Most of us have SHTF bags which are good but lets be honest you can't pack everything into them. I was watching red dawn earlier tonight and it got me thinking! If something like that happend what was those of us who have a bunch of guns do? If you have a car and no family fine but for the most part your not going to be able to load all your guns and family and leave. I know nobody on here is going to let another country take they're guns so what would you do?
Blindshooter - if you are living in NYC right now, you would not have the luxury of waiting to the last minute. You should think about buying some property upstate and pre-positioning your provisions there. Build yourself a range, get to know the locals - hell you might want to start living there fulltime.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Shelter in place +1.

or whatever I can stuff into my vehicle and hope its enough. The rest.., hide it. For later retrieval

·
Registered
122 Posts
Blindshooter - if you are living in NYC right now, you would not have the luxury of waiting to the last minute. You should think about buying some property upstate and pre-positioning your provisions there. Build yourself a range, get to know the locals - hell you might want to start living there fulltime.
+1 on this. Blindshooter, some of us already live where we would "bug out" to. It makes it much easier as there is a LOT of stuff (food, etc.) needed to be prepared for any longer kind of disruption.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Military writers refer to urban dwellers as "DIP's" which stands for "Die in place". 20 million urban dwellers in the NYC area. Just picture them hungry and panicked. Bugging out of NYC would be a tactical and strategic nightmare.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This why I bought where I did . We ain't moving as we have pretty much everything under control . We have been without power for up to 2weeks without any lose of anything . Tractor powered gen pack . I didn't do all of this over nite . It takes time but location,location ,location . This why we are where we are . You have to be able to let some things go and push other things , example we cook on an 1913 kitchen wood stove , it works very well plus it's always warm in there Plus I have learned to make bread and all kinds of pastries so it's location location location ! Whatever you decide just make it yours as there are guns stashed all over this place ( we rarely have any body from out of town but we are ready at anytime . Plus the best part is there is always a way to make a buck . This is from the sticks

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Military writers refer to urban dwellers as "DIP's" which stands for "Die in place". 20 million urban dwellers in the NYC area. Just picture them hungry and panicked. Bugging out of NYC would be a tactical and strategic nightmare.
we have a winner ..... if you live in the city and think your going anywhere during a massive emergency, your only fooling yourself. When 9/11 happened the 1st thing the emergency services command did was shut down ALL bridges and tunnels into and out of the city, the only vehicles allowed were emergency response. Anyone who wanted off manhattan had to walk out across. Even if your in a outer borough your going nowhere, ask yourself how bad is normal rush hour traffic on a major road, highway or interstate when some dipstick sideswipe's another car and times it by 1000, think atlanta a few weeks back. Your best bet is to stay where you are and wait for things to settle back to normal if possible.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Curious where you got your number from since the entire state only houses about 19,600,000 people and around 8.5 mil in the city.
Regardless, your correct about one thing, no-one will be bugging out. It would be near impossible for anyone with a 4 wheeled vehicle.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
City dwellers may not find the utopia they seek by invading upstate. Better have things to offer as trade or all you carry will be taken from you. We're a hardy bunch who have been without power many times before and survival mode is not new to us. I suggest a few camping trips to the back country, not a campground, armed only with what you can carry in one trip. Stay a week and see how you fare, you will be adjusting your plans.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
we have a winner ..... if you live in the city and think your going anywhere during a massive emergency, your only fooling yourself. When 9/11 happened the 1st thing the emergency services command did was shut down ALL bridges and tunnels into and out of the city, the only vehicles allowed were emergency response. Anyone who wanted off manhattan had to walk out across. Even if your in a outer borough your going nowhere, ask yourself how bad is normal rush hour traffic on a major road, highway or interstate when some dipstick sideswipe's another car and times it by 1000, think atlanta a few weeks back. Your best bet is to stay where you are and wait for things to settle back to normal if possible.
Correcto mundo to a degree...Manhattan will be turned into a secured fortress, by the NG and military. Brooklyn/queens residents will be hosed, essentially on their own, and long ago, FEMA wrote off Long Island. The Bronx OTOH, is the only borough/county connected to the continental US and escape is feasible via city streets and highways. Best bet for city dwellers is to be well supplied, with a good supply of food and water, lanterns, gas stoves etc. and some sort of weapon with which to defend yourself. Forget about running around the city with a 12 gauge fighting your way out. that's pure fantasy. Go to youtube and search LA (Rodney King)Riots or Detroit riots to get some idea of what an urban battleground looks like, for those too young to remember them.
It's a lot more complicated than anything you are going to read here, but going back to the eighties, the FEMA plan for NYC was (and still is, probably) that every zip code in the city has a corresponding host zip code area upstate where the city zippers will be relocated to. that was the reason for all those school buses in NO during Katrina.
For all intents and purposes, NYC residents are on their own. FWIW, I've viewed/read some urban prepper/survival youtube videos and websites, and one thing i noted is that they were always created by someone who has never lived through a blackout or urban riot.
It's fun research though.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
exactly what warrendee said. Even if you do manage to exit the city, unless you already have somewhere to travel too, where are you going ? No way is anyone pitching a tent on my front lawn and the Holiday Inn is booked up.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Curious where you got your number from since the entire state only houses about 19,600,000 people and around 8.5 mil in the city.
Regardless, your correct about one thing, no-one will be bugging out. It would be near impossible for anyone with a 4 wheeled vehicle.
20 million is the urban estimate in the "tri-state" area.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Just get on the train/bus that will whisk you away to your new future at one of the many fine FEMA camps ;)
But yes as mentioned before people won't be too trusting up here thats for sure - don't expect open arms and hugs for all - As an upstate resident I think your best bet would be Jersey :D .... kidding .... someone mentioned going and doing some back country camping and see what its like - that will be your life for a while if you are lugging your stuff in a pack .... If wee need to go I will throw what I can in a 96 cherokee and have at it .... we have several destinations that have basic supplies in them already ( like 2 or 3 weeks worth) but will still need to get there .... If you have a vehicle with limited space you need to determine what will stay behind so there is no question when the time comes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another alternative for those stuck in NYC would be to consider a watercraft. One of those inflatables with some sort of motor would allow you to get away from the urban areas, and maybe find a quiet spot. I would think that it would allow more flexibility than trying to cross multiple bridges and tunnels. Those bridges and tunnels are choke points that could become killing zones.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts