New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
new here I'm sure people post about this all the time but couldn't find any info (for ny) on how to prove a mag i bought is pre ban that is not date stamped the ones i have both dont have stamps thanks for the help

· Registered
543 Posts
Im new as well.
I have been searching around myself for pre-ban mags.

From what I have read anything after 94 will be date stamped with the after 1994 date it was made as well as markings like law enforcement use only. Not sure if theres a definitive way to tell if its not date stamped. But most likely its pre-ban (from what Ive read)

Theres a few threads about it if you want to read up

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Sometimes there is no way to tell. It isn't up to you to prove it is pre-ban, but rather the DA to prove it is not. The question is are you willing to carry a mag of unknown date. Some people are and some are not.

· Registered
86 Posts
I talked to a friend of mine who is an LEO and he even admitted it is extremely difficult to tell if an unstamped USGI magazine is preban or not. I have a few preban magazines that aren't stamped which when I go to a range or a place I may encounter someone asking me about the magazines I am using I always bring my date stamped magazines

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Most LEO's I know will not even care when it was made as long as it is not obviously post 1994, stamped with a date, or as long as it does not say "restricted LE/Govt only" on it.

Otherwise, do your own homework and look up the differences in the configurations. Glocks has a bunch of differing vintages and so do most of the other makers....just gotta ask them or do the research.

But...as said already, it is not up to YOU to prove it's legal. It's up the DA to prove it is not. Most will not waste their time on that one tiny issue (to them) unless they need to build a case around other crimes. If that's the case, you got more important stuff to worry about than the mag!

· Registered
522 Posts
buy mags from co. that went oob b4 the ban.. ie adventureline :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.